DIY 3d Printer Plans/Build Guides

Scheer

I'm looking for some good detailed build guides on 3d printers with the X/Y mounted at the top, like the Ultimaker has. I've built a Prusa i2 and i3, and want to go custom this time and build something proper rather than the flimsy plastic designs. Linear ways, ball screws, etc... I'm just not finding many good guides to pull ideas from.

So far all I've really come up with is this one, and its near exactly what I'm wanting, I just wanted to check out some other ones as a point of reference and ask to make sure I'm not overlooking an end all be all best design out there.

https://betrue3d.dk/xbot-medium-a-new-printer-is-baking/

core xy is pretty simple and not to be over-complicated.

alloy cube frame and polished rails/linear guides for xy trams.

all3dp has an article as does reprap

sources usually are open builds, hypercube, voron, etc..

spending $ 1600USD for basics is a bit much for hobbyist, more for quick prototyping or forecasting business.

Skoookum! If I were to do it, I would build basically an ultimaker out of aluminum extrusion, and then use ball screws and linear rails for all the moving axes.

@iamdarkyoshi built his own design a few years ago, but from what I understand he hasn't used it in a long time due to losing Marlin settings or something. I think he might have a build log of it floating around somewhere.

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Skoookum! If I were to do it, I would build basically an ultimaker out of aluminum extrusion, and then use ball screws and linear rails for all the moving axes.

@iamdarkyoshi built his own design a few years ago, but from what I understand he hasn't used it in a long time due to losing Marlin settings or something. I think he might have a build log of it floating around somewhere.

Yeah its somewhere. I'd rather not bump the thread though.

I'd end up starting with an anycubic 4max now, its extremely close to mine in design, and it can be easily upgraded with the trinamic drivers the new prusas use. They're astoundingly quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, airdeano said:

core xy is pretty simple and not to be over-complicated.

alloy cube frame and polished rails/linear guides for xy trams.

all3dp has an article as does reprap

sources usually are open builds, hypercube, voron, etc..

spending $ 1600USD for basics is a bit much for hobbyist, more for quick prototyping or forecasting business.

I ignored CoreXY right out of the gate, seemed like it was less the best option and more the easiest one... but I did some reading on the designs you mentioned and think I may go that route now. Really liking the Voron 2.1 now, thank you much for the suggestions.

The more I think about it, if I roll my own I have to deal with sorting out the quirks mainly by myself. Going with an open sourced design I'm likely to find solutions to any issues I find that someone else has already asked about, and that can save a lot of headaches.