Air cooler for new ryzen 3800x/3600x

Retch

I know the wraith prism is a decent cooler for ryzen at stock and pbo, but from benchhmarks it seems that their boost still benefit slightly for going from a prism to something like a 280mm aio. I am more interested in an aircooler because of the price/perormance. Now I know some of the best air coolers are noctua nh-u12a and nh-d15, but they are a bit on the more expensive side. Im planning on selling the wraith prism that i get with my system (I guess 15-20 dollars is possible to salvage?) and im wondering if something like a bequiet dark rock 4 (not pro) or even an arctic freezer 34 duo would be enough of an upgrade for ryzen to see a noticeable difference from the wraith prism?

Also, I wanna know if i would go with 3600x which has an even worse stockcooler, where is the line drawn for a significant upgrade?

I want pbo to be able to run pretty much as high as possible and if i Have to pay 100 dollars for a cooler, so be it, but if you guys think it's possible with cheaper cooler obviously that would be great!

nhd15 and drp4 perform quite close to each other, if you got the money for one, go for it

you'll never have to worry about cooling again

If you can get it the Thermalright - Macho Rev.B is great value, performs within 1-2 celsius of the NH-D15 at half the price. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

nhd15 and drp4 perform quite close to each other, if you got the money for one, go for it

you'll never have to worry about cooling again

even if i decide to go for 3600x? or will something cheaper be able to reach the max pbo for that cpu you think? (considering how older gens of ryzen worked)

Just now, Retch said:

even if i decide to go for 3600x? or will something cheaper be able to reach the max pbo for that cpu you think? (considering how older gens of ryzen worked)

i can't say for sure yet, because the reviewers bios had some problems with power, which wouldn't let it go past 145w on many boards

Why? 

Box cooler is enough to get over 95% of PBO headroom. Spending $100 for another 5% is weird, as you should just get Intel in that case:

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

Why? 

Box cooler is enough to get over 95% of PBO headroom. Spending $100 for another 5% is weird, as you should just get Intel in that case:

but doesnt it get annoyingly loud with the wraith prism tho?

Also, in sweden the price difference between 3800x and 9900k is about 100+dollars. Add to that I am buying a b450 tomahawk for only 100 dollars instead of a more expensive z390 mobo for the intel counterpart + thaty i might be able to resell the wraith prism for 20 dollars or smth and i am (even with a good cooler for both cpus) still saving about 120-150 dollars

27 minutes ago, Retch said:

but doesnt it get annoyingly loud with the wraith prism tho?

Also, in sweden the price difference between 3800x and 9900k is about 100+dollars. Add to that I am buying a b450 tomahawk for only 100 dollars instead of a more expensive z390 mobo for the intel counterpart + thaty i might be able to resell the wraith prism for 20 dollars or smth and i am (even with a good cooler for both cpus) still saving about 120-150 dollars

yeah! I always recommend to first give the box a try and when its to loud/hot for you get Noctua 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Coming from a Wraith Prism myself before switching to a beefier and quieter air cooling solution, I can say that the stock cooler is really loud when ambient temps rise or when your gaming or rendering. Its only worth to keep if you run at out of the box settings for the CPU but PBO I suggest the one's aforementioned like the beastly noctua and the dark rock pro 4 or even the thermalright macho and similar tower coolers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X; GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z; MoBo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX; RAM: TForce Delta TUF RGB 3200MHz (2x8) 16GB; 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB TG; PSU: Seasonic Prime FX Gold 750W Fully Modular; CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MA620P; Storage: WD Blue 250GB SATA SSD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM; Monitor: MSI MAG241C 144Hz Curved Gaming Panel; Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Brown); Mouse: Fantech X11 Daredevil   

The DR4 or Freezer 34 Duo are a good step up in cooling performance over the stock cooler. Whether they're the best options available would depend on pricing. 

What case and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The DR4 or Freezer 34 Duo are a good step up in cooling performance over the stock cooler. Whether they're the best options available would depend on pricing. 

What case and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Pricing in sweden is 49$ for freezer 34 duo, 73$ for dr4 and 94$ for drp4. I dont have a "hard budget" to go after, if the drp4 is necessary then so be it, but i'd rather not spend more than necessary if there are diminishing returns after a certain cooler for ryzen.

2. carbide 275r and g. skill flare x 3200cl14

I am leaning towards going balls to the walls with the drp4 (like the look more than noctua and have heard they are pretty much equal) since im already spending so much on ram and cpu and i want this pc to last me for at least 5 years (the one im using right now with an i7 3770 has lasted me since 2012)

11 hours ago, Retch said:

1. Pricing in sweden is 49$ for freezer 34 duo, 73$ for dr4 and 94$ for drp4. I dont have a "hard budget" to go after, if the drp4 is necessary then so be it, but i'd rather not spend more than necessary if there are diminishing returns after a certain cooler for ryzen.

2. carbide 275r and g. skill flare x 3200cl14

I am leaning towards going balls to the walls with the drp4 (like the look more than noctua and have heard they are pretty much equal) since im already spending so much on ram and cpu and i want this pc to last me for at least 5 years (the one im using right now with an i7 3770 has lasted me since 2012)

The DRP4 is excellent but there are similar and cheaper options available.

As mentioned, the Macho Rev. B is a great option that's very quiet albeit not as quiet as the DRP4: https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=2894845

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Save the 50$/£ and go for the 3600 or 3700x, put the savings towards an nhd15 or another upgrade.