Fluctuating clock speeds

Troika

Ok, so, I never really paid attention to any of my old AMD gpus since I didn't really know a whole lot about what the numbers meant or why they behaved the way they did way back when. To get to the point, I've noticed that the clock speeds on my Fury X fluctuate while underload or full load. Is that typical AMD gpu behavior? I know Nvidia cards will stay at their max boost clock, unless they throttle, but I have no idea if that's just the number that monitor software displays because of the card's bios and that's how Nvidia chooses to show the clock speed and AMD just lets the card update the number constantly so the "max" clock speed changes based on the current state. It still seems like odd behavior to me and I was wondering if the numbers that afterburner shows are just state based and if there was a way to "pin" the core clock to the max speed all the time. I know its not throttling because the max temp reported after a 4 hour gaming session was about 42C.

System specs:
Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @4.16Ghz
Corsair H110i GTX, adjusted fan curve for more aggressive cooling.
G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400Mhz (clocked at 2006Mhz)
XFX Radeon R9 Fury X - -70mV, adjusted fan curve, +50% power limit
Corsair RMx 1000w 80+ Gold
2x Intel 545s 256GB in raid 0
2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB in raid 0

Hello,

well if you are not using it at 100% they will or if the temp max seting is like 60c they will.

Also that cpu wont get that card to 100% on 1080p.

I had a fx8150 5ghz oc and even the rx480 had a bottleneck.

If your fps are good just use it and abuse.

8 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Hello,

well if you are not using it at 100% they will or if the temp max seting is like 60c they will.

Also that cpu wont get that card to 100% on 1080p.

I had a fx8150 5ghz oc and even the rx480 had a bottleneck.

If your fps are good just use it and abuse.

The fps is fine at 1440p high settings, its just not behavior I'm used to seeing. gpu usage isn't constant, it wildly swings down from 0% to 100% cpu usage doesn't even get anywhere close to 100% on ESO, which is where I've noticed the behavior first. Cpu usage sits at around 40~50% so I really don't think it'd be a cpu bottleneck, even at that resolution despite the fact the Fury X isn't really an ideal card for 1440p gaming. 40~60 fps on high is pretty good considering how old the card is. I did get better results when I was using my 780s in SLI, which did scale well in ESO, surprisingly. I would use them instead but one of them died and the other is on its way out so its a test card I use simply for getting a display out of machines I fix.