Upgrading My Car Radio

Zorayne

I recently purchased a Cadillac CTS and i'm in the process of upgrading the tech inside (older model). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the radio and still keep the information given by the original radio.

Things like Avg MPG, Trip A and Trip B distance, Remaining Range; among others, I would like to keep the ability to use. 

8 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

What year specifically?

Unfortunately you cant pull the radio and replace it and keep those functions. If you are JUST looking for better sound you can absolutely use a dsp and amp to get way better sound in the vehicle but its not going to change the interface in the dash.

Oh it's possible to replace the radio, companies like PAC audio and iDataLink make interfaces for aftermarket radios to talk to the car and retain most if not all the car functionality built into the stock radio. This is where a professional car audio shop will come in handy, seek one out locally that has been around a while and can help you. Radio selection and proper installation go a LONG way to make things work as they should.

1 hour ago, nbrowser said:

Oh it's possible to replace the radio, companies like PAC audio make interfaces for aftermarket radios to talk to the car and retain most if not all the car functionality built into the stock radio. This is where a professional car audio shop will come in handy, seek one out locally that has been around a while and can help you. Radio selection and proper installation go a LONG way to make things work as they should.

You can replace the radio no problems, however none of the manufactures make a module to retain the functions he specifically asked about, they are built into the radio display on his particular model. The only way to retain them would be to disassemble the factory radio and mount the display into a fabricated location as well as the main board and corresponding controls. The module from pac will retain your factory amp and steering wheel controls as well as give you analogue outputs using the digital lines in the car but he will lose his info systems he was asking about. Unless im getting my years crossed up cadillac didnt put that info in the cluster. they put it into the radio and thats where the problem lies

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

You can replace the radio no problems, however none of the manufactures make a module to retain the functions he specifically asked about, they are built into the radio display on his particular model. The only way to retain them would be to disassemble the factory radio and mount the display into a fabricated location as well as the main board and corresponding controls. The module from pac will retain your factory amp and steering wheel controls as well as give you analogue outputs using the digital lines in the car but he will lose his info systems he was asking about. Unless im getting my years crossed up cadillac didnt put that info in the cluster. they put it into the radio and thats where the problem lies

Do your research, with most Pioneer AVH radio and PAC interfaces, things like vehicle integration right INTO the radio itself. also if I'm correct, his Caddy should have a small screen above the preset buttons that does that info, that screen stays put in a radio replacement and still works, that displays the MPG and whatnot.

14 minutes ago, nbrowser said:

Do your research, with most Pioneer AVH radio and PAC interfaces, things like vehicle integration right INTO the radio itself. also if I'm correct, his Caddy should have a small screen above the preset buttons that does that info, that screen stays put in a radio replacement and still works, that displays the MPG and whatnot.

Actually the little screen comes out to put the fit kit in, kit replaces the entire Center section starting right below the vents. I should point out I’ve been a professional installer for 19 years now and have done radio replacements on those cars using both the pac pieces and the Metra equivalent. I’m not saying there might not be some small company out there making an alternative, I’m just saying that the big companies don’t and in my research I wasn’t able to find anyway of doing besides lots of custom work and sectioning of the stock radio

42 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

With the iDataLink setups you retain the factory head unit, but gain stuff like RCA, optical out etc like an aftermarket unit.

Idatalink doesnt cover that car for anything besides steering wheel controls, first company I looked at.

5 hours ago, Zorayne said:

I recently purchased a Cadillac CTS and i'm in the process of upgrading the tech inside (older model). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the radio and still keep the information given by the original radio.

Things like Avg MPG, Trip A and Trip B distance, Remaining Range; among others, I would like to keep the ability to use. 

You could install a hidden radio in the glovebox maybe with an aux cord routed to somewhere nondescript (or just buy one with bluetooth and a remote control). That's what a lot of people do who want to keep the stock look. 

Thank you for all the replies!,
     From what I found at mentioned services, they dont offer anything for my year CTS which really only left two choices; DIY or keep the radio and barely use it. Decided to use the two din section below the stock radio to put a touch screen in that has a classic look to it. Thinking about adding a sliding door that matches the inerior's leather. Hope everyone had a wonderful father's day.