i9-9900k vs i9-9900ks

So other than clock speed what's the difference between the 9900k and 9900ks? Like is it just an overclock to the same processor or a whole new processor? Would it be worth waiting for the i9-9900ks? It's probably gonna be towards the end of the month before I have the money to buy one, but I can wait if it would be worth waiting.

2 minutes ago, bcuz said:

So other than clock speed what's the difference between the 9900k and 9900ks? Like is it just an overclock to the same processor or a whole new processor?

The 9900ks is a binned 9900k. They take the good chips off the production line and scribble an s on the end in order to sell at a [presumably] slightly higher price. Same principal behind the 8086K compared to the 8700k.

3 minutes ago, bcuz said:

It's probably gonna be towards the end of the month before I have the money to buy one, but I can wait if it would be worth waiting.

What are you going to be using the system for? Do you already have the Z370/Z390 motherboard?
New Ryzen CPUs launch 7th July. Could be worth waiting until then to see some independent reviews as to how the new Ryzen CPUs compare against the Intel stuff. We know for sure there will be a 12c/24t Ryzen CPU, with a 16c/32t expected and being discussed by motherboard manufacturers however not yet officially confirmed by AMD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The 9900k is an outstanding CPU. 

You don't need to dig in to those"small" differences.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

28 minutes ago, bcuz said:

So other than clock speed what's the difference between the 9900k and 9900ks? Like is it just an overclock to the same processor or a whole new processor? Would it be worth waiting for the i9-9900ks? It's probably gonna be towards the end of the month before I have the money to buy one, but I can wait if it would be worth waiting.

Because of the CPU manufacturing process, there's some variance in quality between the chips coming out of Intel's fabs. All of them on store shelves pass Intel's performance requirements, but some of the chips just barely passed those requirements and some of the chips aced them with flying colors. Where your particular chip falls into that spectrum is the silicon lottery.

9900ks is Intel taking some of those highest performance chips that aced the requirements (the "highest binned" ones) and selling them with a fancy name tag and probably a fancy price to go with it. They're going to be the very best 9900k CPUs on the market, but they're still 9900k CPUs.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

42 minutes ago, bcuz said:

Edit, sorry KF has the GPU disabled, KS is the one with the stable clock on all cores.

• 5 months later...

I know this is a old post, but what kind of bullshit is this... excuse the language, but how is this even legal, we are going to sell you the same processor for almost $100 more oh and by the way the 9900k we sold you was slightly defective so we slapped a s at the end of this one and its "technically" a different product.

Anyone have any luck getting intel to replace their "non binned" version with one. This is one of the sleaziest things ive heard of.. didnt know this had already been going on for some time since i dont follow tech news that closely

In practice, around $50 and the letter S

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x