Extremely over heating gtx 1070.

Venomous468
Go to solution Solved by wills95,
31 minutes ago, Venomous468 said:

Can i use arctic silver 5 more freely? It isn't bad if it touches the resistors right?

Artic Silver 5 is non conductive, so it should be fine. Apply liberally, remember a GPU die is a lot larger than a CPU die. An X from corner to corner with dots in-between the lines seems to work well for GPU paste application. Also make sure your heatsink fins are clean, and you have good case airflow. 

Hello, i have a PNY GTX 1070 which tends to over heat alot about 80c on full load. I changed the stock thermal paste with arctic silver 5 and i used as little as possible cuz i was scared of it touching and shorting the resistors. Should i use arctic silver 5 a little more if its safe? 

80 celsuis isn't overheating

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

and recommended for paste is a micron thin layer covering the entire chip

9 minutes ago, Venomous468 said:

Hello, i have a PNY GTX 1070 which tends to over heat alot about 80c on full load. I changed the stock thermal paste with arctic silver 5 and i used as little as possible cuz i was scared of it touching and shorting the resistors. Should i use arctic silver 5 a little more if its safe? 

Clean the fins on the heatsink and the fan with a compressed air can.(I've managed the same high pressure effect with a hair dryer set on cool air and a DIY paper funnel). I'd personally use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on that GPU, it has superior thermal conductivity to basically any other non-electrically conductive and non curing thermal paste out there. Gamers Nexus has used Kryonaut on GPUs many times and even had it squish onto stuff outside of the GPU die.

Also, 80C isn't overheating. High temps though, possibly due to shitty cooler. What exact model is it?

3 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Clean the fins on the heatsink and the fan with a compressed air can.(I've managed the same high pressure effect with a hair dryer set on cool air and a DIY paper funnel). I'd personally use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on that GPU, it has superior thermal conductivity to basically any other non-electrically conductive and non curing thermal paste out there. Gamers Nexus has used Kryonaut on GPUs many times and even had it squish onto stuff outside of the GPU die.

Also, 80C isn't overheating. High temps though, possibly due to shitty cooler. What exact model is it?

Can i use arctic silver 5 more freely? It isn't bad if it touches the resistors right?

31 minutes ago, Venomous468 said:

Artic Silver 5 is non conductive, so it should be fine. Apply liberally, remember a GPU die is a lot larger than a CPU die. An X from corner to corner with dots in-between the lines seems to work well for GPU paste application. Also make sure your heatsink fins are clean, and you have good case airflow. 

Main rig-- Corsair 460x, Asus Strix z270, i7 7700k @4.8 1.3v, Noctua u14s, 16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengence RGB Pro, Asus Strix 1080ti OC, Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, 2x Seagate FireCuda 2tb, EVGA SuperNova G3 750w Gold, 6 Corsair LL120 RGB fans

HT/VR Mini ITX build-- Thermaltake Core V1, Gigabyte z270n WiFi, i5 7600k @4.8 1.3v, Thermaltake Contac Silent 12, 16gb Gskill Aegis 3000mhz, Zotac RTX 2060, 1tb Inland SSD, PowerSpec 650w Bronze, stock case fans