Screen Flickering at high brightness - Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga

Hello everyone,

As you can see in the video there is a weird problem with my laptop display. When I turn the brightness up the screen starts to flickkering pretty badly.

I have tried things like boot into an other OS, update Intel Graphic Drivers, turning off "panel self-refresh" feature, ... Unfortunately none of these things made any difference. 
At first I thought the problem might be the connection cable with the screen, but this does not seem to make sense as the screen only flickers at (very) high brightness.

Details on the issue:

- Happens at (very) high brightness (can occur anywhere between 70% - 100% brightness)

- Does not always happen at high brightness, some days the screen seems to be working fine.

- At very low brightness the screen sometimes starts flickering aswell. This is not at all as disturbing as the flickering at high brightness.

- The laptop in quest is: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Intel Core i7-6500U with build-in Intel Graphics, 8GB RAM, OLED screen (2560x1440)

- The flickering can occur while being plugged in and while using the battery

Any help or possible suggestions/solutions are more than welcome! If any extra details about the issue or the laptop are needed, just let me know. 
Thanks!

The video:

If it's under warranty RMA it, this isn't normal. It kind of looks like the screen isn't getting enough power (if the screen's power delivery is damaged it could also explain malfunctions at low power).

If that's not an option try doing some troubleshooting, in the off chance this is a software problem. Try lowering the resolution, booting into safe mode, using a different operating system or reinstalling windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If it's under warranty RMA it, this isn't normal. It kind of looks like the screen isn't getting enough power (if the screen's power delivery is damaged it could also explain malfunctions at low power).

If that's not an option try doing some troubleshooting, in the off chance this is a software problem. Try lowering the resolution, booting into safe mode, using a different operating system or reinstalling windows.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the warranty has expired a few months ago. I though the same thing: it's a hardware issue. Replacement is probably very expensive though... *sigh*

Just now, MXVH said:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the warranty has expired a few months ago. I though the same thing: it's a hardware issue. Replacement is probably very expensive though... *sigh*

you may not need a screen replacement if it's a damaged motherboard trace, take it to a board repair technician for diagnostics

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

you may not need a screen replacement if it's a damaged motherboard trace, take it to a board repair technician for diagnostics

Ok i'll look at the possible options, thanks again for the reply.

• 4 months later...

MXVH - thanks for documenting your issue. I have the exact same situation. Were you ever able to get the issue identified and solved?

If you took it in for diagnostics, did you have to find a Lenovo repair shop, or just a typical computer tech shop? Thanks for any updates. 

• 11 months later...

I have a X1 Yoga 1st Gen(2016) OLED have the very same problem. and eventually the screen cant been light up. so I brought a new Oled screen and replaced it early this year(2020). however last week I found the same problem happen again on my new screen. So I tried to replace the new screen with the old one, Voila the old one works just fine . So I packed up the new screen and hoping maybe after 9 months it will work normal. And I still dont know the reason why both the oled screen start to flickering. I tried to heat, reconnect adjust intel PWM, they all failed. but only time can mend this magically! 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, MXVH said:

Hello everyone,

As you can see in the video there is a weird problem with my laptop display. When I turn the brightness up the screen starts to flickkering pretty badly.

I have tried things like boot into an other OS, update Intel Graphic Drivers, turning off "panel self-refresh" feature, ... Unfortunately none of these things made any difference. 
At first I thought the problem might be the connection cable with the screen, but this does not seem to make sense as the screen only flickers at (very) high brightness.

Details on the issue:

- Happens at (very) high brightness (can occur anywhere between 70% - 100% brightness)

- Does not always happen at high brightness, some days the screen seems to be working fine.

- At very low brightness the screen sometimes starts flickering aswell. This is not at all as disturbing as the flickering at high brightness.

- The laptop in quest is: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Intel Core i7-6500U with build-in Intel Graphics, 8GB RAM, OLED screen (2560x1440)

- The flickering can occur while being plugged in and while using the battery

Any help or possible suggestions/solutions are more than welcome! If any extra details about the issue or the laptop are needed, just let me know. 
Thanks!

The video:

ooooooof thats such a downer. try to contact Lenovo and if your still under warrenty theyll fi it for free and if your not under warrenty they may still be able to help you for free.