Oops....

Hand_Solo

So I had a bit of a mishap.  Bowl of cereal fell to the ground and splashed milk everywhere, most importantly all over the back of my new build (see attached pic) which, of course, just happened to have the back glass off of it. Wouldn't boot that day nor today, about a week since the incident.  My first assumptiom is something on the Mobo is being shorted out bc of the milk all over it so my first course of action is to remove it and clean it and see if my assumption is true.  But beyond that I have no idea what else to try before trying a new Mobo and I would appreciate some suggestions.  It's a Crosshair Hero VI and all the board LED's light up and it even does the breathing routine i have set in the bios for when the power is off.  But when I press the power button that's it.  The pump doesn't come on, the fans on the GPU don't spin ..no life.  Thank you in advance.  Finding out it's bricked will only be marginally painful as I was looking to do another build with ITX or mATX in one of those Metallic Gear cases anyway. 

Screenshot_20190604-093615~2.png

Wait, I'm confused. So the glass was on but the computer still died?

Ignoring that which components got splashed? GPU/MoBo/RAM/PSU? You can start there.

remove the gpu if your build has integrated graphics and plug into that and see if it boots after a cleaning. 

18 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Wait, I'm confused. So the glass was on but the computer still died?

Ignoring that which components got splashed? GPU/MoBo/RAM/PSU? You can start there.

You must have read my thread before I edited it.  The glass was off and best I can tell the only critical component that took incoming fire was the back of the motherboard.  Thank you in advance for you help.

17 hours ago, Jourdan Roedel said:

remove the gpu if your build has integrated graphics and plug into that and see if it boots after a cleaning. 

It does not unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Hand_Solo said:

You must have read my thread before I edited it.  The glass was off and best I can tell the only critical component that took incoming fire was the back of the motherboard.  Thank you in advance for you help.

So you already cleaned it off. What cleaner did you use to get it off besides just wiping it?

im guessing if the pc was on when you spilled the milk and the pc shut down, its possibly shorted. but if it was not on, like totally no power with the main switch off, you could just clean it and wait for everything to evaporate for a couple of days. but i think youve tried turning it on before the evaporation completed so its hard to say since its been over a week with no results. maybe the mobo's still good, you might wanna try changing the components to find a faulty one first before changing the mobo since it might be a faulty component and not the mobo itself.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So you already cleaned it off. What cleaner did you use to get it off besides just wiping it?

No, I have not cleaned it yet.  Since it's major surgery to drain the loop, etc, just to pull it, I figured I would get some feedback frist.  I was going to use alcohol.

9 minutes ago, Hand_Solo said:

No, I have not cleaned it yet.  Since it's major surgery to drain the loop, etc, just to pull it, I figured I would get some feedback frist.  I was going to use alcohol.

I second alcohol. Q-tips too if there's little dots everywhere. You'll need to get inbetween the pins to stop the bridging if there is any.

42 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

im guessing if the pc was on when you spilled the milk and the pc shut down, its possibly shorted. but if it was not on, like totally no power with the main switch off, you could just clean it and wait for everything to evaporate for a couple of days. but i think youve tried turning it on before the evaporation completed so its hard to say since its been over a week with no results. maybe the mobo's still good, you might wanna try changing the components to find a faulty one first before changing the mobo since it might be a faulty component and not the mobo itself.

It was on when the milk bomb went off.  I have to admit, it was a bonehead maneuver trying to turn it on with liquid all over it.  An amateur move if there ever was one.  Tho I think at the time I might not have inspected the back yet so I didn't know?  Which is just another amateur move lol.  What baffles me is that the mobo led's light up but the video card and pump don't.  And speaking of pump, the pump led's do not light up either.  Looks like I have not choice but to drain the loop, clean the mobo and everything else and start from square one....and since that is the case, time for a new case (not really a pun, but it would be intended if it was lol)