Killer WiFi problems

juice_boxer
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
31 minutes ago, juice_boxer said:

Yes my other devices get good speeds and this laptop is the only not, I am connected to a 2.4ghz WiFi not Ethernet.

You'll want to connect to the 5GHz network then re-test. Although 2.4GHz is capable of getting around 50-60mbps when you're close to the router, 5GHz is required to attain speeds higher than this maximum due to it being the WiFi frequency capable of doing such things.

I got a new gaming laptop and the download speeds suck, 7mb/sec and it should be getting 50mb at least. I saw that killer wifi cards also suck and mine is a 1550 one. What can I do to fix it, I already updated the drivers for it and deleted all killer programs, deleted anti virus and smartbyte. None helped.

1 hour ago, juice_boxer said:

I got a new gaming laptop and the download speeds suck, 7mb/sec and it should be getting 50mb at least. I saw that killer wifi cards also suck and mine is a 1550 one. What can I do to fix it, I already updated the drivers for it and deleted all killer programs, deleted anti virus and smartbyte. None helped.

Are you connecting to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz network broadcasting from your wireless access point? Also, do other devices on your WiFi get decent speeds? Please list the make & model of your wireless hardware too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, juice_boxer said:

killer wifi cards also suck

i have a 1435 and it works fine, however that kind of performance is really bad, considering you have such a new chip, 

also looking it up your chip doesnt support 802.11 h/ v / r / w

so maybe your router is a bit old, not sure, you can try using ethernet just to be sure your router is working properly, and/or your chip is working fine too 

hopefully you get it fixed,

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Are you connecting to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz network broadcasting from your wireless access point? Also, do other devices on your WiFi get decent speeds? Please list the make & model of your wireless hardware too.

Yes my other devices get good speeds and this laptop is the only not, I am connected to a 2.4ghz WiFi not Ethernet.

31 minutes ago, juice_boxer said:

You'll want to connect to the 5GHz network then re-test. Although 2.4GHz is capable of getting around 50-60mbps when you're close to the router, 5GHz is required to attain speeds higher than this maximum due to it being the WiFi frequency capable of doing such things.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

I’m an idiot, I connected to the wrong WiFi, I have no idea why or how I connected to the wrong WiFi. Now I get at least 20mb/second which is slow for most people but my usual speed which is a lot better then 3mb/second

5 minutes ago, juice_boxer said:

I’m an idiot, I connected to the wrong WiFi, I have no idea why or how I connected to the wrong WiFi. Now I get at least 20mb/second which is slow for most people but my usual speed which is a lot better then 3mb/second

This is why they pay me the big bucks. Wait. Shit. I don't get paid for this. Right, um.... please to send money. I'm going broke. :) (kidding, just glad you got it figured out)