Razer Hammerhead Pro - Excellent design and sound

Hawx

Last week I decided that I need a new pair of earphones before I return to school, as the HTC ones that came with my phone, while still an excellent pair, were starting to show their age.. I had some spare cash lying around from a web design job I just completed, and thought "Why not?".

After looking around (and watching Linus's review), the Hammerheads seemed to be the highest quality, best looking earphones for their price (Around $85 AUD). The added bass response suited my listening style of electronic/dubstep music. I went with the Pro model as the microphone will be helpful with my Razer Blade 14's annoying combo port.

Style, Quality, and Branding:

The green cord and black, brushed aluminium features all look excellent and suit perfectly with the rest of my Razer gear. The cord is rather thin, though this shouldn't matter unless you like chewing through your cords. In all cases, I would've preferred an anti-tangle, flat cord. The aluminium connection points are all very solid so I doubt it's going to fall apart anytime soon. The only branding you'll see is the "For Gamers, By Gamers" on the ends of the earphones themselves. I would've liked to see a Razer logo instead, but it doesn't really concern me.

So what's the sound like?

I don't have any audiophile grade headphones or earphones to compare these to, but it's certainly better than my HTC earphones or even my Plantronics over-the-ear monster. The noise isolation does its job well (am using the small eartips), so I can barely hear anything outside of my music. Sound comes through very clearly with no distortion. I wouldn't suggest using a phone with Beats Audio enabled, as it does make music sound a bit bland through these earphones. As for gaming? They work well with BF4 and Razer Surround. The noise isolation means I can easily hear people sneaking around me.

But what about the added bass?

It's actually not all that overpowering. The biflanges do make it sound a bit muffled and too intense, so I wouldn't suggest using those. The bass response sounds on par with a small sized logitech subwoofer on medium (The X-230 2.1 system is comparable), except all of that bass going is directly into my ears. It does make my dubstep sound wonderful on such a small scale.

Microphone Quality:

It's average to say the least. Fine for calls and Skype, perhaps not the best for something like teamspeak.

Final Thoughts:

If you love bass/EDM music, then yeah, get these. The new Adaro's might suit you better if you like the styling, but want a much more level listening style.

6xqjb.jpg

-Hawx

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I was waiting for one of these, it seems like i will be getting a pair soon too. Good review, nice and to the point. Although how's electro music? (Monstercat, etc)

Ironically I'm listening to Monstercat right now (Well, the 23 - Fresh Monstercat release to be precise). Yes, these work very well with all EDM-related music, be it electronic, dubstep, trapstep, drum n' bass, or house. 

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

How about how they feel? Are you able to wear them for hours at a time without feeling discomfort? 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

How about how they feel? Are you able to wear them for hours at a time without feeling discomfort? 

I do have ears on the smaller side, and I've never owned IEMs before, but they do stay comfortable for up to around the 4 hour mark. Past that they get a little annoying. By then it's probably time to take a break anyways.

Ironically I'm listening to Monstercat right now (Well, the 23 - Fresh Monstercat release to be precise). Yes, these work very well with all EDM-related music, be it electronic, dubstep, trapstep, drum n' bass, or house.

good, thanks for the info. Also nice Blade :P

good, thanks for the info. Also nice Blade :P

Cheers. I'm actually planning to write a review up of my blade tomorrow.

I do have ears on the smaller side, and I've never owned IEMs before, but they do stay comfortable for up to around the 4 hour mark. Past that they get a little annoying. By then it's probably time to take a break anyways.

I do too, and I find that a lot of ear buds don't fit properly because of it. 

Thanks for the review. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

I have these headphones and I'm pretty happy with them. The bass is STRONG. The only problem I have with my hammerhead pro's is the little metal screen inside of the part that goes in your ear. The left one fell out, due to bad glue I think or not enough glue. This was a simple fix with a dab of super glue. It didn't affect audio quality at all. I'm a little mad that the Adaro's are coming out so soon. The only thing I don't like about these headphones is they don't have a flat cable, which the adaro's do. 

• 2 months later...

Has someone tested these with metal music because I'm interested at how they perform with that genre.