Cables question

espr3ss0

Specs, i9 9900k / Noctua nh-d15 / Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro+, Motherboard is MSI Gaming Edge AC.

I haven't hooked up any but the 24pin cable, I have a few questions ...

On the Motherboard the CPU power there are 2 slots 1x8 pin 1x4 pin do I need all plugged in ? The PCIe cable for GPU has 2 ends 2x8 and the GPU takes both, is the one cable enough ?

Also I have Corsairs's Spec 06 and x3 LL120 RGB Fans, wondering if I need to connect them all together for sync color control or are they separate units ? Not including the 1 back 1 top Fans. Not sure if there's anything else atm.

The PSU is Corsair AX850 Titanium.

18 hours ago, espr3ss0 said:

On the Motherboard the CPU power there are 2 slots 1x8 pin 1x4 pin do I need all plugged in

That secondary 4pin is there only to satisfy the CPU's more current drawing needs when it's been heavily overclocked, that's it. You could get away with plugging just the 8pin in and I guess with your PSU, there's no 4pin connector at all?

18 hours ago, espr3ss0 said:

? The PCIe cable for GPU has 2 ends 2x8 and the GPU takes both, is the one cable enough

I wouldn't recommend doing that though. Your GPU vendor's reference design may be suited to work with both 8pins connected.

console.log("way to pro");

Thanks. Didn't notice but there are 2x4 pin looking like 1x8 and I've plugged all in just incase. The GPU I've plugged in 2 cables even though apparently 1 cable with 2 8's might do but again is overclocking so just incase.

Still can't find any way to link the case lighting to the fan hub / controller, just would be nice to sync them all.

Although in this vid shows they can be ... 

For the motherboard CPU connectors, you only need the 8 pin. The 4 pin does as much for overclocking as RGB. For the GPU, connect both connectors, and use two separate cables. Do not use two connectors on the same cable. 

:)

On 7/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, espr3ss0 said:

Also I have Corsairs's Spec 06 and x3 LL120 RGB Fans, wondering if I need to connect them all together for sync color control or are they separate units ? Not including the 1 back 1 top Fans. Not sure if there's anything else atm.

The PSU is Corsair AX850 Titanium.

You'll want to connect the LED connector on the fan to the LED hub that that comes with 3-pack starting at port 1.  They will need to be connected in series, and and ideally the same series the fans are mounted in the case so dynamic lighting effects display correctly.  The diagram below is a basic setup, with the COommander Pro being able to be substituted for a Lighting Node Pro if you want only LED control.

image.png.10c23da362fc1277fdbd806b3f3e89b1.png

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

Initially what I'm wondering is what is the difference? In the vid his case controller looks ...

1670151439_Screenshot2019-07-12at19_46_16.png.7893100518d150a49963be70cbb90f10.png

And for some reason what I have doesn't look like a socket rather than a whole ...

IMG_0077.jpg.352e23c49f5b8783c6f211e67f7830ee.jpg

But what you're saying is I need to replace the Node Pro with the Commander? Does it come with the right cables or are they additional ?

On 7/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, Corsair Nick said:

You'll want to connect the LED connector on the fan to the LED hub that that comes with 3-pack starting at port 1.  They will need to be connected in series, and and ideally the same series the fans are mounted in the case so dynamic lighting effects display correctly.  The diagram below is a basic setup, with the COommander Pro being able to be substituted for a Lighting Node Pro if you want only LED control.

image.png.10c23da362fc1277fdbd806b3f3e89b1.png

You know, I took this all apart in my 500DSE to better cable manage it all... and jesus this would have been helpful then. I'm not the smartest person, and the lack of any manual with that setup was interesting. Took me a while to work it out. It'll be interesting when I grab another RGB fan for the rear and then flip my 115i fans to be intake with the fronts for positive pressure.

Ooc, what'd you recommend between the LL120, or ML120?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

On 7/12/2019 at 11:49 AM, espr3ss0 said:

Initially what I'm wondering is what is the difference? In the vid his case controller looks ...

1670151439_Screenshot2019-07-12at19_46_16.png.7893100518d150a49963be70cbb90f10.png

But what you're saying is I need to replace the Node Pro with the Commander? Does it come with the right cables or are they additional ?

Can you post the link to the video?  That looks like an SP120 RGB fan controller.

Only replace the LNP with a Commander Pro if you want fan speed control.  As long as you have the 6-port RGB Fan LED Hub in the picture above, you'll be good.  These are included with cases that come with RGB fans (excl. SPEC-Delta) and multi-pack RGB fans.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

On 7/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

You know, I took this all apart in my 500DSE to better cable manage it all... and jesus this would have been helpful then. I'm not the smartest person, and the lack of any manual with that setup was interesting. Took me a while to work it out. It'll be interesting when I grab another RGB fan for the rear and then flip my 115i fans to be intake with the fronts for positive pressure.

Ooc, what'd you recommend between the LL120, or ML120?

Depends on priority.  If you're looking for the best performance, ML120, for aesthetics LL120.  Either one will perform well in the opposite characteristic.  Keep in mind that if you mix different fans, they need to be on a different LED channel for the lighting effects to display correctly.  I have LL120's in my 500D SE as well, and pretty happy with the results.

3 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Depends on priority.  If you're looking for the best performance, ML120, for aesthetics LL120.  Either one will perform well in the opposite characteristic.  Keep in mind that if you mix different fans, they need to be on a different LED channel for the lighting effects to display correctly.  I have LL120's in my 500D SE as well, and pretty happy with the results.

Won't be an issue, since the ML120s on the 115i are on their own thing with the pump, so I'd need to add them to the front channel since my other one is for the LED strip. Not terribly worried about perf, this thing has yet to ever thermal throttle.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

45 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Won't be an issue, since the ML120s on the 115i are on their own thing with the pump, so I'd need to add them to the front channel since my other one is for the LED strip. Not terribly worried about perf, this thing has yet to ever thermal throttle.

Ah ok, you have a H115i Platinum, which makes things easier.  Yeah I would stick with those on the cooler, and use the channel on your LNP or Commander Pro for the LL120's.  In iCUE, the ML's will be under the pump lighting setup, and the LL's and LED strips will be under the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro.

Thoughts about moving the H115i Platinum radiator to the top, and run the LL120's in the front?

Just now, Corsair Nick said:

Ah ok, you have a H115i Platinum, which makes things easier.  Yeah I would stick with those on the cooler, and use the channel on your LNP or Commander Pro for the LL120's.  In iCUE, the ML's will be under the pump lighting setup, and the LL's and LED strips will be under the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro.

Thoughts about moving the H115i Platinum radiator to the top, and run the LL120's in the front?

That's my current setup. As I don't have a rear exhaust though, the top mounted 115i is running as an exhaust so I'm having to dust frequently. Soon as I get another LL120, I'll flip the fans on the rad to intake, and run the single exhaust for positive pressure to help deal with the dust build up. I can post pics if you'd like to see the rig? (Build is in my signature though).

Solid build.  Pics would be cool, curious to see it all looks.

Going to have to check my top filter because it's pretty out of sight out of mind compared to the front w/ a glass panel.  Front filter has remained really clean the last 6 months, so I never bothered to check the top.

20 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Solid build.  Pics would be cool, curious to see it all looks.

Going to have to check my top filter because it's pretty out of sight out of mind compared to the front w/ a glass panel.  Front filter has remained really clean the last 6 months, so I never bothered to check the top.

Not sure how to put the album in the order I want but uh... 

Not that I wanted to hijack your thread at all @espr3ss0. 100% though, plug all the RGB fans together because you can get some really nice effects from it. In terms of CPU power, plug in the 8 and 4-pin EPS, and plug in both 8-pin power for the GPU. You ideally, shouldn't have power connections missing with incredibly rare circumstances.