Upgrade Question...

evilgeniusmojo

Hi all,

I have a recently built system and had a question regarding my GPU.

My current specs are:

Intel i7-3770k OC @4.4ghz 
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
8GB (4GB x 2) Crucial RAM 1600
EVGA GeForce 660ti 3GB
120GB SanDisk SSD
2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barcuda
Windows 8 Pro

I'm wondering if it's worth it to add a second 660ti in SLI or upgrade to a more powerful, single GPU. Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

I personally would get another 660ti if I were in your shoes. Why buy a different card and waste the 660ti's performance? Or were you going to sale it?

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

Go the second 660TI - you'll get performance similar to that of the Titan. :)

Adding a second GTX 660Ti can out perform a GTX Titan in some games.

But going with two cards will generate more heat, power consumption on noise compared to a single GPU solution.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

I have a 700W bronze PSU, so I'm fairly certain I'll be good there. My case has plenty of room, but I would definitely want to add more fans. Thanks for the input!

I would also go for a second 660Ti. 

It will beat the 680 easily and maybe even the titan. Also SlI configs looks SWEET! :D

Also the newer Nvidia drivers have enabled very good scaling in games almost 90-95% sometimes!

700W is more than enough for SLI in your rig. Good luck!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

+1 on adding another 660 ti for your build. This beats the 680 by like about 40 frames in BF3: Battlefield-3_Benchmark.jpg

Full Review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/?id=971&Itemid=72&option=com_content&task=view

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm running dual 660 Ti MSI Power Editions and I absolutely love it. Yes heat for that top card sucks but it's nothing one well place fan can't handle depending on the case you have. I have the Corsair C70 so adding one "GOOD" fan to the HDD cage beside the top card settled everything. Temps never pass 65C now no matter what I'm doing.

I'm a proponent of a single video card. Far less headache in the long run and less power draw (not a valid concern for most)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Thanks for all of the info! I didn't realize that SLIing would give that much increase in performance! I think I have my answer. Add a second 660ti and a few well placed fans. Thanks, all! You're the best! :)

I'm a proponent of a single video card. Far less headache in the long run and less power draw (not a valid concern for most)

I totally agree. Sell the 660ti and get a 670 or 680. If you're fine with how it's running now, I'd probably go ahead and wait for the next generation though.

I totally agree. Sell the 660ti and get a 670 or 680. If you're fine with how it's running now, I'd probably go ahead and wait for the next generation though.

There's still a possibility I'll hold on to the next generation. I'm not concerned with power draw since I don't pay for utilities in my apartment (win!). Heat is a small concern, but my case has a good bit of room and I still have space for more fans. If I do anything, it wouldn't be until the end of the year. Thanks for your input!

add a second and third 660ti. lol. my minimums are above 100 now in bf3 maxxed.

but really, invest in the 200 bucks if you want and sli your 660ti. you'll have very stable fps once you set everything up.

second 660ti, you will have a very nice system if you make tht upgrade

I would have said go for the GTX 670 or the GTX 680, because the GTX 660 Ti's have only 2GB of VRAM, but you have the 3 GB version so adding another card the VRAM won't bottleneck the 2 gpus. Go for the 2x GTX 660 Ti 3GB's