Will this setup give me better audio in fps gaming?

Hey all,

So I'm looking at getting some Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros to upgrade my Plantronics rig 500 pro gold and I'm thinking of pairing the beyers with the Sennheiser gsx 1200.. 

My mobo is a Asus z77-m pro which has the Realtek alc892 audio codec and its getting on a bit in age and I can't help but feel like I could be getting better audio performance. But idk as I don't have anything to compare it to.. so I guess I'm also wanting reassurance that I'm not just wasting my money in buying the dt990s and an amp when the main use is be gaming, and some youtube, music but I don't have any studio quality tracks soo... Idk if I should just keep the RIG headset.

Any other suggestions, Id rather keep it as cheap as possible without cheaping out either if you know what I mean...

Also i should mention I don't need the use of the headset mic as I use a standalone one...

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

thats a good setup especially if virtual suround is really important to you.these are great for music but people often find them too sharp or too boomy in the bass that is down to you . but this headphone without any 7.1 suround just performs better than anything I used to use like the cloud 2's or corsair headsets with 7.1. but if you add the whole 7.1 on the gaming dac according to the reviews it should enhance it. It's my main gaming headphone and I use it all the tme for music too. the dac amp isn't bad if the virtual suround is that important to you. but if the gsx 1000 is cheaper thean the 1200 then get that instead basically the same just doesnt have the daisy chaining option which in most cases is useless. 

Oh awesome thank you! The gsx 1000 is a bit cheaper and lol Im a sucker things that say pro and now even super but anyway that's a different story lol so I'll definitely have a look at that.. and yeah virtual surround is something I definitely want make use of, I like that widened soundstage sound which is another reason I'm excited for some open backed cans compared to the closed I've always had..

And currently I honestly can't tell any difference between using Dolby Atmos on or off with my current headset so Im really hoping this new setup gives me a proper 360 deg audio situation.. Anyways thanks heaps for your answer that puts my mind at ease at bit..

Edit: also I do love my base so even more reason to get the 990s I think ?

Actually just for anyone reading this in future I'm not sure now if that combo would work well as Sennheiser only rate the gsx1000 and gsx1200 to 150 ohm for headphones..

Any other suggestions on a good gaming orientated amp or alternatively other good quality, great sounding headphones that have a 150 ohm rating that people could recommend?

Edit: Did a quick search and this looks alright.. Creative Sound BlasterX G6 Hi-Res Gaming DAC and USB Sound Card.. rated up to 600 ohm. I'm only going to get the 250 ohm 990s so I think this should work.. any opinions on the  BlasterX G6?

3 hours ago, TicsMcgee said:

Actually just for anyone reading this in future I'm not sure now if that combo would work well as Sennheiser only rate the gsx1000 and gsx1200 to 150 ohm for headphones..

Any other suggestions on a good gaming orientated amp or alternatively other good quality, great sounding headphones that have a 150 ohm rating that people could recommend?

Edit: Did a quick search and this looks alright.. Creative Sound BlasterX G6 Hi-Res Gaming DAC and USB Sound Card.. rated up to 600 ohm. I'm only going to get the 250 ohm 990s so I think this should work.. any opinions on the  BlasterX G6?

I dont have any opinions on the g6 i tend to avoid sounblaster though for all thats worth but i personally don care for built in 7.1 suround as software solutions or just plain not using it has treated me great so far the headphones heselves are that good i find. and i just run it off my dac amp and i can play pretty damn competetively in games like rainbow six siege and apex .

The gsx 1000 looks really good to me. I think one of the keys to having a good headphone surround sound experience is being able to use the same processing globally rather than relying on a patchwork of in-application options. That way, you can really immerse yourself into it over time. So I like that something like the gsx allows you to do that. You can also do it in software like hesuvi as well, but the gsx is more user friendly and comes with good instructions.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, rice guru said:

but this headphone without any 7.1 suround just performs better than anything I used to use like the cloud 2's or corsair headsets with 7.1.

I want to push back on this. As this video demonstrates, without any virtual surround sound or hrtf, you have these situations where you can't tell front and back. This is regardless of headphones used because the problem is within the mix itself. There is this myth that a headphone upgrade can magically obviate the need for surround sound processing, but basically, you either need to use some processing on headphones or you have to use actual surround sound speakers instead of headphones to get good directional audio in games. 

9 hours ago, TicsMcgee said:

What dac are you using?

topping d10 with a liquid spark as a amp