Optimised airflow for H100i in H440

Lachrymal

Which fans will be pulling air out of the case for best cooling? Just the radiator fans or both radiator and rear? I was also considering the Kraken x60, but I'm already over budget...

h440_wt_fan-650x0.jpg

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I'd do it at the top, where you exhaust heat out of the case 

also I'd recommend getting the H220x or the H105 instead of the H100i if this is a new build

I'd basically turn the rear fan around and only use the top fans on your aio as an exhaust

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

You should actually use the top and front as intakes and the one rear fan as exhaust. This will allow the inside of your case to have positive pressure, meaning any passive ventilation (vents that don't have fans) will push air out instead of taking air and debris in, which can lead to more dust. Make sure you have dust filters on all of your intakes, filters are not needed for exhausts as they will be pushing air outside, not in.

Source (please read for more info):http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_positive&area=en

I always keep the front fans as intake and the rear/top as exhaust.

This is the way my case is laid out:

yZTCBtml.png

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

You should actually use the top and front as intakes and the one rear fan as exhaust. This will allow the inside of your case to have positive pressure, meaning any passive ventilation (vents that don't have fans) will push air out instead of taking air and debris in, which can lead to more dust. Make sure you have dust filters on all of your intakes, filters are not needed for exhausts as they will be pushing air outside, not in.

Source (please read for more info):http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_positive&area=en

This is basically what I heard from Linus on one of the streams....

I always keep the front fans as intake and the rear/top as exhaust.

This is the way my case is laid out:

This is how I'd have it as well, though I wasn't aware the rings on the rad fans would be facing out, so that's nice. But I am unclear if this rear 3-fan and/or positive pressure setup pertains to my tower. Would a psu shroud make an affect on your suggestions?

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

This is how I'd have it as well, though I wasn't aware the rings on the rad fans would be facing out, so that's nice. But I am unclear if this rear 3-fan and/or positive pressure setup pertains to my tower. Would a psu shroud make an affect on your suggestions?

Nope as the PSU draws air up from the floor and pushes it out the back of its own unit. It doesn't really effect the air pressure dynamic. I plan on getting a shroud made for me soon.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Don't forget that the NZXT H440 seperates the PSU from the rest of the system, so your graphics card(s) won't intake air from the PSU fan.

Don't forget that the NZXT H440 seperates the PSU from the rest of the system, so your graphics card(s) won't intake air from the PSU fan.

That's what I what I was implying. Not sure if the unobstructed airflow with 3 120's from the front panel makes up for this but I hope so. I wonder if a bronze psu would be a bad idea in such a tight area.

That's what I what I was implying. Not sure if the unobstructed airflow with 3 120's from the front panel makes up for this but I hope so. I wonder if a bronze psu would be a bad idea in such a tight area.

No, it wouldn't be a bad idea. The PSU will intake air from the bottom, which is raised up about 1.5 inches, so it should be able to have enough ventilation. The H440 is far from being the case with the best ventilation, but it certainly isn't the worst. Every fan should produce enough airflow, provided that the case is placed in a well-ventilated area.

Yeah, maybe I'd like to go with a slightly bigger rad and switch to Kraken x60. How do I position the rad for the Kraken in the H440? Diagram?

Yeah, maybe I'd like to go with a slightly bigger rad and switch to Kraken x60. How do I position the rad for the Kraken in the H440? Diagram?

maybe:

DSC_1783.jpg

or the radiator could be flipped around, but i'd guess that the rear fan would impede the rear 140 fan.

maybe:

or the radiator could be flipped around, but i'd guess that the rear fan would impede the rear 140 fan.

Alright, so the fans will be showing. Are the fans on that known to be a bit too loud like the H100i? Should I replace them?

Alright, so the fans will be showing. Are the fans on that known to be a bit too loud like the H100i? Should I replace them?

should you replace them? depends on your tolerance to noise. there are better

options available, but that means spending more money on possible less

performance or louder than what you have.

noise blockers are great, but $28USD is a bit steep for a fan

noctuas as well, but the color can be off-putting

BGears is more performance oriented, but can get loud at 12v. 7v is not silent but useful

swiftech Helix is middle ground and inexpensive

akasa fans are hit and miss, more performance, but not silent

bitfenix spectre pros aren't the most terrible, but could be an option

you'll note the 140mm fan market is a bit spotty and not a lot of ideal selections to

choose from. but once you find the brand/sound level, you'll stick to it like glue.

should you replace them? depends on your tolerance to noise. there are better

options available, but that means spending more money on possible less

performance or louder than what you have.

noise blockers are great, but $28USD is a bit steep for a fan

noctuas as well, but the color can be off-putting

BGears is more performance oriented, but can get loud at 12v. 7v is not silent but useful

swiftech Helix is middle ground and inexpensive

akasa fans are hit and miss, more performance, but not silent

bitfenix spectre pros aren't the most terrible, but could be an option

you'll note the 140mm fan market is a bit spotty and not a lot of ideal selections to

choose from. but once you find the brand/sound level, you'll stick to it like glue.

So you're saying they're loud then....

I was thinking of these: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050009ww

So you're saying they're loud then....

I was thinking of these: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050009ww

not at all a choice of a radiator fan. the AF140 has no optimization for radiators in

having any pressure to push air through a fin array. if using the x60 software for

monitoring and fan control, you'll need to seek a PWM model to function properly.

if slaving power from a mobo header or PSU direct, then any 3-pin or 4-pin would

be useful.

NZXT recommends pull config for the X60, so that's how I installed mine. 2 fans at the top of the case, pulling air through the radiator, with the radiator beneath them.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

not at all a choice of a radiator fan. the AF140 has no optimization for radiators in

having any pressure to push air through a fin array. if using the x60 software for

monitoring and fan control, you'll need to seek a PWM model to function properly.

if slaving power from a mobo header or PSU direct, then any 3-pin or 4-pin would

be useful.

Oh, ok. Well two of these then, only after I try out the stock fans first?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10213/fan-657/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentPro_PK-1_140mm_x_25mm_Ultra_Quiet_Fan_-_700_RPM_-_9_dBA.html#blank

too slow in RPM to make the high fpi of the x60 to be efficient. you'll find this out

when using the OE fans. minimum when using high fpi would be 1200rpm to keep

a good balance of temperature and fan noise. plus that being a 3-pin means the

x60 software would be almost useless.

too slow in RPM to make the high fpi of the x60 to be efficient. you'll find this out

when using the OE fans. minimum when using high fpi would be 1200rpm to keep

a good balance of temperature and fan noise. plus that being a 3-pin means the

x60 software would be almost useless.

Ok, ok....Noctuas it is.....only if I have to.

I've read about the Apaches. I will look into these and thank you for enlightening me about proper cooler fans.

• 1 month later...

Could you mount the radiator in the front of the case. If the tubing was long enough that would be by far the most optimal way to mount the radiator.