Ubuntu Desktop 19.04 stalls at boot.

Here is a video that explains all of this in full detail:

I really need help with this.

Thank you in advance.

What are the specs on the machine, fresh install or upgrade?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

It's a fresh install every time.

Specs:

Operating Systems (Dual Boot)
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Ubuntu Desktop x64

CPU
    Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40GHz
    Westmere-EP 32nm Technology
RAM
    6.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz
Motherboard
    LENOVO Lenovo (1366-pin LGA)
Graphics
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)
Storage
    238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD))
    1863GB TOSHIBA HDWD120 (SATA)
    298GB Hitachi HGST HTS725032A7E630 (SATA)

So since you already got through the live (boot from the usb) environment (without any issues I suppose), I do not think it is any driver or general hardware incompatibility.

There are a few things I would try if you can:

1 - Have you tried another, non Ubuntu-based distro? I would usually recommend manjaro. Just to try if for some reason it might have to do something with that.

2 - I actually believe it might be an issue with you dual-booting. Is it an option to either wipe everything, or unplug your windows drive? If possible I would definitely try unplugging your windows drive and try a clean Ubuntu install once more. On the other hand I do not want to recommend you to delete everything if it does not turn out working.

3 - try to get into the tty console on the screen your stuck at now (try pressing ctrl + alt + f2) and post any error-message popping up there for helping us to help you :)

Did you install the proprietary driver during the install?
(Install third party non-free drivers in the installer options)

Also, press ESC to get a verbose output that will certainly show what's going on, if it doesn't it's still certainly a GPU issue

1 hour ago, MyMrMush said:

So since you already got through the live (boot from the usb) environment (without any issues I suppose), I do not think it is any driver or general hardware incompatibility.

There are a few things I would try if you can:

1 - Have you tried another, non Ubuntu-based distro? I would usually recommend manjaro. Just to try if for some reason it might have to do something with that.

2 - I actually believe it might be an issue with you dual-booting. Is it an option to either wipe everything, or unplug your windows drive? If possible I would definitely try unplugging your windows drive and try a clean Ubuntu install once more. On the other hand I do not want to recommend you to delete everything if it does not turn out working.

3 - try to get into the tty console on the screen your stuck at now (try pressing ctrl + alt + f2) and post any error-message popping up there for helping us to help you :)

1. I have tried Other Distros and they have run fine, but It's required that the projects be tested in a Linux Environment that uses GNOME. We've tried other distros that use KDE and  XFCE but GNOME is what we need for .DEB package installs.

2. The option of Single boot ubuntu was used and the result was the same.

3. the tty console I was able to access... it is completely blank. 

Try also this boot option, "nomodeset"
Press E at the GRUB bootloader, and add "nomodeset" after "quiet splash"

1 minute ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Did you install the proprietary driver during the install?
(Install third party non-free drivers in the installer options)

Also, press ESC to get a verbose output that will certainly show what's going on, if it doesn't it's still certainly a GPU issue

We've tried installing the NVIDIA Drivers for our graphics cards and not installing the drivers and going with the pre-installed. 

The result is still the same. Everything has worked perfectly in the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but now we've been getting stall outs since moving to 19.04.

1 minute ago, GodOfKnockers said:

We've tried installing the NVIDIA Drivers for our graphics cards and not installing the drivers and going with the pre-installed. 

The result is still the same. Everything has worked perfectly in the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but now we've been getting stall outs since moving to 19.04.

BTW I recently run into something similar, strangely it happened only with my USB 3.0 drive being used as the main OS partition, and only with the proprietary driver installed

Anyway, as I said try what I said here

3 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Try also this boot option, "nomodeset"
Press E at the GRUB bootloader, and add "nomodeset" after "quiet splash"

Remember to press ESC as soon as possible, this should immediately show a verbose output, try also to remove "quiet" and "splash" parameters, if it still doesn't work

I added the nomodeset, and that works, Ubuntu loaded without issue, and fast I might add. This time, I didn't install the NVidia Drivers. Right now the resolution is 800x600, so is it that nouveau driver that's causing the problem?

18 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

BTW I recently run into something similar, strangely it happened only with my USB 3.0 drive being used as the main OS partition, and only with the proprietary driver installed

Anyway, as I said try what I said here

Remember to press ESC as soon as possible, this should immediately show a verbose output, try also to remove "quiet" and "splash" parameters, if it still doesn't work

Forgot to mention that the Verbose output went by crazy fast but I saw nothing but green OK across the board. So I'm guessing that there is an issue with the built-in driver and that mucks everything up? If that is the case, how do I fix it?

50 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

I added the nomodeset, and that works, Ubuntu loaded without issue, and fast I might add. This time, I didn't install the NVidia Drivers. Right now the resolution is 800x600, so is it that nouveau driver that's causing the problem?

It can either be nouveau or something else, be sure to update the system at the latest update when you are in the nomodeset session, not only it will use the basic driver, but also disables any issue with the plymouth boot logo...

So after you update everything on your system, reboot, and if the issue still persist reboot with nomodeset again, install the graphics-drivers ppa repo, and install the latest graphics card driver, which should be nvidia-430

This is the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

And here you set the driver

275721488_Schermatada2019-05-1516-57-30.png.f14b9667d96246ffc6e0226ad1638ea3.png

5 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

It can either be nouveau or something else, be sure to update the system at the latest update when you are in the nomodeset session, not only it will use the basic driver, but also disables any issue with the plymouth boot logo...

So after you update everything on your system, reboot, and if the issue still persist reboot with nomodeset again, install the graphics-drivers ppa repo, and install the latest graphics card driver, which should be nvidia-430

This is the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

And here you set the driver

275721488_Schermatada2019-05-1516-57-30.png.f14b9667d96246ffc6e0226ad1638ea3.png

I did everything as stated...it still stalls out, even when I use the nomodeset.

33 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

I did everything as stated...it still stalls out, even when I use the nomodeset.

Can I have your /var/log/kern.log ?

Wait did it worked before with nomodeset

20 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

It did work with nomodeset before I installed the nvidia drivers. I'll have to boot with the usb stick so I can get to the file you want.

5 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Here is the log.

kern.log

4 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

Here is the log.

kern.log

try also to remove vt.handoff=1 first, then if still unsuccessfull remove quiet splash and vt.handoff, and again remove all of those again and just add nomodeset

Btw it looks like there are some PCI warnings, have you updated the latest BIOS? Have you tried switching the GPU to another PCI slot? Resetting BIOS? Changing PCI related settings to the BIOS?

https://superuser.com/questions/275050/lenovo-s20-workstation-allergic-to-linux

Here they say it may be a BIOS option that is not very compatible with Linux, they looks to have the exact issue

We installed Linux using the following steps:

Put the default BIOS configuration.
    Install a fresh distribution of Linux (we tried with Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 10.04, 64 Bit)
    Changed the BIOS configuration (activating the RAID)

For future reference:

I had the same problem on a Toshiba netbook (don't remember the model number). Booting from a LiveCD worked fine. When I would boot from the hard drive, the system would hang for a very long time (more than ten minutes), then resume booting. The problem was a BIOS setting. I had to change the SATA controller (?) from its default setting to "compatibility".

I may be misremembering some details. I'll edit this post tonight and add more information.

But try what I said before first

2 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Btw it looks like there are some PCI warnings, have you updated the latest BIOS? Have you tried switching the GPU to another PCI slot? Resetting BIOS? Changing PCI related settings to the BIOS?

https://superuser.com/questions/275050/lenovo-s20-workstation-allergic-to-linux

Here they say it may be a BIOS option that is not very compatible with Linux, they looks to have the exact issue

We installed Linux using the following steps:

Put the default BIOS configuration.
    Install a fresh distribution of Linux (we tried with Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 10.04, 64 Bit)
    Changed the BIOS configuration (activating the RAID)

For future reference:

I had the same problem on a Toshiba netbook (don't remember the model number). Booting from a LiveCD worked fine. When I would boot from the hard drive, the system would hang for a very long time (more than ten minutes), then resume booting. The problem was a BIOS setting. I had to change the SATA controller (?) from its default setting to "compatibility".

I may be misremembering some details. I'll edit this post tonight and add more information.

But try what I said before first

The Setting on the Sata controller is set to compatibility already.

I removed the quiet splash and vt.handoff and added the nomodeset. It loaded up to where it said:
"Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes", and then just stalls out again. If I press the power button to turn off the machine, it does show modules getting unloaded and drives becoming unmounted.

7 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

If I press the power button to turn off the machine, it does show modules getting unloaded and drives becoming unmounted.

It's normal, it's shutting down

Anyway just try resetting the bios first

BIOS cleared. Same result. I'm just gonna try a different distro. The older version worked (18.04 LTS), but we're not rolling back to that.

5 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

BIOS cleared. Same result. I'm just gonna try a different distro. The older version worked (18.04 LTS), but we're not rolling back to that.

So just try to remove the Nvidia drivers first...Boot on recovery mode with the shell, the command for removing the proprietary drivers would be "sudo apt purge *nvidia*"

Then check if it boots with nomodeset

26 minutes ago, GodOfKnockers said:

I switched to Manjaro Gnome. Everything is working like it's supposed to now.

It's really strange btw... Have you checked the hash of the md5 iso you were using?