Trouble with Windows & installation on Optiplex Machines

ehawkins2232

I've been trying to install a copy of windows 7 on an old Optiplex machine. Each time I start it up, I get a system battery voltage is low warning. I found a video online that says to switch to ATA in the BIOS which I did. After doing that, I still get the warning, and when I press f1 to continue, the machine just beeps at me and accepts none of my inputs. 

Additionally, on a different computer, I plugged in a USB drive to install windows 7, and after reordering the boot sequence with the usb drive coming first, all I get is a blank screen with a blinking white bar in the upper left-hand corner. What would cause this issue? Is it a problem with the USB drive?

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX

1 minute ago, Eric Hawkins said:

I've been trying to install a copy of windows 7 on an old Optiplex machine. Each time I start it up, I get a system battery voltage is low warning. I found a video online that says to switch to ATA in the BIOS which I did. After doing that, I still get the warning, and when I press f1 to continue, the machine just beeps at me and accepts none of my inputs. 

Additionally, on a different computer, I plugged in a USB drive to install windows 7, and after reordering the boot sequence with the usb drive coming first, all I get is a blank screen with a blinking white bar in the upper left-hand corner. What would cause this issue? Is it a problem with the USB drive?

First paragraph: I'm not sure if my battery you mean a laptop battery, or the CMOS battery. In either case, replace it. You specified that this is an old machine, and batteries degrade pretty dramatically with time; just go change out the battery and see if that helps.

Second paragraph: The boot loader got stuck on the windows install media startup. Format and reload windows install media onto the USB drive, then try the install again. Also, don't reorder the boot order, most BIOS' support temporary boot override; if yours doesn't, ignore that advice about messing with boot order.

You haven't quoted the Optiplex model number, but as pointed out by 'adithyay328', the lithium battery on the motherboard is dead and requires replacement.  It is usually a CR2032 cell.

Windows 7 originally shipped on CD/DVD media.  Sounds like there is a problem with how you created your Windows 7 USB media.