Bad ssd or overheat issue?

Im new to ssd’s but i recently bought a kingspec m.2 nvme ssd and installed it. At first i cloned my hdd OS on to it and it worked fine but games wouldnt run because the system would just lock up every time i launch a game. After a few days i couldnt even boot the system because it was locking up before i could get to the desktop, i investigated and figured out that when i touched the ssd controller it burned my finger and when i turned off the system it cooled down. What should i do? Any tips??!

Thanks for reading.. any help would be appreciated

Which specific SSD did you get? (A link would be great. More specific than just a KingSpec NVMe drive.) And where'd you get it from?

Sounds like could be overheating if it's getting hot enough to burn you that quickly. Could be poor cooling, could be a flaw in the drive, could be poor design.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Sounds like it's overheating if it's getting hot enough to burn you.

Not necessarily.  The human skin has a very small tolerance for temperature.  You can't put your hand on something that's over 40°C (104°F) without feeling like it's burning. 

50+ °C (122+ °F) is very normal for an NVMe drive, so it stands to reason that it feels like burning your finger even when it's at its normal temperature. 

That being said, I don't rule out the option of overheating.  however for that to happen during boot already there has to be a serious problem.

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Which specific SSD did you get? (A link would be great. More specific than just a KingSpec NVMe drive.) And where'd you get it from?

Sounds like it's overheating if it's getting hot enough to burn you. Could be poor cooling, could be a flaw in the drive, could be poor design.

http://www.kingspec.com/products_detail/productId=101.html here is the link of my specific ssd only i got it in a 128gb variant, the site doesn’t really say much about it heres a aliexpress speclist:

62F024F0-74AC-4535-8E32-E71C2D6B0731.png

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Not necessarily.  The human skin has a very small tolerance for temperature.  You can't put your hand on something that's over 40°C (104°F) without feeling like it's burning. 

50+ °C (122+ °F) is very normal for an NVMe drive, so it stands to reason that it feels like burning your finger even when it's at its normal temperature. 

That being said, I don't rule out the option of overheating.  however for that to happen during boot already there has to be a serious problem.

Well okay, i cloned my drive from a hdd so does that have to do with anything causing the ssd to stress out?

1 minute ago, TranquilElder said:

Well okay, i cloned my drive from a hdd so does that have to do with anything causing the ssd to stress out?

Cloning the drive shouldn't cause much of an issue with the SSD itself.

If you still have the original drive with everything on it, perhaps try doing a fresh install of Windows on the SSD if possible to see if that changes anything.

Does the system work fine if you use the original drive instead of the NVMe SSD? (If you still have it with all your data/windows install on it)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TranquilElder said:

i cloned my drive from a hdd so does that have to do with anything causing the ssd to stress out?

On very rare occasions there can be issues, but I never heard about a system locking up like that.

If you still have the old HDD with the OS on it, I'd suggest wiping the SSD, disconnecting all other drives and trying to do a fresh install on the SSD

(EDIT : lol, great minds think alike, right @TheKDub ?)

9 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Cloning the drive shouldn't cause much of an issue with the SSD itself.

If you still have the original drive with everything on it, perhaps try doing a fresh install of Windows on the SSD if possible to see if that changes anything.

Does the system work fine if you use the original drive instead of the NVMe SSD? (If you still have it with all your data/windows install on it)

Yes i still have it and it works fine without the ssd

9 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

On very rare occasions there can be issues, but I never heard about a system locking up like that.

If you still have the old HDD with the OS on it, I'd suggest wiping the SSD, disconnecting all other drives and trying to do a fresh install on the SSD

(EDIT : lol, great minds think alike, right @TheKDub ?)

Really liking the collaboration between u guys xd. And yes i still have hdd with the os on it and ill definitely try it out 

7 minutes ago, TranquilElder said:

Yes i still have it and it works fine without the ssd

Good, that means it's definitely an issue with the SSD rather than somewhere else in your PC. (Unless the M.2 slot has issues.)

I'd give a new Windows install on the SSD a try. If it still doesn't work, return it and get a new one. If within budget, I highly recommend Samsung's SSDs.

There isn't much noticeable performance difference between NVMe SSDs and regular SSDs (except in for very read/write intensive workloads such as high resolution video editing), so you'd be best off just getting a larger SATA or M.2 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo, assuming it's available where you're located. (US? If so, check out this: https://amzn.to/2WFOgnN Samsung's drives aren't the cheapest, but their quality and reliability is fantastic. I use a 500GB 850 Evo as my main drive in my desktop, a 250GB Samsung SSD as the main drive in one of my laptops, and a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo as the main drive in my Macbook Pro. Haven't had issues with any of the drives even after several years of daily use.)

What app did you use to clone? I'd just try to reclone or run the DISM command and see if that helps: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also, have you checked the actual controller reported temps? Download Crystal Disk Info, it will tell you: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

2 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

What app did you use to clone? I'd just try to reclone or run the DISM command and see if that helps: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also, have you checked the actual controller reported temps? Download Crystal Disk Info, it will tell you: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ 

Yep i used crystaldiskmark and hovers around 50c but i think thats not the controller but the actuall nand flash chips witch dont get hot at all, and i have tried to repair disk image it did nothing so i think its just a bad ssd. I used the aomei backupper it cloned successfully

14 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Good, that means it's definitely an issue with the SSD rather than somewhere else in your PC. (Unless the M.2 slot has issues.)

I'd give a new Windows install on the SSD a try. If it still doesn't work, return it and get a new one. If within budget, I highly recommend Samsung's SSDs.

There isn't much noticeable performance difference between NVMe SSDs and regular SSDs (except in for very read/write intensive workloads such as high resolution video editing), so you'd be best off just getting a larger SATA or M.2 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo, assuming it's available where you're located. (US? If so, check out this: https://amzn.to/2WFOgnN Samsung's drives aren't the cheapest, but their quality and reliability is fantastic. I use a 500GB 850 Evo as my main drive in my desktop, a 250GB Samsung SSD as the main drive in one of my laptops, and a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo as the main drive in my Macbook Pro. Haven't had issues with any of the drives even after several years of daily use.)

Will definitely try it thanks!

9 hours ago, TranquilElder said:

Yep i used crystaldiskmark and hovers around 50c but i think thats not the controller but the actuall nand flash chips witch dont get hot at all

NAND likes to run hot.  Temps in the 50°C region are pretty normal. 

Here's a Crystal Disk Info reading of my 950PRO, which is equipped with an EK heatsink. 

909169285_950PROtemp.jpg.083cb438ebd73bb8c713e56ceb77145f.jpg

That's my OS drive.  I haven't been copying to or from the drive for a couple of hours now, so that's basically its normal operating temperature.  If that would have been an issue, it wouldn't be at 100% health after 23000+ hours

On 6/15/2019 at 5:51 AM, Captain Chaos said:

NAND likes to run hot.  Temps in the 50°C region are pretty normal. 

Here's a Crystal Disk Info reading of my 950PRO, which is equipped with an EK heatsink. 

Hide contents

909169285_950PROtemp.jpg.083cb438ebd73bb8c713e56ceb77145f.jpg

That's my OS drive.  I haven't been copying to or from the drive for a couple of hours now, so that's basically its normal operating temperature.  If that would have been an issue, it wouldn't be at 100% health after 23000+ hours

Yeah my nand flash isnt getting hot its the controller, so my ssd just stopes working so idk what to do so i ordered a heatsink for it hopefully it solves it