(Advanced) What linux distro can you recommend?

Hey guys,

just to start with: I've been a linux users for years, so I'm not new to linux

What Linux distribution can you recommend?

I stuck with OpenSuse for quite some time now and I really appreciate the YaST.

It would be nice if you could even include the "ideology" behind the distribution, for Fedora e.g. free software only etc.

DO NOT recommend any of the well known distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, and so on.

Really looking forward to your suggestions :)

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

Elementary OS is pretty nice. It's based off Ubuntu but looks nothing like it. It's an absolutely beautiful package IMO.

I use Xubuntu exclusively at the moment. It's really good; with the stability, compatibility and features of Ubuntu and the Lightness and Speed of XFCE. It is so fast it's crazy.

Pilates

If you an advanced user and you  know your way around a command prompt then I recommend Arch Linux.

Hey guys,

just to start with: I've been a linux users for years, so I'm not new to linux

What Linux distribution can you recommend?

I stuck with OpenSuse for quite some time now and I really appreciate the YaST.

It would be nice if you could even include the "ideology" behind the distribution, for Fedora e.g. free software only etc.

DO NOT recommend any of the well known distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, and so on.

Really looking forward to your suggestions :)

light or debian-mint 

Arch linux.

The ideology behind it is: Keep it Simple. It's infinitely customizable. Rolling release keeps the system constantly up to date. Excellent for getting your hands dirty. Package management is easy using pacman (as well as yaourt for the AUR). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Elementary OS is pretty nice. It's based off Ubuntu but looks nothing like it. It's an absolutely beautiful package IMO.

Beautiful, but therefore only GTK3+ Apps, isn't it?

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

If you an advanced user and you  know your way around a command prompt then I recommend Arch Linux.

Arch linux.

The ideology behind it is: Keep it Simple. It's infinitely customizable. Rolling release keeps the system constantly up to date. Excellent for getting your hands dirty. Package management is easy using pacman (as well as yaourt for the AUR). 

Actually that is my next candidate on the list :D

Just wanted to ask the community for some good recommondations ;-)

I'm honestly not sure, not a very advanced linux user lol

Sorry! I could probably find out if you tell me how though, have it installed on my laptop,32-bit only so I can run pebble dev .

By default, probably, but it should't restrict you to just GTK3 apps. Being based on Ubuntu/Debian, it should support the entire range of Debian's packages. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Another + for arch here, I've been able to find a solution to pretty much everything (apart from pulseaudio deciding to go on hiatus earlier today, back to raw alsa)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I'm actually planning to put a version of Arch on my USB stick, but was still searching for an "all-around-distribution" ;-)

I'm actually planning to put a version of Arch on my USB stick, but was still searching for an "all-around-distribution" ;-)

Then look at manjaro :D

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

First of, don't install something based on anything else (no ...buntu, manjaro or zorin nonsense :rolleyes: )

If you want to learn something more complexe, i would recommend slackware for something stable or archlinux for something bleeding edge. Otherwise, you can try gentoo, the installation isn't that hard, more mystified tahn anything else, but I find the compiling business long and tedious ;)

Last, debian is a very good distro, if you've never tried it, i recommend installing it and then trying out the testing branch (the stable with the 3.2 kernel is getting to old, i am really hoping Debian 8 to come soon).

So yeah if you don't want arch, i'd say slack or debian :)