Graphics card hot to the touch

GamesMaster

Help required got a gigabyte gtx 1070 oc 8gb, which is getting hot to the touch the card was working fine, then at the start of this year stopped working so i send it in for rma and got it back all working again but 1 month after the card is so hot you can only touch it for a second also the my Ram is having the same issue you can feel the heat when sitting next to the PC, I am having to take the side panel of just to cool it, i dont really want to pay a lot a for an engineer as cant afford the call out cost then repairs if their is any, so please can any body help or any ideas how to fix the issues.

What are your temps?

It doesn't take very high temps for it to be too hot to touch. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's pretty normal for PC parts to get hot to the touch, but that doesn't mean something is wrong. Not really something to be concerned about unless the temps are absurdly high regularly.

A girl who loves to love.

not sure amusing speccy gpu was at 50 c, i7 was at 30 c , dont know about ram as it doesnt say not to sure how to check temps.

thanks @Aimi but i built the computer and never had this problem you can feel the heat just sitting next to the pc thats not normal.

Both CPUs and GPUs can get well up into the 80C+ and are designed to handle that.  They can feel too hot to touch at half that, so touch is not a useful measurement.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, GamesMaster said:

not sure amusing speccy gpu was at 50 c, i7 was at 30 c , dont know about ram as it doesnt say not to sure how to check temps.

Is this during idle? If so the GPU is a bit warm for such a case, but not something that's likely to cause damage.

Maybe you can replace thermal compound for the GPU, something that'll do better to keep it cool.

A girl who loves to love.

3 minutes ago, GamesMaster said:

thanks aimi but i built the computer and never had this problem you can feel the heat just sitting next to the pc thats not normal.

Its perfectly normal, the fact you didn't notice it before is really whats unusual.

Check all your fans are working correctly and pushing the air in the front of the case and out the back and/or top.

Unless your RAM has a heatsink then I'd definitely not make a habit of touching it as finger grease can cause hot spots.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

thanks @Alex Atkin UK i know am well within the range i checked that first, but to feel the heat when the case is on sitting next to it is a first then to feel the gpu and ram so hot you worry it is going to blow or something.

yeah i could change the thermal paste on gpu not to hard i havent done that to be honest it came back from being rma a month ago but the heat issue which ive never had has only just started this week, so i might try that.

The system expelling heat is normal and isn't going to reduce without reducing the power consumption by the components. If it's too warm to stay by the pc, you can sit farther away, move the pc, or rearrange the fans in the system so the heat is expelled away from where you're sitting instead to towards or near you. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

thanks again @Alex Atkin UK the case has prebulit all in 1 watercooled  with fans already setup they seem to be working how could i test to be sure.

thanks @WoodenMarker i understand the system might get hot i have rearranged the system, but it is getting really hot even the top of the case is really hot the inside of the case is hot, the gpu is really hot the ram is hot, again i understand these components will get hot but i have never ever felt them this hot ever.

If you can feel the heat off the devices, the heatspreader/sinks are working.  Hot to the touch is 40+ and therefor is only the sign of a working heatsink and nothing more.  Heating the room isn't a measurment either - especially in the summer.  You truly need to trust your PC readouts from HWMonitor software. 

thanks @GeekRichieUK i will download that now to measure temps to make sure,, their fine. my house is hot into 26c it says on my thermostat

okay download the HWMonitor software. i will monitor the temps over a 24hr period and report back the findings to make sure everything is normal or if their is a problem, am hoping its just me worrying over nothing.

@GamesMaster To tag a member, type '@' and the member's name after it. Select the member's name from the dropdown menu.

Also, please use the Edit button to add more text instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged.

@WoodenMarker, okay got that thanks for the info, i didnt know all that that this is my first time using this forums, so thanks i will do that in the future.

Just now, GamesMaster said:

@WoodenMarker, okay got that thanks for the info, i didnt know all that that this is my first time using this forums, so thanks i will do that in the future.

That's a hyperlink.. To tag, you have to click on the member's name from the dropdown menu. 

@WoodenMarker, What dropdown menu i cant see any, am sorry about this might just be me but yeah i cant see any and sorry about not knowing that @ is a hyperlink not a tag.

4 hours ago, GamesMaster said:

@WoodenMarker, What dropdown menu i cant see any, am sorry about this might just be me but yeah i cant see any and sorry about not knowing that @ is a hyperlink not a tag.

I just start off with the '@' and started typing your name...

Click on your name from the drop-down list, and it auto-completes, and is in orange.

@GamesMaster

image.png.2bf770c53eac65d6b07fd50af0cd07a3.png

image.png.ba8a64c01b8f88764678d383ff837a90.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If you want you can post a picture of your case from the side, we can take a look and see if we can easily rearrange anything ? Sometimes its just fixing the messy cables. 

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved