Powerline adapter weird behaviour

Special Agent 星雨
Go to solution Solved by Special Agent 星雨,
12 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Well I believe that's the reason why you're having issues. You don't have any other sockets in your room? You only have one?

I only have one pair of sockets in my room.

Things I have tried:
another room in the house where the adapter was plugged straight into the wall (same effect, stops working once high upload bandwidth is being used)

using the adapters in a newly built (<2 years) apartment, no issues.

I think its safe to conclude that the electrical wiring in my house is the culprit, which is quite a shame. Guess I'll have to use Wi-Fi when I need to stream.

TDLR at bottom.

I'm not sure how to describe this, other than saying it's quite bizarre.

I recently bought a D-Link DHP-701AV PowerLine Ethernet Adapter, and it's been working great.

I use this because I recently moved to a different room in the house, and despite getting 3/5 bars of Wi-Fi, the speeds are slow and ping spikes occur every 10 minutes, making gaming impossible. With this adapter I can now achieve ~40 mbps down and ~20mbps up on my 50/20 connection (Australia, shit tier internet).

However, here is where it gets interesting.

Whenever I stream content to Twitch, Youtube and even Discord screen sharing, my PowerLine adapter will shit itself. The PowerLine icon on the adapter will begin blinking red a few minutes after I start streaming, and I will lose all connection until I power down one of the two adapters and power it up again (effectively re-establishing the connection?).

This happens at all times of the day, no matter if its 4am or 12pm or right now, 3PM. This happens on my desktop and laptop.

If I'm downloading at full speed there are no problems at all, so what causes this behaviour when streaming/using high upload bandwidth? My only guess is that the electrical stuff in this house is too old? Can't think of another reason and Googling this hasn't resulted in anything.

TLDR: Powerline adapter shits itself if I'm streaming (or presumably doing anything upload heavy).

I'm no Special Agent myself, but my Dad was!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Lian Li Galahad 360mm White AIO

4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

All wrapped in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL case.

Hello! May I ask who old is your house? Power line adapters can be affected by old electric cables.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I am not sure, but based on the style/building material it looks to be 20-30 years old. My guess is also that the old electric cables in my house are at fault. Hopefully I can confirm this by taking my adapter to a newer house and using it there.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

4 hours ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

I am not sure, but based on the style/building material it looks to be 20-30 years old. My guess is also that the old oelectric cables in my house are at fault. Hopefully I can confirm this by taking my adapter to a newer house and using it there.

One other question. How are you connecting the Power Line Adapters? Make sure you connect them straight to the wall socket and not an extension.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

'

On 6/12/2019 at 1:14 AM, Abdul201588 said:

One other question. How are you connecting the Power Line Adapters? Make sure you connect them straight to the wall socket and not an extension.

At the modem's end, it is plugged directly into the wall socket. Unfortunately, in my room I cannot do that, as it will also occupy the other, only free socket, meaning I'll be left with no access to electricity. So I guess this + old electrical wiring are the two potential causes for my situation.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

4 hours ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

'

At the modem's end, it is plugged directly into the wall socket. Unfortunately, in my room I cannot do that, as it will also occupy the other, only free socket, meaning I'll be left with no access to electricity. So I guess this + old electrical wiring are the two potential causes for my situation.

Well I believe that's the reason why you're having issues. You don't have any other sockets in your room? You only have one?

12 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Things I have tried:
another room in the house where the adapter was plugged straight into the wall (same effect, stops working once high upload bandwidth is being used)

I think its safe to conclude that the electrical wiring in my house is the culprit, which is quite a shame. Guess I'll have to use Wi-Fi when I need to stream.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

3 hours ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

Things I have tried:

Yeah. Can't you run a Ethernet cable?

On 6/14/2019 at 5:13 PM, Abdul201588 said:

Yeah. Can't you run a Ethernet cable?

I could but then it would need to be run through two living rooms and a kitchen, which I already know will not be supported by the rest of the family.

I have resorted to using Wi-Fi to stream, and use my powerline adapter for the rest. It has been working well so far.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

1 hour ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

I could but then it would need to be run through two living rooms and a kitchen, which I already know will not be supported by the rest of the family.

I have resorted to using Wi-Fi to stream, and use my powerline adapter for the rest. It has been working well so far.

The thing with Powerline adapters is since it runs through the lines in your wall they typically run best if they are on the same circuit (or wall)

For instance in my office I tested some and put it in the socket where my modem is which is on the outer wall. In another room I plugged them into a socket that was an interior wall. Slow connection. Same room moved it to a socket on the outer wall and the connection was pretty close to what I have. The solution I choose instead was to buy some deca adapters and use the old direct tv coax that was installed in the house. (DECA boxes are pretty cheap and I have the full speed from it. MOCA works as well if you have cable TV instead of satellite. They use difference frequencies on the COAX so they don't interfere with the TV signal. MOCA is more expensive though but like DECA works MUCH better than powerline adapters.)

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

On 6/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Psybadek said:

The thing with Powerline adapters is since it runs through the lines in your wall they typically run best if they are on the same circuit (or wall)

For instance in my office I tested some and put it in the socket where my modem is which is on the outer wall. In another room I plugged them into a socket that was an interior wall. Slow connection. Same room moved it to a socket on the outer wall and the connection was pretty close to what I have. The solution I choose instead was to buy some deca adapters and use the old direct tv coax that was installed in the house. (DECA boxes are pretty cheap and I have the full speed from it. MOCA works as well if you have cable TV instead of satellite. They use difference frequencies on the COAX so they don't interfere with the TV signal. MOCA is more expensive though but like DECA works MUCH better than powerline adapters.)

Maybe in the future when we get access to better internet here.

Here in Australia we pay $80 AUD/month (~$55 USD/month) for 50 mbps download and 20 mbps upload. At these speeds even my powerline adapter can provide full download speeds.

Deca adapters sound great but probably won't be utilized fully, not here at least.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU