2 Mics into 1 interface, but split outputs

DaltonM

So I have Scarlet 18i8 and I have 2 XLR mics going into it. But the output only shows up as Focusrite USB audio and it combines the output of both mics into 1 device. I'm trying to use OBS to apply different filters to each mic as one is a condenser and the other is SM58 stage mic. 

My question is how do I split each mic into it's own 'device' so they can be each leveled and filtered independently. 

thanks!

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

5 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Thanks for your post, but I know all of this, and it's not what I'm asking for.

Previously, I used an xbox headset for one mic, and my 18i8 for my other mic. But now, with both mics in the 18i8, there's only one device to assign to the mixer. What I need is input 1 on 18i8 to be device 1 and input 2 on 18i8 to be device 2. I need to do this to apply different filters and levels to each mic separately.

As it stands now, I have both mics coming in Mic/Aux 1 because there's only one device selectable from the interface.

Hope this clarifies things. 

3 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Thanks for your post, but I know all of this, and it's not what I'm asking for.

Previously, I used an xbox headset for one mic, and my 18i8 for my other mic. But now, with both mics in the 18i8, there's only one device to assign to the mixer. What I need is input 1 on 18i8 to be device 1 and input 2 on 18i8 to be device 2. I need to do this to apply different filters and levels to each mic separately.

As it stands now, I have both mics coming in Mic/Aux 1 because there's only one device selectable from the interface.

Hope this clarifies things. 

OBS only supports stereo interfaces. You can have it split the mics to left and right channels in OBS and mix them as two mono inputs in OBS though. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

To be able to process each input separately, you're going to have to use a program which can access the individual channels on the interface. Most live processing programs won't be able to do this, as processing multiple channels in real-time can get quite heavy. The only one i would suggest trying is voicemeeter banana, but i wouldn't be very hopeful. What you're really looking for would be a physical mixer, preferably with a USB output/ built in interface.

I would ask why you decided to go with an 18i8, as it's pretty overkill and the wrong tool for the job if you only want to use two mics.

If you've just bought the 18i8 new, you could have bought something like an X-Air XR12, which would provide as much processing on multiple channels as you could want, then mix it down to a final stereo mix to take into the computer.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, BrinkGG said:

OBS only supports stereo interfaces. You can have it split the mics to left and right channels in OBS and mix them as two mono inputs in OBS though. 

Right now I am downmixing to mono. I couldn't find an option to split each mic into L/R channels. I thought of this but couldn't figure out how to do it. 

21 hours ago, anothertom said:

I would ask why you decided to go with an 18i8, as it's pretty overkill and the wrong tool for the job if you only want to use two mics.

I usually use it to record instruments. I need inputs for at least 3 instruments. Plus I got it for free because I traded in my hotel chain points for amazon cards enough for it.