Possible PSU issue? Help!

KSP

Hello guys,

So I just upgraded my PC from a 7700K and Maximus IX Formula to a 9700K and Maximus XI Code. However, my PC won’t turn on. The motherboard and keyboard (which is hooked up to the motherboard) light up, but the PC won’t start up. A friend of mine suggested using the 24pin cable tester that EVGA provides with their PSUs, so I gave it a shot, and as far as I can hear my PSU fan isn’t spinning. Could my PSU be the issue? If it is, how come my motherboard’s RGB was still functioning? How audible is a PSU fan?

PSU is EVGA G3 1000watt, and full system specs are in my signature.

Thanks!

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

When you say won't start up, what actually happens when you press the power button? A PSU fan not spinning does not necessarily mean it is not working as quite a few PSUs nowadays run semi passively with the fan only turning on when significant load is applied to the PSU.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

10 minutes ago, KSP said:

A friend of mine suggested using the 24pin cable tester that EVGA provides with their PSUs, so I gave it a shot, and as far as I can hear my PSU fan isn’t spinning. Could my PSU be the issue? If it is, how come my motherboard’s RGB was still functioning? How audible is a PSU fan?

Just look at the fan and see if it spins. You might also need to disable the Eco mode on the EVGA G3 if you're expecting the fan to spin.

If the PSU worked with your old system though there's really no reason why it wouldn't work with the new one. 

Check the front panel connectors and try starting it manually with the front panel connectors or the start button on the motherboard.

Make sure all the cables are plugged in correctly.

Reseat the CPU.

Reseat memory.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Lemtea said:

When you say won't start up, what actually happens when you press the power button? A PSU fan not spinning does not necessarily mean it is not working as quite a few PSUs nowadays run semi passively with the fan only turning on when significant load is applied to the PSU.

Well, nothing really happens. Right after I hit the power button, my PSU makes a slight clicking noise (which it has always done at start up), but nothing happens.

Edit: a friend of mine thinks the clicking noise I hear is coil whine from the PSU, but since this is my first PC and I don’t think I’ve ever heard/dealt with coil whine ever before, I’m not sure what it is.

Edited by KSP

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just look at the fan and see if it spins. You might also need to disable the Eco mode on the EVGA G3 if you're expecting the fan to spin.

If the PSU worked with your old system though there's really no reason why it wouldn't work with the new one. 

Check the front panel connectors and try starting it manually with the front panel connectors or the start button on the motherboard.

Make sure all the cables are plugged in correctly.

Reseat the CPU.

Reseat memory.

I just checked, and the fan did not spin when I ran the test. Eco mode was disabled.

And yeah, that’s what’s confusing me too. It was working perfectly fine, so there really shouldn’t be a reason for it to stop. I’ll triple check all my cables first thing tomorrow. I’ve reseated my RAM, but have held off reseating my CPU, but since nothing has worked for the past 2 days, I’ll probably end up reseating my CPU tomorrow.

Edit: I have tried turning on my PC by clicking the “START” button on my motherboard as well, so I don’t believe that it’s a Front Panel Connector issue.

Edited by KSP

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Saksham said:

can you get into bios by using iGPU? try a mobo bios reset

Since the PC itself won’t turn on, I cannot.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

If replugging in cables and reseating my my CPU does not help, I’ll probably end up heading on out to Best Buy tomorrow and buying a relatively cheap 600watt PSU, just to make sure my PSU isn’t the problem. If that doesn’t work, I don’t really know what else to try :/. I’ll probably return my motherboard and CPU... I’m not sure.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, KSP said:

If replugging in cables and reseating my my CPU does not help, I’ll probably end up heading on out to Best Buy tomorrow and buying a relatively cheap 600watt PSU, just to make sure my PSU isn’t the problem. If that doesn’t work, I don’t really know what else to try :/. I’ll probably return my motherboard and CPU... I’m not sure.

Do you still have your old motherboard and CPU? Try the PSU in the old system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Do you still have your old motherboard and CPU? Try the PSU in the old system.

I have my 7700k, but not the old motherboard unfortunately.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Update: I replugged in all my power cables to the motherboard and that didn’t seem to help. I’m about to reseat my CPU.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

21 hours ago, KSP said:

Well, nothing really happens. Right after I hit the power button, my PSU makes a slight clicking noise (which it has always done at start up), but nothing happens.

Edit: a friend of mine thinks the clicking noise I hear is coil whine from the PSU, but since this is my first PC and I don’t think I’ve ever heard/dealt with coil whine ever before, I’m not sure what it is.

I would say that clicking noise isn't coil whine as coil whine typically occurs under high load due to high power draw. It seem like the issue may be with your motherboard and cpu somewhere. Try updating the bios on the motherboard and if that doesn't work and you are sure everything is connected properly you will need to start trying to switch out parts to find the cause. Are you able to get the motherboard and cpu tested from where you purchased them from?

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO