Is this monitor dead?

sean_codes

Hi!!

Suddenly my monitor stopped operating :<

When I unplugged everything and turned back on this is how it looks:

20190710_230243.thumb.jpg.c9bc301ca52442c296440582fba3cee5.jpg

My first time seeing a monitor die this way. Since it's out of warranty is there anything I can try to fix? 

Model: LG 38UC99-W

There probably isn't much you can do.

If you're comfortable doing so, you could try opening it up to see if any of the electronics are bad or if it's the panel itself that's dying, then attempt repair if it's the electronics.

You'll probably just have to replace it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You could see if you can find the scaler board, or a cracked same model monitor on ebay/aliexpress and replace all the non-screen electronics in yours from that unit.

Okay! I have taken the back panel off and the components out. There seems to be two main boards. One with the ports. Then one under that. And four smaller ones towards to bottom.

Part with the ports:

20190711_003439.thumb.jpg.8b01b9a5c638141b6b220ad1f4f056c0.jpg

Part under that:

20190711_004756.thumb.jpg.66a3c1e00b51d3b7fe7ba86d086ecb00.jpg

Scanning slowly across each of the boards I am not seeing anything melted/damaged/unusual.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions!! If there is any part / area in particular you would like me to examine I can do that also!

Scaler is the board with the inputs, the driver sits between that and the boards that connect directly to the LCD.  The boards on the LCD itself are not generally serviceable.

The failure you are seeing is likely with the scaler/driver, though it is possible the screen itself is dead.

That stripe in the middle, does it react when the input image changes?  Like a massively corrupted version of the input signal?