Network layout advice!!

Jayztec

I'm looking for advice on what I'm requiring to achieve my aim (Networking is not my strong point).

I live in shared accommodation wich has wireless access points down each wing that also has a few spare ethernet ports on them,  what I'm looking for is to remote off this in to my room providing me with enough ethernet ports to connect my devices rather then connecting them wirelessly. 

The layout is currently Modem - Router - Switch - WAP.... 

Also I don't have access to the switch.

So you want a way to tap into the AP and from there run all your main devices wired? That's not a problem but as far as utilizing the extra port on the AP there's no guarantee it'll work depending on how the switch/router security is configured. What you can try is setting up a very small computer with both a wired & wireless NIC. Connect the computer wirelessly then share that NICs connection with the other NIC. From there run a Ethernet cable from that computer to a switch. The computer will act as a sort of gateway for all of your devices. The first big issue you'll run into is bandwidth & latency though so I wouldn't expect to be downloading massive files or playing any MMO games (unless you can connect to 5GHz or 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Higher speeds, lower latency). If you do have permission to touch the AP you can try running that port to a switch in your room then hook everything up to that. It may work. It depends on how everything's configured in the building.