USB port wire snapped

Scuiba

I am building a new pc and tbh don’t know what I’m doing when I was messing around the wire you plug into the motherboard for the usb 2.0 port snapped what do I do?

C9E09A25-E7D8-4167-A974-40B38650C913.jpeg

Edited by Scuiba

Define snapped ... is it cut, did it come out the connector?

Is it just one one or the whole cable?

If just one wire,  if it came out the connector, it may be possible to reinsert it . If it's broken , you could just strip a bit of insulation from the wire ends and solder the ends together (or worst case scenario twist the ends together) and use some electrical tape to insulate the wire.

Or you could just leave it unconnected (just wrap some insulation so the wires won't touch the case or whatever)

a picture of what happened might be helpful 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

23 hours ago, Scuiba said:

4EBC326E-77F8-431A-8A60-43FE5BA59A0C.jpeg

Do you have a 2010s phone/camera, looks like you took it in the 90s,  on this site The more information you have the more likely you will get help.   And take a better multiple  pictures so we can analyze 

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

It looks like the wire got ripped out of the metal contact that's inserted into the plastic shell.

If it's the black wire (ground), you can scrape the insulation off the other black wire (without breaking it)  and then twist the wire around the other wire so they both make good contact. Then use some electrical tape to insulate the wires, so other things don't touch the exposed wire.

You can use a safety blade, razor blade, exacto knife, whatever to carefully cut a bit of insulation from that other black wire.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can use a safety blade, razor blade, exacto knife, whatever to carefully cut a bit of insulation from that other black wire.

Or if he has them he could use a pair of wire strippers.