Remote access via router without desktop?

prodigyaustralia

Hi all,
I'm not entirely sure what the name of this is called, I'm trying to make a 2 desktops "wireless" so basically in the same building at work instead of using teamviewer and I'm downstairs checking stock levels, I want to make the 2 desktops "wireless" I would to add local routers and have monitor and keyboard + mouse plugged into 1 or 2 routers (1 peripheral per computer), Pretty much remote access wise.

I've been using Teamviewer & Anydesk for over a year now and they always drop randomly and it gets annoying. I would move the desktops but where they are sitting its perfect and they are connected to a switch & UPS.

So basically when needed me or my workers can connect into the pc via the router instead of going up and downstairs constantly or using Teamviewer that's dropping on local networks. (I run ecommerce stores so is easier if we just have the one pc per store so 1 issues solved at a time and not missing issues or overlapping)

I'm not entirely sure what the name is I'm looking for but I'd greatly appreciate as to what I should get, I did some research and none of which is what I'm looking for.

TIA :)

Let me try to understand. You want a keyboard & mouse that connects to a router and send the keystroke and cursor movement to this other machine? How would you plan to view the monitor? Before you answer that I don't believe you'll find any easy solution on the market that does this without you having to write the code yourself. That type of product isn't really a thing.

If the two machines are on the same LAN you can give VNC Viewer w/ TightVNC a shot. The screen may turn black periodically due to lost packets but the TCP side of things are pretty stable at keeping the session going. If you get frequent disconnects you may want to test the reliability of your network.

If you need remote access (from the Internet) then you have even less options. Perhaps someone can offer another KVM solution. I know Google has one. Forgot the name of it.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Let me try to understand. You want a keyboard & mouse that connects to a router and send the keystroke and cursor movement to this other machine? How would you plan to view the monitor? Before you answer that I don't believe you'll find any easy solution on the market that does this without you having to write the code yourself. That type of product isn't really a thing.

If the two machines are on the same LAN you can give VNC Viewer w/ TightVNC a shot. The screen may turn black periodically due to lost packets but the TCP side of things are pretty stable at keeping the session going. If you get frequent disconnects you may want to test the reliability of your network.

If you need remote access (from the Internet) then you have even less options. Perhaps someone can offer another KVM solution. I know Google has one. Forgot the name of it.

Hi mate thanks for your reply, So basically i've seen businesses where the desktop isn't visible or nearby it connect remotely, i think its a certain type of router (I'm not sure) basically they router looked like a normal router with video & USB ports. I've seen it done before but not sure how it works. Some government agencies use it here in australia

I am open to trying things its just I want either a) stable connection or b) an quick connect. Sometimes I have to reboot the whole computer due to issues with ANYDesk or Teamviewer, It's just fustrating when you're trying to process something quickly and teamviewer has an auth issue, but the rest of the network is fine. (Even though it's local, you still need an active internet connection to use teamviewer which makes me think it's routed through their servers somehow)

I just googled and KMV is similar to what I'm after. But not sure.

You would need an IP KVM,  You can connect to the KVM through the network, and be able to control the desktops directly and switch between them, including bios level access.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

4 minutes ago, prodigyaustralia said:

Hi mate thanks for your reply, So basically i've seen businesses where the desktop isn't visible or nearby it connect remotely, i think its a certain type of router (I'm not sure) basically they router looked like a normal router with video & USB ports. I've seen it done before but not sure how it works. Some government agencies use it here in australia

I am open to trying things its just I want either a) stable connection or b) an quick connect. Sometimes I have to reboot the whole computer due to issues with ANYDesk or Teamviewer, It's just fustrating when you're trying to process something quickly and teamviewer has an auth issue, but the rest of the network is fine. (Even though it's local, you still need an active internet connection to use teamviewer which makes me think it's routed through their servers somehow)

I just googled and KMV is similar to what I'm after. But not sure.

Sounds like it's just a computer with a built-in router.

You may want to reconsider how you operate your workflow. There is always going to be some packet loss and if it's bad enough to interrupt a Teamviewer session or other remote access application there's no guarantee this computer/router solution would be any more reliable. (Maybe it uses it's own encrypted tunnel but that wouldn't guarantee the reliability of a KVM session).

Does what you do rely on a GUI or is it more about moving files? If the latter you could use something like SSH/SFTP. Sessions can still time-out/disconnect but there's less overhead so it could potentially be more stable.

Have you tried using the built in Remote Desktop Connection in windows 10? I actually use it to connect to my linux box.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

20 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

Have you tried using the built in Remote Desktop Connection in windows 10? I actually use it to connect to my linux box.

No but I dont want to get another computer just for downstairs, unless it would work on a PC on a stick

30 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

You would need an IP KVM,  You can connect to the KVM through the network, and be able to control the desktops directly and switch between them, including bios level access.

Ill take a look cheers :)

29 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sounds like it's just a computer with a built-in router.

You may want to reconsider how you operate your workflow. There is always going to be some packet loss and if it's bad enough to interrupt a Teamviewer session or other remote access application there's no guarantee this computer/router solution would be any more reliable. (Maybe it uses it's own encrypted tunnel but that wouldn't guarantee the reliability of a KVM session).

Does what you do rely on a GUI or is it more about moving files? If the latter you could use something like SSH/SFTP. Sessions can still time-out/disconnect but there's less overhead so it could potentially be more stable.

To cut a long story short, the costs for the software we use is expensive /want , and its like you know 1 user at a time, I'm working with a friend who's devloper to create our own software, remove the crap we don't need and add the stuff we want, but that's a long ways out. So its 1 software per eCommerce store per computer

When you say drop out I don't mind drops its just the reconnecting, (mainly teamviewer) will drop randomly then block connections for x amount of time then other times i can use for ages no problems,

Not really files, just text input,

7 minutes ago, prodigyaustralia said:

To cut a long story short, the costs for the software we use is expensive /want , and its like you know 1 user at a time, I'm working with a friend who's devloper to create our own software, remove the crap we don't need and add the stuff we want, but that's a long ways out. So its 1 software per eCommerce store per computer

When you say drop out I don't mind drops its just the reconnecting, (mainly teamviewer) will drop randomly then block connections for x amount of time then other times i can use for ages no problems,

Not really files, just text input,

I would test the reliability of a SSH connection and if it proved reliable on a consistent basis I'd look for a CLI version of your application and run it on a Linux server. As things stand now you're kind of at the mercy of the network infrastructure in the area of which you operate. If packets are going to be lost they'll be lost regardless of what KVM solution you use the only thing that can change is in how the application handles the loss. If you don't want to change how you operate currently all you can really do is explore other KVM options.

I found Googles option. They call it Chrome Remote Desktop. I did try it once. It was OK but I can't vouch on any long term stability usage I'm just saying it's something you can try if you want.

If you do find these desktop/router combo units I wish you the best of luck.