Hey folks!

Been a while since I've needed some guidance on tech, so I came to the best of the best (that's y'all).

I'm in the preliminary stages of building a home server and I want to dig ideas for an aesthetic. I'd like a wide variety of different designs, so go ahead and flood this post with anything and everything. Mini ITX or Micro ATX will "probably" be the board of choice, but that's up in the air. Could be 1U or bigger ... no dimensions are off-limits.

Let's see what y'all got!

Thank you in advance to everyone who contributes.

You're all breathtaking.

~ J

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DY28pG

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V6 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($278.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($282.70 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($26.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($157.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($157.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card  ($293.14 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($154.25 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Green 380 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($112.33 @ Amazon Canada)

This is the one I did a while back. Sits in a closet doing server things

11 minutes ago, imbrock said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DY28pG

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V6 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($278.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($282.70 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($26.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card  ($293.14 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($154.25 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Green 380 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($112.33 @ Amazon Canada)

This is the one I did a while back. Sits in a closet doing server things

well the e3-1220 v6 is severely outdated, keep in mind that its basically a i5-7500/i3-8100 and i3-8100 has ECC support, and if you aren't going to use ECC, and IPMI is useless on such a small scale, then why go for server grade hardware?

I was building it for low power usage, all parts have the lowest idle consumption I was  able to find.

3 hours ago, imbrock said:

I was building it for low power usage, all parts have the lowest idle consumption I was  able to find.

for low power usage then get a 80+ gold or plat PSU, and there is the i3-8100T, and 1650 has better perf/watt than 1050 ti, and AIOs are definetly not the most power efficent

18 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

for low power usage then get a 80+ gold or plat PSU, and there is the i3-8100T, and 1650 has better perf/watt than 1050 ti, and AIOs are definetly not the most power efficent

Ahh the AIO was more about lowering the average temperature of the unit. I didn't want it idling at high temps, and the case is too small for a bigger air cooler. Also I don't have central air conditioning and I don't like having the air cooled units putting out such high averages.

I could definitely have gone for a better psu but the earthwatts green unit is supposed to be pretty good for that. When I got the 1050 ti a few months back they didn't have any 1650s that were low profile and didn't require require additional power. This 1050 ti is powered by the pcie

1 hour ago, imbrock said:

Ahh the AIO was more about lowering the average temperature of the unit. I didn't want it idling at high temps, and the case is too small for a bigger air cooler. Also I don't have central air conditioning and I don't like having the air cooled units putting out such high averages.

I could definitely have gone for a better psu but the earthwatts green unit is supposed to be pretty good for that. When I got the 1050 ti a few months back they didn't have any 1650s that were low profile and didn't require require additional power. This 1050 ti is powered by the pcie

also why such a small case? might as well get a 2U rackmount.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

also why such a small case? might as well get a 2U rackmount.

Because I wanted it to be small and live in a closet in my home. I mostly just use it for plex and a headless steam remote streaming vm machine for emulated and low end games. I wanted something small that wouldn't get in the way of my limited space.

31 minutes ago, imbrock said:

Because I wanted it to be small and live in a closet in my home. I mostly just use it for plex and a headless steam remote streaming vm machine for emulated and low end games. I wanted something small that wouldn't get in the way of my limited space.

yeah and a 2U fits all of that but allows future integration into a rackmount.