New or old?

So now we know what the new CPUs from a&d are going to be being that I've been waiting for the new release to upgrade...

Upgrade to the new 12 core processor or go with thread ripper what do you think?  

The advantage of the ryzen 9 Will be the updated AM4 motherboards which are supposed to be a little faster in memory?

570x motherboards will also have pcie 4 which is supposed to double bandwidth. I would go with ryzen 9 over old threadripper for pretty much any circumstances

33 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

from a&d

Advanced &icro Devices?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

No updating the MB, that's the whole reason you got a&d in the first place; so you could plop a new chip down in that dusty old board.

no i have to figure out what mother bored to go with :( what to do what to do !??!!?  ...

What is your workflow?

If gaming both are overkill, threadripper lacks IPC, and games lack multi threaded workload to benefit from more cores.  3600x would be better.

Content creation, Ryzen 9 for future proofing and that is it.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Not much gaming mostly video editing I'm thinking ryzen 9 ...But then again anything would be an improvement over my six core lol

What motherboard do you currently have?

Honestly, I am waiting to see if my ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F will support the new Ryzen 9.

I told myself that I wouldn't upgrade until Zen 3 as that will be the last generation Ryzen to support AM4, but we will see.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

10 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

future proofing

Ryzen 9 is pretty present proof if you ask me, real high end streams and highest put of box clocks for best gaming performance. Also hella cores for the video editing tasks OP has mentioned.

3 hours ago, Vance44 said:

Not much gaming mostly video editing I'm thinking ryzen 9 ...But then again anything would be an improvement over my six core lol

Make sure you quote people or use @Vance44 so they see your responses.

I think X570 boards, as they're released, are what you want. They'll be feature rich and very capable 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ryzen 9 is pretty present proof if you ask me, real high end streams and highest put of box clocks for best gaming performance. Also hella cores for the video editing tasks OP has mentioned.

I think X570 boards, as they're released, are what you want. They'll be feature rich and very capable 

You misread what i said.  Ryzen 9 is beyond threadripper. Future proofing as in it is the best you can buy at this moment.

Personal preference i only use @ when the thread is long, or responding to 2 people in one post.

@Vance44

MSI was able to get 4400mhz using X570 on air cooling alone.

@Vance44

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

On 5/29/2019 at 11:11 AM, Jon Jon said:

What motherboard do you currently have?

Honestly, I am waiting to see if my ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F will support the new Ryzen 9.

I told myself that I wouldn't upgrade until Zen 3 as that will be the last generation Ryzen to support AM4, but we will see.

well right now its 1151 lga board i'm going to have to switch to am4 board when i upgrade if i move to ryzen 9  but when i do that i'll go head and get one of the newer more updated boards whatever they come out with 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:52 AM, fasauceome said:

yea i have no idea yet whats to come i'm guessing all the mother boards will come out same time the cpu's do? 

On 5/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

You misread what i said.  Ryzen 9 is beyond threadripper. Future proofing as in it is the best you can buy at this moment.

Personal preference i only use @ when the thread is long, or responding to 2 people in one post.

@Vance44

MSI was able to get 4400mhz using X570 on air cooling alone.

@Vance44

well i guess on the plus side going with ryzen 9 when i upgrade i can use my existing cpu water cooler ... being threadripper is bigger and better to use one made for threadripper right? 

12 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

yea i have no idea yet whats to come i'm guessing all the mother boards will come out same time the cpu's do? 

The high end boards will come out with the high end processors, the mid range will follow

Primary PC:

will you be upgrading? 

and to what? 

4 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

will you be upgrading? 

and to what? 

My i7 will probably be roughly matched by new Ryzen, and I only game so I don't need the cores. Although, if I still had my 4790k I'd be very tempted to get something new and exciting.

Primary PC:

6 hours ago, Vance44 said:

well right now its 1151 lga board i'm going to have to switch to am4 board when i upgrade if i move to ryzen 9  but when i do that i'll go head and get one of the newer more updated boards whatever they come out with 

I would get a higher end x570 board if you are going in now anyway.

You should check out the videos all of the YT guys are doing from Computex. They all look awesome and should support the Ryzen 9 with ease.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

My i7 will probably be roughly matched by new Ryzen, and I only game so I don't need the cores. Although, if I still had my 4790k I'd be very tempted to get something new and exciting.

yea i'm only running on 6cores now with the 8700 and it dose what i need it do but i've i'm going to upgrade to something faster with more cores might as well be the ryzen 9 12 cores not something with just 8 

4 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

I would get a higher end x570 board if you are going in now anyway.

You should check out the videos all of the YT guys are doing from Computex. They all look awesome and should support the Ryzen 9 with ease.

i'm thinking the only reason i would go with older threadripper is bc i could get every more cores but i shouldn't need anything more then  12 anyways 6 dose good right now 12 will be super fast!

Quite interested in this topic too. My attempt at asking questions on whether to grab a gen2 threadripper vs grabbing a gen3 regular ryzen have not been met with a lot of success :D

I'd prefer at least a 16/32 cpu, so fingers crossed for some good news before july 7 on that front, but after reviewing my options I guess I'll go with the new gen too. At least I'll be able to see how the new ram standards, or PCIe 4 are doing. 12/24 is not much for what I do but it's still better than what I have.

Maybe even sell both cpu and mobo to get a threadripper when they come out. Pretty much everything else in the rig should still be up to date and I guess a good 3900x will still be selling nicely. The trade game at its finest. 

11 minutes ago, Wolrajh said:

Quite interested in this topic too. My attempt at asking questions on whether to grab a gen2 threadripper vs grabbing a gen3 regular ryzen have not been met with a lot of success :D

I'd prefer at least a 16/32 cpu, so fingers crossed for some good news before july 7 on that front, but after reviewing my options I guess I'll go with the new gen too. At least I'll be able to see how the new ram standards, or PCIe 4 are doing. 12/24 is not much for what I do but it's still better than what I have.

Maybe even sell both cpu and mobo to get a threadripper when they come out. Pretty much everything else in the rig should still be up to date and I guess a good 3900x will still be selling nicely. The trade game at its finest. 

well i think for me anyways i'd go with the ryzen 9 because 12 cores is more then enough for me way more then 6 and the new motherboards are going to support faster memory 

which should be better then 12 core threadripper i could go with 16 cores but anything 16 or more i'm just going to start seeing diminishing returns i think .. 

and for what i do in video editing its not going utilize all cores anyways when  i get that high in cores 

we'll just have to see if threadripper prices drop then go from there? 

35 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

well i think for me anyways i'd go with the ryzen 9 because 12 cores is more then enough for me way more then 6 and the new motherboards are going to support faster memory 

which should be better then 12 core threadripper i could go with 16 cores but anything 16 or more i'm just going to start seeing diminishing returns i think .. 

and for what i do in video editing its not going utilize all cores anyways when  i get that high in cores 

we'll just have to see if threadripper prices drop then go from there? 

16 core is coming to am4 as well.

Honestly, the benefits of pcie 4.0 and much faster ram may mitigate the extra core count potential.

It really depends on your workload. Even passed 16 cores it becomes specific to the applications so if you are planning to use Adobe Suite as an example, I think you would benefit more from faster ram and storage speeds as applications like After Effects do not core scale that high.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

7 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

16 core is coming to am4 as well.

Honestly, the benefits of pcie 4.0 and much faster ram may mitigate the extra core count potential.

It really depends on your workload. Even passed 16 cores it becomes specific to the applications so if you are planning to use Adobe Suite as an example, I think you would benefit more from faster ram and storage speeds as applications like After Effects do not core scale that high.

yea i use davinic resolve ... but i get what your saying ... 12 is way more then what i need ..  i've not even heard anything on the 16?  i just know there is a chance they are going to be coming out .. they have not be officially announced  or anything as far as i know .. ? 

2 hours ago, Vance44 said:

yea i use davinic resolve ... but i get what your saying ... 12 is way more then what i need ..  i've not even heard anything on the 16?  i just know there is a chance they are going to be coming out .. they have not be officially announced  or anything as far as i know .. ? 

It is technically a rumor, but there is a lot of evidence supporting it. It may be coming later on after the initial launch.

Here is a great analysis on how Davinci Resolve leverages CPUs:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1310/

As per this article, Davinci Resolve does not seem to scale better with cores, and is more GPU reliant:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

Maybe a Radeon IIV is in your future if Davinci Resolve is your primary application. It looks to beat the RTX 2080ti at roughly half the price.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

3 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

It is technically a rumor, but there is a lot of evidence supporting it. It may be coming later on after the initial launch.

ahhh that fabled 16 cores would alleviate my choices issues so much. I could even think about settling for one, if it weren't for the ram count being technically limited on the x570 mobos. 

it's a wet dream but man would I looove it if they were to announce it on June 10 as rumoured/hoped :D

My own usage is very core dependent, but I suspect the speed of pcie 4.0, ram, and frequency of the new gen would really make up for that lack of cores ( compared to the core king 2990wx... And that's not taking the huge price difference into account ).