Setting up a gaming profile

Hi Guys,

Last year I bought the ASUS ROG Strix GL703GM gaming laptop with the intention of using it for both work and gaming.

There are several applications that have unnecessary (for gaming) services running in the background. ( Ie Office services, SQL Server, Teamviewer, skype, One Drive, etc)
How would I go about setting up a gaming profile?

As far as I'm aware, all drivers are up to date, but I still get freezes in games like COD: Modern Warfare or crashes like in Skyrim \ Starcraft
As well as eliminating any potential third party app issues, Id like to reduce the jet engine like fan noise from the machine.

Any suggestions on how to go about setting up gaming profiles without unnecessary background services?

Thanks,

1. Most services and programs in iddle time should consume 0% CPU&disk drive and some memory.

However the more crap You have starting with Windows and installed too, the more things can be exectuted by those programs at any time from task shedule. Ex. virus scanning, uploading new versions, maintaining, telemetry etc, and game will stutter. Such activity should not crash Your game when You have enough RAM + pagefile.

2. Optimalization about what You are asking for, it's not an easy task and there are not automated programs to do that. The easiest thing to do, it's to add another user account to gaming. You can uncrap your comp using ex. autorun or Razer Cortex Game Booster. However even the cleanest system made by programs like Ntlite in which You can chop Your Windows to bare bones, is not showing any visible FPS gain vs standard Windows.

Summarizing: if You system at iddle is showing no more then 1% CPU usage, You can do a little to improve situation. Mine optimized by hand, Win 10 have 0% CPU and HDD when doing nothing. Only a few services are working, no telemetry, no Win defender and MS firewall (I use another one and those services are stopped) and many not needed tasks are just deleted from task sheduler, from start up and even some are killed in registry.

edit. about "jet engine" from your fans. At normal work PC should be silent. To know temps in gaming, install in game monitoring program. Ex. in my PC I have 5 in-out fans and even now, when temperature at home is very high (hot summer), I run them on the slow speed, becouse I have not a problem with overheating. But I know exactly maximum good temperatures for mine: CPU, GPU, mainboard, which cannot be exceed.