What temps to expect from delidding?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is good, but for delidding I would use the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. You can use the Kryonaut for under the cpu cooler. You shouldn't need to reglue it as you are only putting a very small amount on as shown in the Gamers Nexus video.

Hello guys,

I was thinking about delidding my i7-6700K for a while now. My load temps while overclocked are in the mid 80 C when stressed with AIDA64, and I seem to have gotten a CPU that heats even more than the average. FYI it's running 1.36-.137v at 4.7GHz and is cooled by a H100i v2.

I bought myself a tube of kryonaut and I was wondering how much of an improvement I should see if I applied that instead of the liquid metal to the die. Would it be more worthwhile if I only used the kryonaut between the IHS and cooler or is it going to be a noticeable improvement even without liquid metal (which I am not too comfortable with for now)

Regards

Just had a quick watch of that video and Linus is using normal thermal paste so your results will be better with liquid metal. Just be careful when applying it as it can fire out pretty quickly. Probably best to squirt some into a metal dish and use a cotton bud to apply.

This is probably a better visual. Different cpu but same process.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

I saw that video but kryonaut is better than mx4 right?

So the takeaway here is to use LM if I ant to see more than a 5 C drop? Are there going to be issues where the LM "drips" off the die since it will be mounted vertically like in any regular PC case? I was also wondering whether re-sealing the IHS with high temperature silicone glue is necessary or simply a matter of convenience for eventual disassembly/TIM re-application. 

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is good, but for delidding I would use the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. You can use the Kryonaut for under the cpu cooler. You shouldn't need to reglue it as you are only putting a very small amount on as shown in the Gamers Nexus video.

Okay so the glue isn't necessary and people only do it for convenience? Does applying new glue hurt the temps or is it just an extra step for peace of mind? (IHS not simply falling off)

2 hours ago, Dunkan77 said:

Okay so the glue isn't necessary and people only do it for convenience? Does applying new glue hurt the temps or is it just an extra step for peace of mind? (IHS not simply falling off)

You don't have to reglue it back on. If you ever need to redo it then it makes it easier anyway. The weight of the cooler will keep the IHS in place.

2 hours ago, Dunkan77 said:

Does applying new glue hurt the temps or is it just an extra step for peace of mind?

Resealing the CPU will give you a slightly worse result than if you were using a floating IHS.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

2 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Resealing the CPU will give you a slightly worse result than if you were using a floating IHS.

Okay thanks I wanted to know that.