In Dire need of some Input.

Zorba2.17

//hello everyone!

void main()

I know math is not compulsion or a imposed necessity for programming, But still I feel like they Both are just parallel to each other and feel the same to me.

I wanted to know:what Mathematical components were a huge necessity and benefits for your particular type of work or while at uni, and what factors should I focus on more as I am in love with it and exploring -if you are willing to share

I've done quite a bit of graphics, computer vision and robotics in my degree course so matrix operations and geometry in general were quite useful to me. Fun fact, geometry is the only subject I got top score in during my bachelor's :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Matrixes, Vectors, Angles and hexadecimal are fairly common, as well as basic algebra and curves, interpolation, etc. Nothing too crazy really. Most universities will teach you different algorithms for traversing trees of data or building them as well, as they come up on programming tests at big companies often.

As per maths, IMO discrete mathematics (logic), is the most important in general, as it is the basis of all programming. Linear algebra is fairly common, as mentioned, others not so much, but are present. It all depends what you work on - one day it might be complex algorithms, other days can be just plugging data to go from point A to point B (and it's the more common of the two).

Editory addition:

Uni taught me technological fundamentals (assembly, how processors work etc, I struggled with it on my own in my teens), loved that subject, it was super hard to pass (I even failed once), but it's the most awesome thing ever to understand it, I feel it's useful when programming. Then there was some important to understand (at least) maths. I made awesome friends at uni. I've not finished it (maybe someday), but working on the thesis would have been very fun to me. Thinking up an interesting subject and running wild with it - sign me up. Too bad a lot of stuff in uni is just crap you have to endure, your mileage may vary though. Oh, most important - made some great friends.

Uni also tried to teach me a lot of things which are just disappointing. Some examples include: UML (I really see no reason to learn spec-accurate UML), bad project management, applying solutions to non-existing problems (example: you have N amount of OOP principles/features to shove into a basic pogram), half-assing those solutions (my problem mostly, I worked as a developer full time all the time, they took back seat, since maths is harder), and a bunch of other unrelated crap that I had to learn (mandatory random subjects). The etc crap is mostly what made me not finish. I was supposed to attend shitty subjects, while I'm happily at work, nah not happening.

Programming is math. Just heavily abstracted at times. It's actually one of the most pure applications of math.

Algorithm design is its own entire field of math, and you can benefit a lot from discrete math. Trees and graph theory are used heavily with data structures, and obviously logic is pretty much what you get when you boil everything else away from computer science.

But the most important thing is just the way of thinking. People get caught up in syntax wrangling, but really what you're doing is solving puzzles... Which is entirely math. If you're really interested in applying math to programming, I suggest you look into functional programming; it's a really elegant way of building programs as transformations and relationships, instead of instructions and procedures.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

If you're really interested in applying math to programming, I suggest you look into functional programming

If you're really interested in applying math to programming, you should look into APL which is basically "describing applications using nothing but math formulas".

Write in C.

I work alot with CAD, Robots, Scientific data.

So Matrix, Geometry, Algebra and Statistics are the main maths i use.

Do quite a lots of finance and even tough calculation are quite basic but still, by calculating a composite interest you can easily screw up.

wow! This is amazing, tbh I  thought no one would respond to this topic - I cannot thank you guys enough; Thank you for taking your precious time and guiding me though :)

On 7/4/2019 at 10:44 PM, Sauron said:

I've done quite a bit of graphics, computer vision and robotics in my degree course so matrix operations and geometry in general were quite useful to me. Fun fact, geometry is the only subject I got top score in during my bachelor's :P

Lol! I've to caught up with geometry, generally in my tests i do not even study geometry, just because I feel like there is a lot of mugging up of formulas and visualization too(at least for my courseware) I like Matrices and vectors though 8-) Thank you for your reply sir!!

On 7/4/2019 at 11:50 PM, looterz said:

Matrixes, Vectors, Angles and hexadecimal are fairly common, as well as basic algebra and curves, interpolation, etc. Nothing too crazy really. Most universities will teach you different algorithms for traversing trees of data or building them as well, as they come up on programming tests at big companies often.

That is something totally new for me that they do differ in terms of their algorithms: Thank you very much for your input sir!

On 7/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, DevBlox said:

As per maths, IMO discrete mathematics (logic), is the most important in general, as it is the basis of all programming. Linear algebra is fairly common, as mentioned, others not so much, but are present. It all depends what you work on - one day it might be complex algorithms, other days can be just plugging data to go from point A to point B (and it's the more common of the two).+Editory addition:

Your input was really insightful, I personally have a clear choice between a uni degree or a better PC down the line and I prefer 2nd route(will get some inexpensive mandatory piece of paper). I really love maths but I don't mug up algorithms and arrive at the solutions the school or exams monotonously asks; it fells like you've been given algorithm, syntax,the code and program objective all you have to do is just type and compile because you know it is already running. That is why I don't usually score good in math because the 'streotypical' mathematics school/uni teaches sucks,the only thing these institutions amount for are  the social network which again is a double edged sword. I can totally understand what you've been thorough lol! Thank you very much for your insights sir!! 

On 7/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, Dash Lambda said:

Programming is math. Just heavily abstracted at times. It's actually one of the most pure applications of math.

...

That is something really new for me, I will definitely look into functional programming; algorithms are really the crux of intrigue in maths; It still amazes me how a simple mathematical function can be expressed and kindled in various formats if you consider algebraically and then when expressed as a geometrical the equation takes on some shape which was hidden in that equation. It is amazing, Thank you very much too for this help sir!!!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:12 PM, Dat Guy said:

If you're really interested in applying math to programming, you should look into APL which is basically "describing applications using nothing but math formulas".

Will surely do sir! Thank you very much for that!

On 7/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, Franck said:

I work alot with CAD, Robots, Scientific data.

So Matrix, Geometry, Algebra and Statistics and the main.

Do quite a lots of finance and even tough calculation are quite basic but still, by calculating a composite interest you can easily screw up.

I was planning to attend some autocad classes(will do as time permits), Finance though I could never deduce be useful in comp prog, huh! thah is indeed interesting 

thank you very much as well sir for taking your time and replying me!!! 

46 minutes ago, Zorba2.17 said:

Finance though I could never deduce be useful in comp prog, huh! thah is indeed interesting 

thank you very much as well sir for taking your time and replying me!!! 

As soon as you are dealing directly with selling a product you will might have to touch the subject.

You have to deal with ordering parts, back order, following PO, BOM.

If you sell big products that you make, you might have a single PO that is build in phases that can span over 2-3 years then payments are done over time upon each delivery where they can pay more to reduce interest. Or pay using a loan. You need to track these things in these softwares. There is not a single perfect ERP and all cliented i have ever work with customizing the ERP always falls in the developper hands. All ERP that i know of offer API or proprietary design editors to allow customization.