which gaming laptop?

Welp, I'll start off apologizing because I don't know where this post goes and even if I did I wouldn't know how to put it there (this is my first time using the LTT forums in a while). Anyway.... I'm currently a high schooler (10th grade) and I've got the opportunity to pick a gaming laptop of which would be used for school and would probably remain my main gaming pc till I graduate. The current dilemma if you will, is that I don't know which laptop I should go with. I'm browsing the options at BestBuy (ik ik but it's my only option because of a list of reasons) and I really like the Alienware 17 1070OC 1440p 120hz i7 8750h laptop (1,999) as well as a Triton 500 (1,799) speced nearly the same but with a 2060/144hz panel and the MSI gs65 with the newer and "better" i7 9750h as well as a 2060, 32gb of ram, and 240hz panel (1,999). I could really use some help deciding because even though the AW costs more with a "less performing" GPU, I like the looks and thermals bc I spend most of my time playing rainbow six for hours on end (I wont put down the number in fear of being judged </3) and I only really need to move my laptop a few times a day (classes are 1h30m). Plus RTX hasn't really taken off and I don't need a ray tracing GPU anyway being rainbow six is the only (yes...only) game I play, so wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a better built, tank of a machine? Honestly, if you guys can give me any suggestions on any 120hz+ laptop under 2k id really appreciate it. this is gonna be my laptop for quite some time and undergo some heavy stress with long gaming sessions a few occasional drops, and long hours of CAD and unity which is why I'm spending so much). 

also...I already have a desktop (R7 2700, 580 4gb, 16gb ram) that is okay but I would probably sell it after making a decision on the laptop.

Also like I mentioned above, I'm quite new to forums among the internet in general so pls go easy on me and I'm sorry for anything of which I may have done wrong.

I would get the best for thermals as they should all be great for gaming.. I have an MSI GE72VR Apche Pro (7700HQ and GTX 1060) and it gamed like a champ with a 1080p display and handled everything else I did (web design)..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I would get the best for thermals as they should all be great for gaming.. I have an MSI GE72VR Apche Pro (7700HQ and GTX 1060) and it gamed like a champ with a 1080p display and handled everything else I did (web design)..

that what I think but at the same time I don't really know if the Triton or GS65 can compete on par with the Alienware (thermal wise) bc if it did it would probably sway my decision.

Thanks for the speedy reply! ❤️

I like MSI.. There laptops are really nice.. I love my GE72VR, although I never use it unless on vacation lol.

I would get one of these over the Alienware.. I feel they're a little pricier for what you get, kind of like Apple..

15.6" $1,999

17.3" $1,999

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

3 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I like MSI.. There laptops are really nice.. I love my GE72VR, although I never use it unless on vacation lol.

I would get one of these over the Alienware.. I feel they're a little pricier for what you get, kind of like Apple..

15.6" $1,999

17.3" $1,999

hmmm ill think about it, although i do Like the direction MSI is headed in now with their laptops 

Just now, weary said:

hmmm ill think about it, although i do Like the direction MSI is headed in now with their laptops 

Are you set on BestBuy? They have that model with lower specs on other websites like Amazon (you really don't need those specs for the panel they provide).. I would look at the GE75 and GE63 variants for decent cooling..

I would get this bad boy.. 144hz 1080p display with I7 and RTX 2060.. $100 more for the larger 17.3"..

3 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Are you set on BestBuy? They have that model with lower specs on other websites like Amazon (you really don't need those specs for the panel they provide).. I would look at the GE75 and GE63 variants for decent cooling..

I would get this bad boy.. 144hz 1080p display with I7 and RTX 2060.. $100 more for the larger 17.3"..

yeah because financing options are easier and better. I actually noticed the same 17.3 inch laptop on best buy and I'm considering it. But i really do appreciate the alienwares striking beauty and i figure since it has good thermals (i still dont know if the other laptops have better or the equivalent thermals) and rtx hasn't taking off i could hold off on the other laptops and wait till graduation?

15 minutes ago, weary said:

yeah because financing options are easier and better. I actually noticed the same 17.3 inch laptop on best buy and I'm considering it. But i really do appreciate the alienwares striking beauty and i figure since it has good thermals (i still dont know if the other laptops have better or the equivalent thermals) and rtx hasn't taking off i could hold off on the other laptops and wait till graduation?

The Alienware is nice but for the same price you get more with MSI.. The MSI should be just fine thermally as I've never had a problem with mine and that ones probably better than mine.. They will all get warm to the touch, though..

RTX hasn't really taken off, you're right.. But you still get better parts for the same price as the Alienware, so just keep that in mind.. I think the cooling on the ones I linked are more than enough for a "laptop."

5 hours ago, weary said:

under 2k

Where are you from? Any preference on weight and battery life?

FYI, MSI 7th gen models (except GT) have CPU overheating issue. Also don't forget about the common hinge issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Any preference on weight and battery life?

FYI, MSI 7th gen models (except GT) have CPU overheating issue. Also don't forget about the common hinge issue

I’m in the US (Virginia) and weight and battery life don’t bother me to much considering I’d be using my laptop for hours at a time in each class and only moving it 6 times between classes the entire day.

i did not know that thanks for the heads up!

10 minutes ago, weary said:

I’m in the US (Virginia) and weight and battery life don’t bother me to much

Fine with 2060/1070 laptops? Or you want 2070 (no Max-Q) laptops? If you're fine with 2060/1070, you can lower down your budget actually

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Fine with 2060/1070 laptops? Or you want 2070 (no Max-Q) laptops? If you're fine with 2060/1070, you can lower down your budget actually

Im open to any suggestions as long as the laptop has 120+ hz, can last long gaming sessions, and has good thermals. 

Under $1500, sorted based on cooling performance (all have at least OK cooling):

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R, CyberpowerPC Tracer III 17S Slim VR / 17R Xtreme

Clevo NH58RDQ/EDQ, NH70RDQ/EDQ

Lenovo Legion Y740 15 81HE005XUS

Clevo P970RD/ED

Eluktronics Mech-15 G2, CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15Z Slim VR

Clevo P960RD/ED, P950EF

HP Omen 15-dc customize

Sorted based on build quality (all have at least OK build quality):

Spoiler

Clevo P960RD/ED, P950EF

Clevo P970RD/ED

HP Omen 15-dc customize

Eluktronics Mech-15 G2, CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15Z Slim VR

Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R, CyberpowerPC Tracer III 17S Slim VR / 17R Xtreme

Lenovo Legion Y740 15 81HE005XUS

Clevo NH58RDQ/EDQ, NH70RDQ/EDQ

I highly suggest getting dual channel memory for increased gaming performance. Also, I highly suggest buying Clevo from HIDevolution

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

I am also lookin to buy a new gaming laptop.... wich model would you choose for about the same price....  ?  thanks for the advice

MSI GT75 8RG-099CA Titan Desktop Performance Gaming Notebook 17.3" 4K UHD (3840x2160) Intel Core i9-8950HK (2.90 GHz) 32GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 8GB, VR Ready Windows 10 Home

or

MSI GT75 8SG-081CA Titan Desktop Performance Gaming Notebook 17.3" FHD (1920x1080) 144Hz Intel Core Core i7-8750H (2.20 GHz) 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8G GDDR6 Windows 10 Home

On 5/16/2019 at 11:31 PM, weary said:

Welp, I'll start off apologizing because I don't know where this post goes and even if I did I wouldn't know how to put it there (this is my first time using the LTT forums in a while). Anyway.... I'm currently a high schooler (10th grade) and I've got the opportunity to pick a gaming laptop of which would be used for school and would probably remain my main gaming pc till I graduate. The current dilemma if you will, is that I don't know which laptop I should go with. I'm browsing the options at BestBuy (ik ik but it's my only option because of a list of reasons) and I really like the Alienware 17 1070OC 1440p 120hz i7 8750h laptop (1,999) as well as a Triton 500 (1,799) speced nearly the same but with a 2060/144hz panel and the MSI gs65 with the newer and "better" i7 9750h as well as a 2060, 32gb of ram, and 240hz panel (1,999). I could really use some help deciding because even though the AW costs more with a "less performing" GPU, I like the looks and thermals bc I spend most of my time playing rainbow six for hours on end (I wont put down the number in fear of being judged </3) and I only really need to move my laptop a few times a day (classes are 1h30m). Plus RTX hasn't really taken off and I don't need a ray tracing GPU anyway being rainbow six is the only (yes...only) game I play, so wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a better built, tank of a machine? Honestly, if you guys can give me any suggestions on any 120hz+ laptop under 2k id really appreciate it. this is gonna be my laptop for quite some time and undergo some heavy stress with long gaming sessions a few occasional drops, and long hours of CAD and unity which is why I'm spending so much). 

also...I already have a desktop (R7 2700, 580 4gb, 16gb ram) that is okay but I would probably sell it after making a decision on the laptop.

Also like I mentioned above, I'm quite new to forums among the internet in general so pls go easy on me and I'm sorry for anything of which I may have done wrong.

So firstly i must tell you the gs65 isn't the laptop with good build quality and lacks easy upgradability. You said you don't want rtx but you seem like you are excited by the 9th gen H series CPUs. Most of them come with rtx if not it's a gtx 1660ti or 1650 you are leaning towards and not all companies have added them. Well if you will be interested in 8th gen and nvidia 10 series I suggest the razer blade gtx 1060 or 1070 mercury white 144hz. If you want RTX razer has the 9th gen CPUs with rtx. MSI have their gs65 with the 9th gen H and gtx 1660ti. Gigabyte has their aorus 15x with 9th gen H and 1660ti if you are into their design. Well there are many budget laptops with the 16 series gpus and 9th gen cpus or amd ryzen 7s, most have low color accuracy and most likely aren't flagship if you are into that stuff. Most od the gtx 16 series laptops are hard to find but honestly theres nothing wrong with getting rtx even if you wouldn't use it any time soon.