CPU BOTTLENECK

Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

-Moved to CPU's, Motherboards and Memory-

Majority of the games you listed are heavier on CPU resources rather than GPU. In most cases you probably won't notice a great difference with the new graphics card.

You should definitely overclock and get the most out of it you can

My graphics card went out and I ordered a rx 580 armor 8gb OC edition because I got an insanely good price in comparison to the rx 570 4gb which was only 10$ cheaper. But now I'm concerned about my pc performance (bottleneck). I use a i5 4670k with 8 gb of ram. My monitor is 144 hz 1920x1080 and I usually play games in 1920x1080 on low settings. I like to play at the best performance possible and don't care about graphics.I usually play Fortnite, League of Legends, CSGO, World of Warcraft and other random new and older games. I was wondering if any bottleneck would occur and if so would it effect my game play experience? Should I overclock my 6-7 year old cpu? Should I just return the videocard and get a 570?

-Moved to CPU's, Motherboards and Memory-

Majority of the games you listed are heavier on CPU resources rather than GPU. In most cases you probably won't notice a great difference with the new graphics card.

You should definitely overclock and get the most out of it you can

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Don't return the GPU if it's on such a good price, the games are mostly CPU heavy in Fortnite (oof)  you may see a bump in performance. Personally I wouldn't stress myself with OC, but if you have overclockable CPU then a minor OC seems just about right. The bottleneck you may experience would be more of the RAM/HDD (if you don't have SSD) than the CPU itself.

Thanks for the replies. I was reading about bottleneck and getting worried. You guys really eased my stress level and i really do appreciate it. There is just so much information out there it is easy to get confused.

5 minutes ago, notpoolday said:

Thanks for the replies. I was reading about bottleneck and getting worried. You guys really eased my stress level and i really do appreciate it. There is just so much information out there it is easy to get confused.

What motherboard and CPU cooler have you got? Hopefully you're able to overclock should you run into a bottleneck scenario.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What motherboard and CPU cooler have you got? Hopefully you're able to overclock should you run into a bottleneck scenario.

The motherboard is a h87-d3h Gigabyte and the CPU cooler is the Corsair H60. I've been using this computer for 6 working on 7 years now. Would it still be okay to overclock the CPU?

2 minutes ago, notpoolday said:

The motherboard is a h87-d3h Gigabyte and the CPU cooler is the Corsair H60. I've been using this computer for 6 working on 7 years now. Would it still be okay to overclock the CPU?

sounds like you should save up some pennies and upgrade! around 500 dollars ( minus ram and gpu ) would get you going in the right direction as far as pc goes. 

All else aside your cpu is still formidable in common / casual gaming and I would try to squeeze out a few more Hz out of it seeing as you have it on water. if you don't know how to overclock im sure you can find a video on youtube showing you how. as long as you're not getting crashing or errors or lock ups chances are all your hardware is fine to be overclocked at the very least a tiny bit. just see how far it can go while being stable and safe. 

15 minutes ago, notpoolday said:

Unfortunately, H87 boards don't overclock.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad