How many Watt my UPS need?

Ram 2 GB

Guys, want to ask. Is website PSU calculator can be trusted? And accurate?
My PC load wattage + monitor is 324watt, but my PSU is 500watt, which UPS should i buy, the 500watt, or 350watt?

IDK if there is a watt in UPS but i think it's VA which 1.2xW iirc. Yeah 500/600VA is already enough no need, Like a PSU calculator known for it's unreasonable calculation so it's probably going to be less.

12 minutes ago, Ram 2 GB said:

Is website PSU calculator can be trusted?

No

And accurate?

Not at all

My PC load wattage + monitor is 324watt, but my PSU is 500watt, which UPS should i buy, the 500watt, or 350watt?

A UPS powerful enough to sustain your PC's full load is enough, so 350W. There's more than wattage to UPSes though, and that PC power draw is probably not accurate too.

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

No

Not at all

A UPS powerful enough to sustain your PC's full load is enough, so 350W. There's more than wattage to UPSes though, and that PC power draw is probably not accurate too.

I see thanks, so can you give me some recommendation about good UPS? Im interested in cyberpower

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

IDK if there is a watt in UPS but i think it's VA which 1.2xW iirc. Yeah 500/600VA is already enough no need, Like a PSU calculator known for it's unreasonable calculation so it's probably going to be less.

Are u really sure? Because i am really blind about this. Im interested in Cyberpower 850VA, i just need time to shutdown my PC, maybe 1 min is enough

2 minutes ago, Ram 2 GB said:

Are u really sure? Because i am really blind about this. Im interested in Cyberpower 850VA, i just need time to shutdown my PC, maybe 1 min is enough

Do you want it to last an hour? Get the 350W like what Orion mentioned if its only for a couple of minutes with a consumption of that 324W.

20 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Do you want it to last an hour? Get the 350W like what Orion mentioned if its only for a couple of minutes with a consumption of that 324W.

I see, but the problem is i dont really know about my actual load wattage, should i buy 400++? 

4 minutes ago, Ram 2 GB said:

I see, but the problem is i dont really know about my actual load wattage, should i buy 400++? 

Up 

11 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Up 

Okaaay thanks, i will buy the 400watt

45 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Up 

Wait wait it's a typo. 

I already forgoten stuff about UPS, maybe for like wait when I want to learn it again and you will have a definitive answer from me.

For now how about a no.

1 hour ago, Ram 2 GB said:

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

The power UPS can output has nothing to do with how long it can run on battery... that depends on the battery capacity.

If you're interested in how long it lasts given a certain load, go to the UPS' specifications and look for a graph indicating minutes of battery power for specific power output.

28 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

The power UPS can output has nothing to do with how long it can run on battery... that depends on the battery capacity.

If you're interested in how long it lasts given a certain load, go to the UPS' specifications and look for a graph indicating minutes of battery power for specific power output.

Oh yeah I can just do this, Fuck I really forget stuff to easily or just don't care. 

You know what it's more like IDK what I'm talking about. 

Edited by Oalei

31 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I just need time to turn off my PC, thats all, maybe i need 1 min, for closing game and chrome, discord, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Oh yeah I can just do this, Fuck I really forget stuff to easily or just don't care. 

You know what it's more like IDK what I'm talking about. 

Haha np man, i really appreciate for answering my question :')

11 minutes ago, Ram 2 GB said:

Haha np man, i really appreciate for answering my question :')

what model are you trying to chose? most of them can deliver 510W of outputs and duration depending on load.

Just use the runtime as a reference and give me your fullspec so i can know what it really needs
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/capacity-va/850-va/

26 minutes ago, Oalei said:

what model are you trying to chose? most of them can deliver 510W of outputs and duration depending on load.

Just use the runtime as a reference and give me your fullspec so i can know what it really needs
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/capacity-va/850-va/

My spec :

R5 1600

Asus B350F-STRIX

MSI GTX 1660 6GB VENTUS SC

4X4GB RAM 

1 SSD

1 HDD 

2 FAN 120MM

BE QUIEST 500W SYSTEM 8 80+

In my country they sell this one Cyberpower UT850E, can you check this one?

My spec :

R5 1600

Asus B350F-STRIX

MSI GTX 1660 6GB VENTUS SC

4X4GB RAM 

1 SSD

1 HDD 

2 FAN 120MM

BE QUIEST 500W SYSTEM 8 80+

In my country they sell this one Cyberpower UT850E, can you check this one?

yeah that system will consume about what 270W? probably around that.

I cant find any info regarding the runtime or battery ATM, maybe find another model its too old from what i had gathered.

8 hours ago, Oalei said:

yeah that system will consume about what 270W? probably around that.

I cant find any info regarding the runtime or battery ATM, maybe find another model its too old from what i had gathered.

You sure about 270watt? Im using psu calculator, and my pc power about 325watt. Maybe i need to find 400watt UPS so i can feel safe. How about APC BX800LI-MS

https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-800VA-230V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX800LI-MS

2 hours ago, Ram 2 GB said:

You sure about 270watt? Im using psu calculator, and my pc power about 325watt. Maybe i need to find 400watt UPS so i can feel safe. How about APC BX800LI-MS

https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-800VA-230V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX800LI-MS

The 1660 consume about 135W gaming load or maybe full load iirc, the 5 1600 isn't even going to be above a 70W, for the rest probably just count as 30W now if I count it all it's about 235W which is less than what I had before because I know it won't exceed 300W anyway.

Using this as a reference https://www.apc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=BX800LI-MS&chartSize=large, it's going to be around 6-8minutes if its going to draw about 235W/274.95W with an effecieny of 83%.

Correct me if I'm wrong so the op's will not suffer from the lack of my knowledges.

5 hours ago, Oalei said:

The 1660 consume about 135W gaming load or maybe full load iirc, the 5 1600 isn't even going to be above a 70W, for the rest probably just count as 30W now if I count it all it's about 235W which is less than what I had before because I know it won't exceed 300W anyway.

Using this as a reference https://www.apc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=BX800LI-MS&chartSize=large, it's going to be around 6-8minutes if its going to draw about 235W/274.95W with an effecieny of 83%.

Correct me if I'm wrong so the op's will not suffer from the lack of my knowledges.

It will work with seasonic focus gold? Syntethic wave or pure wave, ugh this is so confusing

1 hour ago, Ram 2 GB said:

It will work with seasonic focus gold? Syntethic wave or pure wave, ugh this is so confusing

OK I'm just quoting from another person. 

Ok.. So....

People say you shouldn't use a UPS with a PC when that UPS outputs a "square wave" or "stepped sine wave" or "simulated sine wave" (these are all the same things) as opposed to a "pure sine wave".

When you measure AC voltage from the wall using a DMM, you're seeing an RMS value.  That RMS value is 0.707 times the peak value.  The peak value is 1.41 times the value the DMM shows.  So, for example, the peak value for 115V mains would be 162.15V for 230V mains would be 325V. 

That said, if you have 115V mains, you shouldn't have a problem.  Throwing that out there right now.  Because the peak of whatever sine wave coming out of your UPS is nowhere near the max capability of the APFC circuit of your PSU.  

BUT... if you have 230V mains and a UPS that supports 230V, you may run into an issue.   Why?

So here's where it gets hard for me to explain... bare with me.  :D

When the waveform is "square", it's like the peak is cut off.  To achieve the same RMS as a pure sine wave, they have longer peaks.  I wish I had the equation to determine the peak voltages handy.  It may also vary depending on how the sine wave is simulated.  But you can picture it like this:  Alternating current either alternates as a smooth wave (a "pure sine") or a fast oscillation with plateaus at the peaks.

square-wave-vs-sine-wave-inverter-a37f5c5a23b20d24113b9311ebf12822a11e4e9f4ffd10762380bce2b65d66a0.jpg

So.. what happens with these "higher peak voltage plateaus".  A few things.... The PSU may not care at all.  If the PWM controller is programmed accordingly, and the bulk cap has a high enough voltage to accept the higher margin, the PSU just chugs along with no damage.  If the PWM controller lets the higher voltage peaks through and the bulk cap is undersized, then long term "abuse" could cause that bulk cap to get too hot and vent (fail).

Some PSUs I've used would just shut off because the PWM controller would see the higher voltage and trip a safety.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of which PWM controllers do this and which ones don't, but it's been a long time and I don't think they're in use anymore.

If you're going to use 400V bulk caps in your PSU, they better be 105°C rated.  Otherwise, they should be 420V.  Then I don't think you would have any issues.

As for motors:  The UPS could work with a motor... depending on the motor.  Motors don't care about the waveform.  But what could happen is the inrush current of firing up a motor plugged into a UPS would trip the protections in the UPS and shut it down.  Same is true with laser printers.  They use such a big "burst" of power on start up that the inrush current protection of the UPS trips.  So.. it's not like anything gets damaged.... it just doesn't work.  :D