I7-9700k overclocking (MB:Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro)

Hi guys!

So i just got me an i7-9700k and wanted to try my luck overclocking it. In the process a question came into my mind:

So the CPU as standard boosts up to 4,9 GHz if it only uses 1 core down to 4,6 GHz if it uses all 8 cores. 
When i´m changing the cpu-multiplier i´m obviously changing the clockspeed of all 8 cores. So if i set it to lets say 4,7 GHz instead of 4,6 GHz i wont reach 4,9 GHz boost-clock (even if the cpu only uses 1/2 cores), because i fixed it at 4,7 GHz , right? 
Will this kind of overclock decrease the gaming performance, since most games aren´t using all cores anyway? 
Please also give me a bit of an explanation - not just a "no it wont". 

Thanks a lot in advance!

After you manually change CPU multiplier, boost clock will get deactivated.  When you set CPU Core Ration to 47, every loaded core will work at 4.7Ghz regardless of the load.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

27 minutes ago, Nickel16 said:

Hi guys!

So i just got me an i7-9700k and wanted to try my luck overclocking it. In the process a question came into my mind:

So the CPU as standard boosts up to 4,9 GHz if it only uses 1 core down to 4,6 GHz if it uses all 8 cores. 
When i´m changing the cpu-multiplier i´m obviously changing the clockspeed of all 8 cores. So if i set it to lets say 4,7 GHz instead of 4,6 GHz i wont reach 4,9 GHz boost-clock (even if the cpu only uses 1/2 cores), because i fixed it at 4,7 GHz , right? 
Will this kind of overclock decrease the gaming performance, since most games aren´t using all cores anyway? 
Please also give me a bit of an explanation - not just a "no it wont". 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ah i see. this is an interesting question. You are asking when a game requires a fast single core operation, is it better to have it at 4.9 or to operate it at a lower but albeit a multicore setting.  I hope I understood your question correctly.

To be very general, I think multicore is always better than a single core. No matter how fast the single core operation is, if it is within 10% of the clock speed of the other cores then it should yield a hefty boost. If you play many games that rely on single or dual core, then set the speed differently. That is completely doable in the bios. But at the same time, no modern games require a fast single core or a dual core for that matter. Most games are optimized for all the cores. I hope that helped. 

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

Thanks a lot guys! Yes, @Srnewbee you absoulutely understood me correctly. So your guess is, that even a bump from 4,6 to 4,7 GHz will give me more performance in the most games compared to the standard 4,6 GHz + boost-clock up to 4,9 GHz, right? 

21 minutes ago, Nickel16 said:

Thanks a lot guys! Yes, @Srnewbee you absoulutely understood me correctly. So your guess is, that even a bump from 4,6 to 4,7 GHz will give me more performance in the most games compared to the standard 4,6 GHz + boost-clock up to 4,9 GHz, right? 

Essentially 8 cores at 4.6 should outperform 1-2 cores at 4.9 + the rest off the cores at base clock. Almost no task now that would lead to a CPU boosting it's clocks would actually only use 1 or 2 cores. 

@_d0nut Thanks for your reply! Ok so the gist is that any overclock above the standard 4,6 GHz (when 8 cores used) will give me more performance in games, right? The boost clock on 1/2/3 cores is not that important for that matter, right? 

2 hours ago, Nickel16 said:

@_d0nut Thanks for your reply! Ok so the gist is that any overclock above the standard 4,6 GHz (when 8 cores used) will give me more performance in games, right? The boost clock on 1/2/3 cores is not that important for that matter, right? 

Pretty much. The extra few hundred mhz extra you get on a few cores isn't worth the deficit of the clock speed on the other cores.