Need help choosing case fans :)

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
4 hours ago, D1Wolfgang said:

Some 10 dollar Cooler Master fans. ill link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026ZPFCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Btw, they say they run at 19 dB, but that doesn't seem right, that means my new fans would be just as loud :| uh oh.

And idk, it was some random guy that said the frequency the fans hummed at is a frequency known to make people more irritable. lol. maybe a troll. 

My CPU is obviously occupied, and the 3 Chassis Fan spots would be, so where would I plug my other fan into?

Wouldn't that be where a 3 or 4 pin to molex adapter help? 

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I#customerReviews

Sickleflows are mediocre at best and are a good example of bull specs or at least specs not being reliable for comparisons between manufacturers. There's little to no regulation on how they're measured so I highly recommend sticking with reviews and in-depth benchmarks instead. 

The aio_pump and w_pump headers can be used as normal fan headers. 

You linked a pwm hub which acts as a powered splitter and would be good if you need to split a pwm signal to more fans. When '3-4pin fan to molex adapter' is mentioned, it's generally just for power at 100% rpm. The first 2pins are ground and 12v and any 3rd and 4th pin are generally just dummies. Like this:

Spoiler

na-4pin-to-2x3pin-ss-large.jpg

Sup, so I want to make my PC quieter.  I have some really cheap, loud $10 fans from Amazon right now.  Since it's really hard to imagine the noise fans would make, how do you think I'd fair with 4 Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 (Highspeed, PWM) fans? That'd run me about 80 bucks.  The normal speed ones clock in about 16.8 decibels, but the high-speed ones are like 20. I assume I could cap the high-speed ones down to the normal speed and have the same sound.  That would offer me more expandability too, so if it's hot, I could set the rpm higher.  I'd have 2 intake on the front, one top, and one back - both exhaust.  I'd be using these with a Wraith Prism RGB.  I know, it gets loud, but I've noticed that's only when it's alone in cooling my pc.  If I have my other fans running, it almost never flares up and makes too much noise.  

So 4 Silent Wings 3 with a Wraith Prism RGB... Do you think it would be nice and quiet? 

I plan on switching to a Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Cryorig R1 Universal (For the white color) CPU cooler if I want even quieter, but I want to keep my Prism's RGB, so I'd rather not. 

P.S. I saw a review saying that the frequency of the hum the Silent Wing fans make induces more rage than usual... Any truth to this? 

EDIT: I'm cooling a 2700x and have a 1080Ti by the way.

Thoughts become things. What you hold in your mind, you will hold in your hand. 

Be happy for yourself.

My rig :) :

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tX4hWD

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive   
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: AOC - G2770PQU 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  
Custom: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms 

yeah, if you want some cheaper fans, phanteks, or pure wings 2 are good. SW3 are probably top 3 fans (ML120, SW3, GT for 120mm) (noctua A14, Thermalright, ML140, SW3 for 140mm)

If you want a good RGB cpu cooler, the Gammax GT performs a good bit better than a wraith prism (10c) and its only 40$.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

yeah, if you want some cheaper fans, phanteks, or pure wings 2 are good. SW3 are probably top 3 fans (ML120, SW3, GT for 120mm) (noctua A14, Thermalright, ML140, SW3 for 140mm)

If you want a good RGB cpu cooler, the Gammax GT performs a good bit better than a wraith prism (10c) and its only 40$.

Do you think that the Gammax GT could cool a 2700x? I think the Wraith comes with different Ryzen 7's so I'll add an edit saying I'm cooling a 2700x.

I'd only consider other fans if there was a monumental difference because I don't like to get overwhelmed with tech choices. 

Also, I assume my Asus Prime x470-pro has enough room for 4 PWM fans... right? Do the fans come with an extender of some sort? 

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

24 minutes ago, D1Wolfgang said:

Do you think that the Gammax GT could cool a 2700x? I think the Wraith comes with different Ryzen 7's so I'll add an edit saying I'm cooling a 2700x.

I'd only consider other fans if there was a monumental difference because I don't like to get overwhelmed with tech choices. 

Also, I assume my Asus Prime x470-pro has enough room for 4 PWM fans... right? Do the fans come with an extender of some sort? 

The Gammax GT looks like it will be about as good as the hyper 212. I wouldn't recommend this as an upgrade over the Wraith Prism that comes with your CPU. Instead, I would recommend adding some Corsair ML120's or ML140s to your case (These are the fans I use in my case, and they are nice and quiet). Air coolers are only good if you have decent airflow in your case. Otherwise you end up recycling hot air through the cpu. 

44 minutes ago, D1Wolfgang said:

I have some really cheap, loud $10 fans from Amazon right now.

P.S. I saw a review saying that the frequency of the hum the Silent Wing fans make induces more rage than usual... Any truth to this? 

What fans?

Which review? They should be very quiet. 

34 minutes ago, D1Wolfgang said:

Do you think that the Gammax GT could cool a 2700x?

I assume my Asus Prime x470-pro has enough room for 4 PWM fans... right? Do the fans come with an extender of some sort? 

Yes, the Gammaxx GT is a bit better than the Wraith Prism but probably isn't worth changing to.

Yes, the motherboard has 7 fan headers that should support toggling between pwm and dc. 

No, the fans don't come with extensions. Would you need them? What case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Some 10 dollar Cooler Master fans. ill link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026ZPFCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Btw, they say they run at 19 dB, but that doesn't seem right, that means my new fans would be just as loud :| uh oh.

And idk, it was some random guy that said the frequency the fans hummed at is a frequency known to make people more irritable. lol. maybe a troll. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, the Gammaxx GT is a bit better than the Wraith Prism but probably isn't worth changing to.

Yes, the motherboard has 7 fan headers that should support toggling between pwm and dc. 

No, the fans don't come with extensions. Would you need them? What case are you using?

those 7 fan headers include the pump header and stuff, right? I've only noticed 3 FAN headers, besides the CPU header, an RGB header, plus one or two aio fans and stuff. I guess they work the same? And the extensions I was referencing were these Molex connectors I have to add more fans to each header. It's a 3pin to Molex, currently. I don't see more than 3 fan headers.

I'll paste the exact manual specifications:

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin)
1 x AIO_PUMP connector (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x W_PUMP+ connector (1 x 4 -pin)

via: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/specifications/

My CPU is obviously occupied, and the 3 Chassis Fan spots would be, so where would I plug my other fan into? Wouldn't that be where a 3 or 4 pin to molex adapter help? 

this:

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I#customerReviews

seems like it's what I need to answer the latter question. 

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Most likely going to go with 4 Silent Wings 3 120mm, PWM, High-speed with a fan hub to power them all. I'll let this sit for a bit, so correct me if I should do something different.

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, D1Wolfgang said:

My CPU is obviously occupied, and the 3 Chassis Fan spots would be, so where would I plug my other fan into?

Wouldn't that be where a 3 or 4 pin to molex adapter help? 

Sickleflows are mediocre at best and are a good example of bull specs or at least specs not being reliable for comparisons between manufacturers. There's little to no regulation on how they're measured so I highly recommend sticking with reviews and in-depth benchmarks instead. 

You linked a pwm hub which acts as a powered splitter and would be good if you need to split a pwm signal to more fans. When '3-4pin fan to molex adapter' is mentioned, it's generally just for power at 100% rpm. The first 2pins are ground and 12v and any 3rd and 4th pin are generally just dummies. Like this:

Spoiler

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Reveal hidden contents

Marked as solved, because you gave the most info, but thx everyone. I'm confident in my purchase :) Have a great day

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler

Update for people looking for info: Great fans... Very very quiet. I got the high-speed and I CAN hear them when they're loud, but they stay near-silent 85% of the time. Some noise when starting programs, apps, etc. but that's more because of my CPU cooler. 

Be happy for yourself.

Spoiler