Elgato Stream Deck alternative

InternetJohnny

Lately I've been searching around for a programmable keyboard to use when gaming/creating. Searching on google got me to the Stream Deck, which looks perfect, except for the price. So I came up with an alternative by repurposing a MIDI keypad I had laying around.

Ingredients ?
  • a MIDI device/keyboard

• some free software

Recipe ?

In order to accomplish this, I used a program called BOME Midi Translator Classic, which allows you to translate a MIDI keypress into a regular keypress (or a combination of them).

Detailed instructions along with screenshots of the process can be found here ?

This let's us map the press of a pad to, for instance, the volume up key-combo (it's fn + F4 on my keyboard)

I also used a program called AutoHotKey.

AHK let’s you remap any key combo to something else. Here's an example of a really useful script I have:

#j::
    Send, myemail@gmail.com
Return

Translated:

Line 1 - Creates a new shortcut for Win + j

Line 2 - When the shortcut is activated, it sends the text after the Send, statement

Line 3 - ends the script

End Result ⌨

(image attached since I dont know how to embed images)

It is hard to state how much time this has saved me in the long run. You can do this and much more with it.

The post detailing the full process with images is on Medium, I thought it might be useful for someone.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

PS: I would also love to know if anyone has found a cheaper ? off-the-shelf alternative to the Streamdeck. I've watched Taran's video about using a 2nd keyboard just for macros, but it seems like it would take up too much space

pad.jpeg

I'm a Mac user, but I've been doing similar using a basic $10 USB number pad from Amazon and a USB controller program, Controllermate iV.

It basicly just takes USB signals from a device and using a series of building blocks, can make it do..whatever, from different keys to opening programs to running full scripts.

(I know it has a bunch of midi control stuff in it, too, but I haven't looked at that yet)

image.png.038b566278b9b6ebafab397254f4ce5a.png

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm planning to duplicate my mac stuff on Windows, I'm a bit bummed this thread didn't get more traffic :(

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎