Grab a ryzen3000 while waiting for threadripper3000 ?

I'm way not knowledgeable enough in hardware to know the viability of this, but...

Basically I wanted to buy a Threadripper for pro work. Multi-threaded simulations and rendering, mostly.

But I don't think it's such a good idea at this time. gen3 was unveiled, performances will probably be very good, it's relatively cheap. etcetc. Also, gen3 Threadripper probably won't be here before next year at best. On the other hand, regular gen3 is a bit short on cores, and the x570 have only 4 memory slots.

However I have funds now, an old rusty I7 4790k, and a big want and need to upgrade.

What's the viability of getting a 3900x based rig ( even better if the 16c/32t is announced soon™) with a x570 mobo, only to sell them whenever the gen3 equivalent of at least the 2950x is out ?

I believe getting a gen2 Threadripper to sell it later may not be the best bet. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Opinions ? :o

It's probably not the same timespan between releases though ! Sure, we don't know for sure when the 16/32 will be released ( or even officially announced ) but chances are it won't take that long after the first wave. I'd say buying a low, arguably "useless", CPU to change it only a couple months later sounds even more worthless wouldn't you say ?  

But I'll take that as a "non viable" vote. Would you say it's a better idea to grab, say, a 2950x in a x399 mobo, and hope a simple update to the bios will be enough to fit a next gen threadripper CPU, potentially loosing on the x499 ( assumed designation ) new features like PCIe 4.0 ? Or maybe you'd just wait for 2020 ?