Mismatching ram

Go to solution Solved by boey,
23 minutes ago, Boflub said:

Hi,

How bad is it to mismatch laptop ram? The two kits I want to use are a 1x16GB at 2333 and a 1*16 at 2666. I'm not particularly keen on paying more for another 2666 kit, and I have the 2333 from my old laptop. I've heard that mismatching ram size is bad, but is speed too?

Thanks!

Mismatching RAM speed is fine. Running a 2666 stick and 2333 stick will make both run at 2333. If you want both to run at 2666 you can try to overclock them

Hi,

How bad is it to mismatch laptop ram? The two kits I want to use are a 1x16GB at 2333 and a 1*16 at 2666. I'm not particularly keen on paying more for another 2666 kit, and I have the 2333 from my old laptop. I've heard that mismatching ram size is bad, but is speed too?

Thanks!

Just now, Boflub said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Size is fine, that's how people like me have 12 GB. The only bad thing about size differences is that it can only run in single channel. Speed can also be mixed, but it will automatically clock to the lowest setting I believe.

For reference all of this is from my own experience with my PC. I'm running 1x8 and 1x4. The 8GB stick is supposed to be 1600MHz, and the 4GB stick is 1333MHz. Everything seems to be fine for me, although because its a laptop you're working with, your mileage may vary

Actually you don't need the same size for dual channel(yeah, I couldn't believe either), I'm running 4GB 1600 and 8 gb 1333 and they settled at dual channel 1333MHz, though the more differences, the higher chance of something being incompatible. In my case I tested the speed and dual channel was over 2 times faster.

23 minutes ago, Boflub said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Mismatching RAM speed is fine. Running a 2666 stick and 2333 stick will make both run at 2333. If you want both to run at 2666 you can try to overclock them