New PC rig upgrade questions

Hi there,

I'm upgrading from an old i5 3570k with GTX 970.

I use my PC for work and heavy gaming (really heavy), but i don't play completely esports or anything, mostly casual, additionally as Plex server, VM, Testing web server.

I won't upgrade the storage now, so I'm staying with my SSD and SATA drives for now.

I play on 60hz Monitor with vsync so i will cap to 60 fps at 1440p, or occasionally 4K to my TV with lower settings and i don't plan to change this.

I don't plan to OC unless needed in the future also don't plan to use PBO as any of the choices should be fine for 1440p 60fps if needed without AA i don't mind it, just prefer good frame pacing.

I wonder between:

x570 mobo with ryzen 3700x and 2070 super

OR

B450 board, Ryzen 3600 and 2080 super

Both will be roughly the same price

I know that x570 with 3700x will give me much more headroom for gpu upgrade in the future, but i 2080 super will give me more now. Whats your toughs.

For RAM:

There isn't much choice at my local stores so basically CL16 2x 8GB 3200 or CL16/18 2x 8GB 3600 I know CL 14 is better but with double the price i don't think its worth it at most i saw 3 fps difference, you can share your view.

For the Case

I wanted to go with CM H500 or CM 694 but both are not available out of stock at the moment, so maybe go with Thermaltake Commander C35, really there isn't much options for HAF cases...

For PSU

I think between 650W or 750W Seasonic Focus platinum

For CPU cooling

Arctic esports 34 Duo

or

Hyper 212 black/rbg/turbo etc

I would like your input and thoughts, thank you.

44 minutes ago, Boby said:

Hi there,

I'm upgrading from an old i5 3570k with GTX 970.

I play on 60hz Monitor with vsync so i will cap to 60 fps at 1440p, or occasionally 4K to my TV with lower settings and i don't plan to change this.

I don't plan to OC unless

I wonder between:

x570 mobo with ryzen 3700x and 2070 super

OR

B450 board, Ryzen 3600 and 2080 super

Both will be roughly the same price

For RAM:

There isn't much choice at my local stores so basically CL16 2x 8GB 3200 or CL16/18 2x 8GB 3600 I know CL 14 is better but with double the price i don't think its worth it at most i saw 3 fps difference, you can share your view.

For PSU

I think between 650W or 750W Seasonic Focus platinum

For CPU cooling

Arctic esports 34 Duo

or

Hyper 212 black/rbg/turbo etc

I would like your input and thoughts, thank you.

For the CPU and motherboard, at 1440P and 4K at 60HZ there will be absolutely no difference between the 3600 and 3700X in terms of framerate. You will be capped at 60 FPS. At 1080P at high refresh rate, the 3700X would have given you slightly better performance. Go with the 3600 and B450 mobo.

Go with the RTX 2080. Especially at 4K you need all the GPU power you can get.  I would wait a few weeks until the RTX 2080 Super comes out. Probably will offer better performance for the same price.

RAM: Stick with the cheaper ram. You won't notice the difference. The performance difference between ram speeds is like 5% at most, and only at high refresh rates. People always hype up RAM speeds, but for 99% of users it makes very little difference, or at least is not worth the cost.

PSU: 650W will be more than enough. Can you not use the PSU from your current rig?

Cooler: Those coolers are probably fine, but if you are not OC'ing or using PBO, the stock cooler is likely good enough. If you really want a cooler upgrade, I would get a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro or a Noctua DH-14 or DH-15 or something. The Coolermaster / Artic are probably fine, but not the best.

(EDIT: Looked up some benchmarks: The Dark Rock Pro 4 would run you like 5C cooler at slightly lower noise level; The Artic and Coolermaster are not bad though)

Good luck!

Thx,

My old rig i will re-purpose for other job so i need the PSU, and it is 550w anyway, the only thing that i will take is the storage.

For the coolers, your suggestions are better for sure but at much higher price and i want the cooler not for OC but for being quiet mainly, as this will lower all fan speeds. Stock cooler is not good enough for that. As for the combo, maybe b450, 3700x and 2070 super is the best match as they are all exactly mid range, i will think about it more.

Totally agree on the ram.

11 minutes ago, Boby said:

As for the combo, maybe b450, 3700x and 2070 super is the best match as they are all exactly mid range, i will think about it more.

No problem.

Well, The 3700X is a great CPU, and you get 8 cores, which is beneficial for multicore workloads or streaming + gaming. But if you purely game, the 3600 will offer exactly the same performance for you at 60HZ or 1440P and above.

2070 Super is a good card, but at that point, I would get the Radeon 5700Xt, since it is $100 cheaper and only like 2% slower. I would only get the Nvidia if you are going to the RTX 2080 or 2080 Super or above (or if you care about Ray tracing, i personally dont).

As i said, i use also as Plex Server, so it 3700x looks a bit more appealing for the extra cores if the Plex starts transcoding while I'm gaming for example.

As for the 2070 super vs 5700 xt, you are probably right in terms of performance, but drivers and software features is where i really dislike AMD GPU's and judging by the GN navi review they are not better in this regard. Additionally, in the type of work i do, nVidia has a couple of small advantages like color reproduction and color compression, so going to AMD GPU is really not an option for me personally even if it out performs nvidia for cheaper price :)