Need advice on a CPU (and possibly more) upgrade.

So, I have a 1440p 144hz monitor. And I can hit 60 fps in almost all games at 1440p fine with my current rig (excluding Cities Skylines and Battlefield 5 so far as I've tested), but I am struggling to get the higher framerates.

Here's the thing, I'm exactly enticed by the idea to go out and spend $600+ on a new CPU, Motherboard, and Memory, but I know my CPU is the problem right now. It maxes out at 100% on any game I try to play now while my GPu usually doesn't get too much usage.

I've been saving up tips for a while now (I work in food if that wasn't obvious) and I have enough to buy an i7 4790k, but I wanted to get an opinion on if that was worth it, or if I should just keep saving for a little while and buy an 8700k (or something better if it comes out by the time I have enough money) and a nice new motherboard and ram.

For reference right now (if it helps) I have an Asus Z97-A with an i5 4690k running at 4.5 Ghz, an EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB, 16 GB of 1600Mhz memory, and a 750W Gold PSU.

I used to be super into the market and know the best deals and stuff for a while, but I haven't really payed attention to new CPU releases since around when x99 came out, so its been a while, and I appreciate any help. Thanks gang.

Yeah buy a used i7 4790K, failing that try and look for an i7 4770K. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Wait a few days, new Ryzen CPU's are on the horizon and are expected to be announced with detail on Monday the 27th when Dr. Lisa Su gives the keynote opening for Computex. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yeah buy a used i7 4790K, failing that try and look for an i7 4770K. 

I've never actually bought used parts online. Any good tips on how to not end up with something broken? That's my biggest concern with it really

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Wait a few days, new Ryzen CPU's are on the horizon and are expected to be announced with detail on Monday the 27th when Dr. Lisa Su gives the keynote opening for Computex. 

Anything that will end up making me buy a new Motherboard and DDR4 I'll have to wait for anyways ?

Just now, Metaformed said:

I've never actually bought used parts online. Any good tips on how to not end up with something broken? That's my biggest concern with it really

The only advise I can give you is that if something looks too good to be true then it probably is.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I think you would be better off with getting a ryzen 2700 for $200 or a 9400F for $150 unless you can get a smoking deal on the 4790k. If you buy from eBay you have buyer protection. 

39 minutes ago, Metaformed said:

Anything that will end up making me buy a new Motherboard and DDR4 I'll have to wait for anyways ?

Save up a bit longer, and Bt the time Q3 comes and we have the release of zen 2, it should push prices down of the previous gen (zen+).

ar that time get yourself a B450+2600x or 2700x combo. Can keep your current GPU as the 1070 is totally fine. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

34 minutes ago, Metaformed said:

If you can drop-by to that store, go and test it instead of trusting the seller that "This works fine". There are alot of buyers that got scammed because of the sweet talk of the seller. If you don't want to do that, then save your cash and wait for better deals.

This is just my opinion, but if you can still play on you system, then stay on it just a bit. I dont see any sense on upgrading your system if you can still use it normally. Tune down some settings to achieve high frame rates for now, while waiting for a better deal. 

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

8 hours ago, Code.016 said:

if you can still play on you system, then stay on it just a bit. I dont see any sense on upgrading your system if you can still use it normally. Tune down some settings to achieve high frame rates for now, while waiting for a better deal. 

Some games that I play frequently (Cities Skylines and BF5) mainly aren't even hitting 60fps on 1440p because of my cpu unfortunately. I'm not in a major rush to upgrade, but Cities is my go to destress game and I play it almost daily, so having it at a reasonable fps would be very nice.

12 hours ago, Metaformed said:

Some games that I play frequently (Cities Skylines and BF5) mainly aren't even hitting 60fps on 1440p because of my cpu unfortunately. I'm not in a major rush to upgrade, but Cities is my go to destress game and I play it almost daily, so having it at a reasonable fps would be very nice.

If that is the case, then you should really save up your money and buy a much reasonable upgrade, like new series of ryzen or intel. The downside is that you will need to replace your exisiting mobo and ram, but compare that to the performance that you will be getting, i think its much better than instead of just upgrading one item.

Dont go to the path that we've gone. most of the people here rushed their builds, even paying a full retail price of newly released parts. But i tell you now, two to three years after you bought it, the price will go down and you'll just regret your decisions before. Save up and buy your parts that will benefit you the most, without sacrificing one thing. 

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

10 hours ago, Code.016 said:

If that is the case, then you should really save up your money and buy a much reasonable upgrade, like new series of ryzen or intel. The downside is that you will need to replace your exisiting mobo and ram, but compare that to the performance that you will be getting, i think its much better than instead of just upgrading one item.

Dont go to the path that we've gone. most of the people here rushed their builds, even paying a full retail price of newly released parts. But i tell you now, two to three years after you bought it, the price will go down and you'll just regret your decisions before. Save up and buy your parts that will benefit you the most, without sacrificing one thing. 

That is definitely what I'm going for I think. I'd prefer to just upgrade and be done with it after. Just ognna keep on picking up those shifts :)