Where did my space go?

hhamama66

I have three folders in my hard drive that add up to 940 GB but windows claims that 1.4 TB is being used on the drive. How am I missing 500GB of space?

where is my space.png

Check in disk management and see if it has another partition set up on it taking up the other space.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Check in disk management and see if it has another partition set up on it taking up the other space.

Nope, only one large partition.

1 minute ago, pizapower said:

Maybe system reserved partition?

Can't be. I built this computer myself.

Just now, pizapower said:

How old is that HDD? Maybe it's faulty.

I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but it shouldn't more than a year old.

6 minutes ago, TheShawnMiranda said:

Windows Key + R. Type in diskmgmt.msc and run. Put up a screenshot of that.

where is my space 1.png

Do you have system restore enabled? Restore points get stored in a hidden folder named "System Volume Information", and this can get pretty big.

Try downloading the tool "Windirstat" and point it at the root directory of "D:" ,let it run and show us the result. That'll show you exactly where your space has gone.

On 6/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, Crash Dummy said:

Try downloading the tool "Windirstat" and point it at the root directory of "D:" ,let it run and show us the result. That'll show you exactly where your space has gone.

Ok, this screenshot seems to suggest that Windows is unable to report the correct size for many folders in my media folder. Why is that?

Annotation 2019-06-23 203919.png