First MicroATX Build - Thoughts?

Hi everyone, new to the forum here and wanted to get some thoughts on this MicroATX build I've been eagerly planning for a while now!

Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dsp94/saved/#view=DxPQqs

Bear in mind the PSU and GPU are from my current setup. I don't really have the budget to upgrade my GPU at the moment so I'm planning on keeping this as is. Would be great to hear your thoughts on potential compatibility / bottlenecking issues in case there may be something I'm missing or have overlooked. If there are any potential savings I could make that'd also be great to hear.

Thanks guys!

New ryzen 3000 series are literally coming tomorrow. You should look onto those cpus

Just now, eemunni said:

New ryzen 3000 series are literally coming tomorrow.

I'm aware of that but I don't really have the budget to splash out on the ryzen 3000...

2 minutes ago, DSP said:

I'm aware of that but I don't really have the budget to splash out on the ryzen 3000...

They are almost same price under 20 dollar difference...

Just now, eemunni said:

They are almost same price under 20 dollar difference...

Ah, I didn't know. I'll keep on eye on that then, I live in Ireland and the price gaps seem to be higher here but I'm not sure about the 3000's. 

One reason I was opting for the 2600 was also because I read that there will be bottlenecks with a GTX1060 3GB. Any thoughts on that?

8 minutes ago, DSP said:

Ah, I didn't know. I'll keep on eye on that then, I live in Ireland and the price gaps seem to be higher here but I'm not sure about the 3000's. 

One reason I was opting for the 2600 was also because I read that there will be bottlenecks with a GTX1060 3GB. Any thoughts on that?

It's better that gpu bottlenecks than cpu because you can change that gpu in future :D

3600 will launch tomorrow, so 2600 will be even cheaper then.

The build is fine, but very aesthetic focused.

The watercooler and 32$ fans are totally unnecessary.

You could get a navi 5700 xt instead of those.

@LukeSavenije help please

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Do you have the case as well?  It seems kind of weird to spend 190$ on the case and have a 1060 3GB video card.

You can find plenty of $100 cases that are great looking and also allow you to use regular ATX motherboards, which would be more suited for future upgrades if you'll decide to go with 8 core or higher AMD Ryzen processors..

Make a bit of an effort on the motherboard.

The one you chose is OK but it basically has a 3 phase VRM (with doublers to make it look like 6), and relatively small heatsinks. It would be acceptable for a 6 core CPU now but kind of weak for future 8 core cpu and higher.  It may be further affected by the fact that you're using water cooling on the CPU (a regular cooler would move some air around the cpu socket and help the heatsinks radiate heat).

Being limited to mATX due to the case kinda restricts your choices as well..

You have MSI B450M Gaming Plus which has better VRM and also has BIOS Flashback allowing you to update bios without cpu installed : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9C97YJ/msi-b450m-gaming-plus-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-gaming-plus

If you can get ATX case, then you have MSI B450A-Pro and MSI Tomohawk with decent VRMs.

13 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

3600 will launch tomorrow, so 2600 will be even cheaper then.

The build is fine, but very aesthetic focused.

The watercooler and 32$ fans are totally unnecessary.

You could get a navi 5700 xt instead of those.

Thanks for the input :) 

I will definitely consider the navi 5700 xt instead, though I did really want to build something with a little rgb bling. Might upgrade the GPU in a month or two once I have the aesthetics done, or vice versa. 

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

Do you have the case as well?  It seems kind of weird to spend 190$ on the case and have a 1060 3GB video card.

You can find plenty of $100 cases that are great looking and also allow you to use regular ATX motherboards, which would be more suited for future upgrades if you'll decide to go with 8 core or higher AMD Ryzen processors..

Make a bit of an effort on the motherboard.

The one you chose is OK but it basically has a 3 phase VRM (with doublers to make it look like 6), and relatively small heatsinks. It would be acceptable for a 6 core CPU now but kind of weak for future 8 core cpu and higher.  It may be further affected by the fact that you're using water cooling on the CPU (a regular cooler would move some air around the cpu socket and help the heatsinks radiate heat).

Being limited to mATX due to the case kinda restricts your choices as well..

You have MSI B450M Gaming Plus which has better VRM and also has BIOS Flashback allowing you to update bios without cpu installed : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9C97YJ/msi-b450m-gaming-plus-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-gaming-plus

If you can get ATX case, then you have MSI B450A-Pro and MSI Tomohawk with decent VRMs.

I don't actually have the case, however the whole reason I am looking at a new build is because I wanted to shift to a microATX setup which is something I've been wanting to do for a few years now. I found the case for ~$130 in Ireland and think it's worth it if I'm honest. 

I wasn't 100% sure on the motherboard so thanks for the recommendation. That board actually looks super nice and would go well with the overall colour scheme I'm thinking of!

If I were to pick between either the Ryzen 3000's or a newer GPU, I presume you suggest going for the newer GPU with the 2600? I don't fully understand how bottlenecking works so it'd be great to hear your tips on that front.

Thanks!

cut away the overpriced nzxt part

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $200.00
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $68.99 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case $54.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - RM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $433.95
  Mail-in rebates -$5.00
  Total $428.95
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-06 10:49 EDT-0400  

13 hours ago, DSP said:

Hi everyone, new to the forum here and wanted to get some thoughts on this MicroATX build I've been eagerly planning for a while now!

Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dsp94/saved/#view=DxPQqs

Bear in mind the PSU and GPU are from my current setup. I don't really have the budget to upgrade my GPU at the moment so I'm planning on keeping this as is. Would be great to hear your thoughts on potential compatibility / bottlenecking issues in case there may be something I'm missing or have overlooked. If there are any potential savings I could make that'd also be great to hear.

Thanks guys!

why are you spending just as much on the heatsink as the CPU?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($200.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($53.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $464.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-06 12:09 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

maybe get the 6gb version, and wait for tomorrow, so the other gens are cheaper

4 hours ago, Wuter said:

maybe get the 6gb version, and wait for tomorrow, so the other gens are cheaper

He already owns the gpu.