MSI raider GE75 - i7 8750h Power Limit Throttling

I noticed that after a few seconds of load, the power supply is throttled from 60W down to 45W (it reaches max performance at 60W). In the mean time temperatures never exceed 80C on max load (liquid metal paste). Since this is 20C lower than max, I believe the power throttling is non-sensical. Is there a way to disable the throttling?

Do you have Intel XTU installed? If you do, can you tell me what's your VR Current Limit?

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Also, I noticed that some people can undervolt to -140mV without running into instabilities on the i7 8750h. Somehow, mine crashes even if I go to -110mV. Am I doing something wrong?

1 minute ago, Ultra Male said:

Do you have Intel XTU installed? If you do, can you tell me what's your VR Current Limit?

I'm using ThrottleStop, but let me get XTU as well and get back to you.

Just now, Kagaratsch said:

Also, I noticed that some people can undervolt to -140mV without running into instabilities on the i7 8750h. Somehow, mine crashes even if I go to -110mV. Am I doing something wrong?

No, each CPU is different. If person A is able to undervolt by -110mV stable does not mean Person B can do the same. It all depends on the silicon lottery. Some CPUs can run at X frequency with less voltage and some can't so you'll have to experiment for yourself on what works for your CPU

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Kagaratsch said:

I'm using ThrottleStop, but let me get XTU as well and get back to you.

sure, upping the VR Current Limit should take care of it once you tell me your current value.

I wouldn't touch ThrottleStop personally with a 10 foot pole.

Not sure where to find the VR Current Limit reading... Maybe the following contains it somewhere?

image.png.9acb1e88ad4c49fb0fa1d5c66d4c8a39.png

34 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

No

31 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

I wouldn't touch ThrottleStop personally with a 10 foot pole.

Strangely, I had bad experience with XTU and never had an issue with TS

47 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Is there a way to disable the throttling?

Increasing PL1 limit?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Increasing PL1 limit?

That sounds interesting! I did not see a button or slider for that. Could you elaborate a bit on how to do that?

3 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

That sounds interesting! I did not see a button or slider for that. Could you elaborate a bit on how to do that?

If you have XTU, you should see turbo boost power max (PL1) / short power max (PL2). All you need to do is increasing power max to a higher value. Note that in some models, this cannot be done due to BIOS/firmware overwrite

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

If you have XTU, you should see turbo boost power max (PL1) / short power max (PL2). All you need to do is increasing power max to a higher value. Note that in some models, this cannot be done due to BIOS/firmware overwrite

Ah, yes I see, that's the "Turbo Boost Long/Short Power Max" in ThrottleStop. Unfortunately, increasing PL1 above 45W does not prevent it from throttling to 45W, so there must be an overwrite. Maybe I can change this in the BIOS with the "secret" key combination.

1 minute ago, Kagaratsch said:

Maybe I can change this in the BIOS with the "secret" key combination.

Firmware/EC can still overwrite it (happens to my Y530)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Kagaratsch said:

And here the XTU screen:

image.png.27bcd843357750e46d26dd809e2d4520.png

VR Current Limit is what it says in the BIOS and in XTU that translates to Processore Core ICCMax. yours is the default 128A. Raise it to 160A then test. If the system still throttles, then max it out at 200A. Don't worry, there is no harm maxing it out this is just to tell the motherboard that it can use whatever power it needs it's not like the CPU voltage where too much could harm it.

Lemme know how it goes.

50 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Before you touch anything, just play with the Processor Core ICCMax and see if it solves the issue.

Provided we are not talking about thermal throttling due to heat, then this should do the trick. I've tried it on every MSI laptop I've owned (MSI GT73VR Titan Pro, MSI GT75 Titan 8RG, etc.)

1 hour ago, Ultra Male said:

Before you touch anything, just play with the Processor Core ICCMax and see if it solves the issue.

Provided we are not talking about thermal throttling due to heat, then this should do the trick. I've tried it on every MSI laptop I've owned (MSI GT73VR Titan Pro, MSI GT75 Titan 8RG, etc.)

Aww, I think I fucked up the bios configuration, haha xD I had a nice set of settings from HIDevolution, now I switched some stuff around and power consumption went up a lot. Maybe you know some optimal BIOS settings for the GE75? I mean, perhaps there is an optimal BIOS setup tutorial for GE75 you know of? I tried to google, but did not find anything yet.

35 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Aww, I think I fucked up the bios configuration, haha xD I had a nice set of settings from HIDevolution, now I switched some stuff around and power consumption went up a lot. Maybe you know some optimal BIOS settings for the GE75? I mean, perhaps there is an optimal BIOS setup tutorial for GE75 you know of? I tried to google, but did not find anything yet.

I don't know any optimal settings for that laptop as I never owned it. I buy all my laptops are from HIDevolution as well.

What I'd recommend you to do is to reset your BIOS to factory default (last tab) then save and exit.

The laptop will take a while before the splash screen appears. The moment you see it, enter BIOS again and make sure you set the SATA mode to AHCI or RAID depending on what it was before.

The only thing you need to touch for now is if you have an overclocking tab (my GT73 and GT75 had that) then go there and where it says VR Current limit, change it to 800.

why 800 when I told you to set it to 200A in XTU? Simply because the value that's shown in XTU is divided by 4 so 800/4 = 200A

If you're still unable to get this sorted then let me know.

Ok, got it to work after some tinkering and a BIOS update. Fairly satisfied with the result:

image.png.c16fb87de56e541bb7f3d4007bdf8b98.png

20 minutes ago, Kagaratsch said:

Ok, got it to work after some tinkering and a BIOS update. Fairly satisfied with the result:

What did you do?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

What did you do?

If you try this, please report back how this went in your case? Curious to know how other systems behave.

1 hour ago, Kagaratsch said:

If you try this, please report back how this went in your case? Curious to know how other systems behave.

I've been using Speedshift 1 since day 1. No need to adjust power limits - PL1 60w PL2 90w, PL1 will drop to 45w/35w when GPU is under heavy load (eg games)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I've been using Speedshift 1 since day 1. No need to adjust power limits - PL1 60w PL2 90w, PL1 will drop to 45w/35w when GPU is under heavy load (eg games)

I see, I actually had some purely CPU loads in mind while tuning this, for productivity tasks like file conversions. True, if the GPU is under load as well, then there is probably no chance of CPU staying over 45W for long.

• 5 months later...

Hey, I have similar issue with my laptop (MSI GT75 Titan 8RG). Once i do some heavy tasks on my computer it just stops charging even if charger is plugged in. I dont know what's the issue, however it says "Turbo boost max 200W", but according to my laptops specifications it is supossed to use 330W.

Here is the specification https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT75-Titan-8RG/Specification

Capture.PNG

• 8 months later...

Get in the BIOS and unlock the Bios, go to the advanced settings. This applies to almost all MSI which has advanced settings enabled. But do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for fried CPUs and GPUs. 

Then go to Advanced > Power & Performance > CPU - Power Management Control > CPU VR Settings > Core/IA VR Settings. 

Set IMON Slope to 50

Set IMON Offset to 31999 Set IMON Prefix to "-", This is important, if you set it wrong you'll throttle like no tomorrow.

Save and Reboot.

What this does is to have a negative offset of -31.999W on the reported TDP, So the CPU will be tricked and thinks that the TDP limit has not been reached. 

Before doing this I highly recommend you to repaste with liquid metal on both CPU and GPU.