What do you guys think of this upgrade?

Hi all, I currently have a i5 4690k (4.5Ghz), 16GB Ram, and an EVGA GTX 1070 SC.

I've been having major CPU bottlenecks trying to play at at 1440p 144hz, and along with this I've had had pretty slow video render times (I do video production on the side), and overall I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU for a while now.

So, I want to bite the bullet and get it done.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an i7 9700kASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard, and 32 GB of 2666Mhz memory (16 GB of this now, and I'll get 16GB more later when I have some spare cash.)

I haven't payed attention to the processor market or anything for a long time and I'm looking for some opinions from you guys if this system will work well. I'm hoping my GPU won't become a problem afterwards, as I haven't had problems with it so far at 1440p for games.

Thanks for any opinions/advice! ❤️

I would go for 3200Mhz RAM

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I would go for 3200Mhz RAM

For Intel it doesn’t really matter.

It is their latest chip, and your planning an i7 so it should be pretty future proof

Wait for launch of Zen 2. If you cant wait, go last gen and grab an 8700k instead. But waiting for Zen 2 is the best choice right now. Launch is at 7th/7th launching their 7nm CPUs, (yes clever)

Also grab 3000mhz memmory, its where the sweetspot is at.

52 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wait for launch of Zen 2. If you cant wait, go last gen and grab an 8700k instead. But waiting for Zen 2 is the best choice right now. Launch is at 7th/7th launching their 7nm CPUs, (yes clever)

Its obviously a thing stuck in my head, and probably not the most rational, but I've had poor experiences with my AMD products in the past so i'm just more leaning towards Intel right now.

1 hour ago, Daniel Z. said:

For Intel it doesn’t really matter.

yeah this video led me to just get 2666. I've seen videos of the benchmarks between the speeds and honestly, I'll be okay with the ~5 FPS difference I think.

Honestly I think my biggest concern is whether or not I'll go from having a CPU bottleneck to a GPU one with only a 1070 8GB.

Edit: Especially on 1440p @ 144hz

Clearly the big issue your having is threads and cores since you are rendering. Only having 4 threads actually really hurts for games more than people think as 4 doesn't really cover your bases, but if you can hold off till at least some 3rd party benchmark numbers from reputable sources e.g. LLT, Gamers Nexus, and the like come for new 3000 series, i think its worth it. If It doesn't meet your expectations you can just go Intel if that's what you really want, but so far with my experience with AMD and Intel on multiple builds your GPU is what matters most to reach that 144 fps mark especially in higher resolutions past 1080p . Try to see if you can squeeze some performance out of your 1070 while your at it by maxing power target, start with a modest 120+ core and 300+ memory overclock. You might still see a change since 1440p is alot more GPU bound than 1080p. Also since your defently planning on upgrading your cpu might as well see how hard you can push it, dont go to crazy on the voltage but you should be able to reach 4.8 no problem, My 3770k before i went to 8700k got to 4.9 GHz, it hit a hard limit there no matter the voltage increase (up to 1.46v still no stable 5 GHz i could hit it but it would crash on tests), so its definitely worth a shot. Dont worry about 85+ C for its last days as a cpu, only if its 90 worry. Dont go over 1.42 volts unless your feeling lucky you wont see any gains at that point anyway.

Side note:

If you want to go the used route and don't want to spend a ton of cash just  go on ebay sell your cpu/GPU (if your comfortable doing that) buy a used i7-4790K (205$) and a used 1080 Ti (450$), Bam instant 1440p gaming performance decent bit better rendering. I would recommend doing this after AMD's 3000 series 3rd source reviews of the cpus to get a full view.

do you really want that mobo? get Aorus lineup like Aorus Elite it seems better anyway.

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

do you really want that mobo? get Aorus lineup like Aorus Elite it seems better anyway.

I mean, what makes it seem better?

1 minute ago, Metaformed said:

I mean, what makes it seem better?

better heatsinks decent VRM's thats it.

1 hour ago, Metaformed said:

Its obviously a thing stuck in my head, and probably not the most rational, but I've had poor experiences with my AMD products in the past so i'm just more leaning towards Intel right now.

AMD has a succesproduct now and the old name of "bad AMD" ended 2 years ago with the Launch of first gen Ryzen. 

i would hold off, see the benchmarks and then perhaps buy a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU. 

yeah this video led me to just get 2666.

3000mhz is the sweetspot. it costs the same while offering benefits in memmory sensetive titles like the division 2

2 hours ago, Lefteh said:

Try to see if you can squeeze some performance out of your 1070 while your at it by maxing power target, start with a modest 120+ core and 300+ memory overclock. You might still see a change since 1440p is alot more GPU bound than 1080p. Also since your defently planning on upgrading your cpu might as well see how hard you can push it, dont go to crazy on the voltage but you should be able to reach 4.8 no problem, My 3770k before i went to 8700k got to 4.9 GHz, it hit a hard limit there no matter the voltage increase (up to 1.46v still no stable 5 GHz i could hit it but it would crash on tests), so its definitely worth a shot. Dont worry about 85+ C for its last days as a cpu, only if its 90 worry. Dont go over 1.42 volts unless your feeling lucky you wont see any gains at that point anyway.

Ergh I should have mentioned I did overclock my GPU to just about it's limits. I have it to a stable point, but pushing it any further I get artifacting. As for my CPU, I think I may have just gotten the runt of the litter there, as anything past 4.5 is an instant crash.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

AMD has a succesproduct now and the old name of "bad AMD" ended 2 years ago with the Launch of first gen Ryzen. 

i would hold off, see the benchmarks and then perhaps buy a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU. 

I'll definitely wait until I see a few videos on new Ryzen stuff.

My very first system I built was a FX6300 and a 280x and I just had a nightmareish amount of problems with it all. My CPU was not an overclocker to say the least, I think I got it up .1Ghz and anything more it would crash. And my 280x just seemed to always have driver issues and didn't preform very well either (but then again, it was a 280x ?)

With that being said, I have been reading all the good stuff about Ryzen, and I would be quite willing to switch on over as long as I don't have to worry about any problems.

And my 280x just seemed to always have driver issues and didn't preform very well either (but then again, it was a 280x ?)

280x is actually a really good second hand card these days. It performs well and has up to date drivers due to GCN.

My CPU was not an overclocker to say the least, I think I got it up .1Ghz and anything more it would crash

Either you didnt play with voltage or you had a bad mobo. Those are the only good reasons why it or bably didnt OC well

4 hours ago, Metaformed said:

As for my CPU, I think I may have just gotten the runt of the litter there, as anything past 4.5 is an instant crash.

4 hours ago, Metaformed said:

My very first system I built was a FX6300 and a 280x and I just had a nightmareish amount of problems with it all. My CPU was not an overclocker to say the least, I think I got it up .1Ghz and anything more it would crash. And my 280x just seemed to always have driver issues and didn't preform very well either (but then again, it was a 280x ?)

You've been getting the short end of the stick when it come to PC hardware lol. GL on next purchase.

12 hours ago, Lefteh said:

You've been getting the short end of the stick when it come to PC hardware lol. GL on next purchase.

Haha very true. At least I've never had to RMA a stick of RAM. ?‍♂️