Crashing because of a bad hdd?

SooWhat

Games occasionaly crash. Swapped out my gpu ,still crashes.

But my hdd might be making very quiet ticking noises while utilising it.

No bluescreen. The screen just freezes and the ingame sound litterally earrapes me.

Could it be because of my bad hdd?

3 minutes ago, SooWhat said:

No bluescreen. The screen just freezes and the ingame sound litterally earrapes me.

Tiking is normal. Mine used to do this. I upgraded to an SSD and it may have fixed my problem. Have you done any OC on your CPU or GPU? I would up the voltage just a slight bit. Try one ram DIMM and if it happens again to try another. One could be bad. Reseat your CPU. 

There is a lot of things that could cause this sadly. 

Did I fix your problem? Please feel free to donate to me at <Link Removed> 

Any donation is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My pc - PCPartPicker part list 

2 minutes ago, jake765111 said:

Have you done any OC on your CPU or GPU?

No overclocking whatsoever. GPU is very slightly underclocked.

Also, my brothers hdd failed after ticking so you probably got lucky.

I would up the voltage just a slight bit.

Dont really wanna mess with the voltage.

And im pretty sure the ram is fine

if u have the bccode for the crash u can quite easy find out where the problem lies usually

if it only freeze, without bsod u can still check register for critical errors n stuff

check if u had any bsods in the past tho, with bccodes

(◑‿◐)

21 minutes ago, SooWhat said:

What OS are you using ?  I think its time you get a SSD hmmm!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

What OS are you using ?  I think its time you get a SSD hmmm!

Win 10. Really considering taking a bus to the city to get a damn ssd ?

yeah new ssd :) but i would really suggest to try with one ram Dimm just to be sur the ram is working fine !

2 minutes ago, SooWhat said:

Win 10. Really considering taking a bus to the city to get a damn ssd ?

I had a feeling.  Just spend 60 bucks on a 500GB 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

A dying disk can certainly cause a system to freeze then crash. It is waiting for info that isn't coming, and eventually falls over. Run something like CrystalDiskInfo and see what your disk reports its status as. Even if it shows ok, look for warning signs like sector reallocation events, or pending sectors. Those are signs of bad areas on the disk.

What is the ticking sound? If it is occasional, and only during activity, that's normal and are the disk heads moving around to position. If your system stops responding and you hear a regular repeating noise, that could be the drive attempting to repeatedly access the data.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

UPDATE.

Bought a 480gb kingston a400 and changed my gpu to a slightly better one.

Then it started to shut down while gaming instead of crashing and my cpu is at 60°C in the bios.

Comes out my front glass panel restricts the airflow so badly even with holes for it, the system just overheats.

I removed the glass panel and the temps dropped aprox. 15°C.   Whew

Now, I have a faster system (never going back to harddrives) that runs at a max 60°C while the gpu and the cpu are at 100%. The system hasn't crashed since.

Another thing I found out is that the heat could have damaged my temp sensor in my cpu. Aircooled 7°C isn't normal ?