Cpu wont overclock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQiCvj0dTa0

Msi p67a-c45 b3, i tried everything, win7 win10 disabling power saving eist speedstep turbo c states updating bios, etc etc, its just not working. Inside bios it does say its apparently running at 4.2, but in os its not. It goes 3.9 max

4 minutes ago, UberInferno said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQiCvj0dTa0

Msi p67a-c45 b3, i tried everything, win7 win10 disabling power saving eist speedstep turbo c states updating bios, etc etc, its just not working. Inside bios it does say its apparently running at 4.2, but in os its not. It goes 3.9 max

i7-2600 is a locked CPU, you can't overclock it by changing the multiplier, though you can overclock it by changing the BCLK, 104.3 x 34 = 3.55Ghz which is what you were seeing

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

47 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

i7-2600 is a locked CPU, you can't overclock it by changing the multiplier, though you can overclock it by changing the BCLK, 104.3 x 34 = 3.55Ghz which is what you were seeing

No, it can be overclocked to 4.2, its unclocked to x42, its just something else. Look up on youtube, people have done 4.2ghz without touching bclk

8 minutes ago, UberInferno said:

No, it can be overclocked to 4.2, its unclocked to x42, its just something else. Look up on youtube, people have done 4.2ghz without touching bclk

Maybe with a modified BIOS, but not the stock BIOS

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

Maybe with a modified BIOS, but not the stock BIOS

nope.

31 minutes ago, UberInferno said:

nope.

as it turns out you can only increase the multiplier by 4, so since the i7-2600 has an all-core boost of 3.5Ghz, you can only increase it to 3.9Ghz for all cores, you can get 4.2Ghz on 1 core but it will fall back to 3.9Ghz when you use multiple cores

limitedunlock.jpg

17 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

as it turns out you can only increase the multiplier by 4, so since the i7-2600 has an all-core boost of 3.5Ghz, you can only increase it to 3.9Ghz for all cores, you can get 4.2Ghz on 1 core but it will fall back to 3.9Ghz when you use multiple cores

limitedunlock.jpg

in that case it should be x42 x41 x40 x39, but all of them are running x39, checked through msi afterburner and msi control center

3 hours ago, UberInferno said:

in that case it should be x42 x41 x40 x39, but all of them are running x39, checked through msi afterburner and msi control center

Yes, but I have no idea how you can set the ratio manually, and have the CPU reach turbo speeds at the same time, Turbo manages the cores automatically according to how many cores are being used

Usually when you set the ratio manually you lock the CPU at that ratio and you disable the turbo functionality and you have all cores running at the same speed, maybe there's a way to have both, so check in BIOS to disable or enable some settings and experiment i guess?

Also the CPU wouldn't clock to 42 when all cores are active, only when there's one active

Disabling SpeedStep, Intel turbo boost and disabling all of the C States are all bad ideas.  You need to have at least the C3 C state enabled to overclock Intel's limited CPUs and achieve the 42 multiplier when a single core is active.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, unclewebb said:

Disabling SpeedStep, Intel turbo boost and disabling all of the C States are all bad ideas.  You need to have at least the C3 C state enabled to overclock Intel's limited CPUs and achieve the 42 multiplier when a single core is active.

i had it on and it didnt work, so i tried disabling which did nothing

I finally had a look at your video.  Do not use that screen in Windows to determine your CPU speed.  It is not accurate.  

Run ThrottleStop instead. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

ks3PMS5.png

Pretty easy to see that the maximum 36 multiplier is being used on my 4700MQ when a single core is active.  It is the only app that accurately reports the CPU multiplier when an Intel CPU is partially loaded.  ThrottleStop will let you confirm that SpeedStep is enabled.  Make sure Disable Turbo is not checked and that your C states are enabled and working correctly when the CPU is idle. 

Run the built in TS Bench benchmark and set it to 1 Thread.  Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while that test is running and the CPU is loaded.  

On 5/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, unclewebb said:

I finally had a look at your video.  Do not use that screen in Windows to determine your CPU speed.  It is not accurate.  

Run ThrottleStop instead. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

ks3PMS5.png

Pretty easy to see that the maximum 36 multiplier is being used on my 4700MQ when a single core is active.  It is the only app that accurately reports the CPU multiplier when an Intel CPU is partially loaded.  ThrottleStop will let you confirm that SpeedStep is enabled.  Make sure Disable Turbo is not checked and that your C states are enabled and working correctly when the CPU is idle. 

Run the built in TS Bench benchmark and set it to 1 Thread.  Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while that test is running and the CPU is loaded.  

3.9 all across

3.9 GHz is correct when all 4 cores are active.  If you are never seeing more than 3.9 GHz in ThrottleStop then open up the C States window and make sure your C States are enabled.  On the locked non-K CPUs like you have, you need to enable at least core C3 in the bios so the highest multiplier (42) can be used when a single core is active.  Post a pic of the C States window when your CPU is idle and post a pic of ThrottleStop while a single thread TS Bench test is running.