Which CPU to use for Dad's Build

Go to solution Solved by Beowulff83,
17 minutes ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

i3 9100F

So I just started a little service business to try to make some money to save up for another build in the future. I clean out PCs or help people upgrade hardware but I mainly try to do my building service, which only costs $30 for labor and installing unactivated Windows 10 Pro. My dad has had a 7 year old HP desktop with an i5 2400 but just got a new monitor (32" Samsung Curved 1080p 60hz widescreen 4ms monitor) so he want another PC to run on that monitor. He's willing to pay me the $30 for a build and has some specific requirements. FYI, he is very stubborn and will stick to his opinion. He wants an Intel CPU, 16GB of RAM, and a graphics card. He just does normal desktop tasks (like surfding internet) and doesn't game or do professional work but he still just wants these things. I'm trying to decide between the i5 9400F and i3 9100F. 6 cores or 4 cores. Plan to keep PC for a long time. Which one would be the best choice for what he does?

4 minutes ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

Which one would be the best choice for what he does?

any old prebuilt for cheap will do (get another i5 2400)

imo ryzen 1600 / 2400g is the bottom line of building a pc,

anything lower,  I would get a raspberry pi for simple tasks

27 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

This is not a great cpu, I wouldn’t go for it. Just get a Ryzen 3 2200G.

8 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

agreed but

9 hours ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

FYI, he is very stubborn and will stick to his opinion. He wants an Intel CPU

10 hours ago, Beowulff83 said:

i3 9100F

10 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Actually, since he just told me he has a chance he will do some productivity work, I guess I will go for the 9400F. Since he is keeping it for a long time, might as well just get the extra 2 cores and 2 threads in case. Also, since he plans to keep the PC for a long time, should I keep the stock cooler (the ugly Intel one) or get a cheap aftermarket one like the $24 Thermaltake Contac Silent 12. He likely won't put CPU under too much load and does not play any games so I'm not exactly sure if the extra money is really worth it (BTW case has no window).

How about 4 cores and 8 threads? I know he doesnt like AMD or prefer Intel,but AMD is about to lower their Ryzen 2000 prices if its not already the case. I think the 2400G or 2600 paired with a low end GPU is a good option. Only thing i dont like about the 9400 is its missing the hyper threading, just my opinion

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU