Oculus sensor questions

steelo

I have had an Oculus for about 3 months now and recently purchased USB 3.0 extenders in an attempt to tidy up the wiring. However, whenever I connect the extension wires it will show one running at 3.0 and the other at 2.0. I've even tried switching the wires between sensors but each time it will give a warning that I need to use a USB 3.0 port. I decided to ignore the warning and try out a game but the tracking was horrendous. The controllers were fine but it seemed to be having trouble tracking my headset and couldn't decide my placement. The sensors were mounted on the front wall, one in each corner about 10-11 feet apart.

Finally, I decided to ditch the USB cable extenders and remount the sensors about 6 ft apart on either side of my monitor above me. So far tracking (seems) to be okay. My question is, how do you use extension cables without the signal degrading and hurting tracking performance? I ran the wires behind my computer, along with about 20 other cables, is there a possibility that it was getting electrical interference?

12 minutes ago, steelo said:

I have had an Oculus for about 3 months now and recently purchased USB 3.0 extenders in an attempt to tidy up the wiring. However, whenever I connect the extension wires it will show one running at 3.0 and the other at 2.0. I've even tried switching the wires between sensors but each time it will give a warning that I need to use a USB 3.0 port. I decided to ignore the warning and try out a game but the tracking was horrendous. The controllers were fine but it seemed to be having trouble tracking my headset and couldn't decide my placement. The sensors were mounted on the front wall, one in each corner about 10-11 feet apart.

Finally, I decided to ditch the USB cable extenders and remount the sensors about 6 feet apart directly in front of me. So far tracking (seems) to be okay. My question is, how do you use extension cables without the signal degrading and hurting tracking performance? I ran the wires behind my computer, along with about 20 other cables, is there a possibility that it was getting electrical interference?

Unlikely, I forgot what the rated length of cable for USB 3.0 was. But if it's because the cable is too long you may need to get active USB 3.0 cables. Most extension cables are passive.

Just looked it up, no more than about 10 feet for a USB 3.0 cable.

Also check to make sure you're actually plugging it in to a USB 3.0 port.

And both these cables are the same cable and brand right?

I think I remember in one of Linus's VR videos, He said that you'll need a live USB extender rather than just a cable. 

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

2 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

I think I remember in one of Linus's VR videos, He said that you'll need a live USB extender rather than just a cable. 

Active Extensions versus Passive ones. It really does make a difference.

Just now, YoFavRussian said:

Active Extensions versus Passive ones. It really does make a difference.

Yeah. It was in his "Hidden VR room" video (actually title has escape me)

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

This is what I have, 'Gator cable' off of ebay. I questioned whether it was really 3.0 because it seemed very thin and lightweight. Apparently after doing some research, there are lots of people saying "DO NOT BUY" on Amazon. It's an annoyance because I have to go through the return process but I re-positioned the sensors and no longer need the extenders anyways.

I would caution anyone from buying this. To me, it looks like this guy may be buying cheap USB cables (from China), rebranding it and selling it for 4x the price. I (ass)umed that it was made in the USA because it shipped from Florida and had an American flag but it clearly said 'Made in China' on the bag when I got it...Kind of shady IMO...

image.png.a3d4e69c8bcd1a77b18e988ea8e6576b.png

https://www.ebay.com/p/Gator-Cable-5-Feet-Red-Micro-USB-3-0-Solid-Aluminum-Metal-Finish-Data-Charger/1764872424

2 hours ago, YoFavRussian said:

Unlikely, I forgot what the rated length of cable for USB 3.0 was. But if it's because the cable is too long you may need to get active USB 3.0 cables. Most extension cables are passive.

Just looked it up, no more than about 10 feet for a USB 3.0 cable.

Also check to make sure you're actually plugging it in to a USB 3.0 port.

And both these cables are the same cable and brand right?

Just looked it up, no more than about 10 feet for a USB 3.0 cable. The extenders are 6 ft each

Also check to make sure you're actually plugging it in to a USB 3.0 port. Yes, I verified this and tried different USB 3.0 ports

And both these cables are the same cable and brand right? Both are the same brand and cable (Gator Cable)

28 minutes ago, steelo said:

Just looked it up, no more than about 10 feet for a USB 3.0 cable. The extenders are 6 ft each

Also check to make sure you're actually plugging it in to a USB 3.0 port. Yes, I verified this and tried different USB 3.0 ports

And both these cables are the same cable and brand right? Both are the same brand and cable (Gator Cable)

Forgot to ask you to make sure they were actually usb 3.0 cables. I've bought cables from them before and they seemed alright, but maybe because they were just aux cords and things like that. Weird how it picked one up as USB 3.0 but not the other one.

But it seems like you've got your issue solved now?

On 6/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, YoFavRussian said:

Forgot to ask you to make sure they were actually usb 3.0 cables. I've bought cables from them before and they seemed alright, but maybe because they were just aux cords and things like that. Weird how it picked one up as USB 3.0 but not the other one.

But it seems like you've got your issue solved now?

They dont seem to be, or at least not high quality ones. I also tried them both with the oculus headset and the oculus device manager complaind. Anyways, I returned the cables. I repositioned the sensors so the wires can reach my pc and both are working at 3.0 speeds, so all is good ?