Lag spikes during in home streaming

Go to solution Solved by ToTouchAnEmu,

So I did some more digging and finally found this random forum where another person was complaining about the same problem and finally discovered that the location services on the macbook was the issue. It periodically searches for other available wifi networks and, in doing so, causes the lag spike. After I disabled location services, it's working perfectly now!

updating with the solution in case anyone else with the same issue ever finds this thread.

I have a gaming pc and ps4 in my office. My wife and I play games together so I will grab my 2015 macbook pro and sit with her in the living room and stream the game to my laptop. Every 2 or 3 minutes the picture and sound will drop down to about 4 or 5 frames per second and glitch out like crazy for 5 seconds or so. I'll list the troubleshooting steps I have taken below.

1. Updated the router to the latest firmware.
2. Run a wifi analysis to be sure it's not congested (using 5Ghz about 7 ft from the router and I'm the only one on the channel)
3. Installed remote play and steam on another mobile device and streamed via wifi (with zero lag spikes).

So clearly the problem is limited to the macbook's wifi. Is there anything about the way OSX handles wifi that would cause lag spikes like that? BTW both my PC and PS4 in the office are tethered with ethernet.

So I did some more digging and finally found this random forum where another person was complaining about the same problem and finally discovered that the location services on the macbook was the issue. It periodically searches for other available wifi networks and, in doing so, causes the lag spike. After I disabled location services, it's working perfectly now!

updating with the solution in case anyone else with the same issue ever finds this thread.